Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Best Airfilter

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2003, 07:22 PM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now maybe this maybe that time !!

My personal prefernce would be the HKS RSK but then again this is only my experience of the EVO scene, so could mean didly squat for a Scoob,

what do you guys reckon the car is a Sub '03 STI PPP, any sugestions would be much apreciated,

Ta Mark.
Old 11 June 2003, 07:50 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

Ive also asked this in the past, the general consensious of opinion on these pages is that the K&N is the safest, with regards to oil contamination fouling up the MAF (from various other filters) and vibration fecking up the MAF also.
Old 11 June 2003, 07:53 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

If you really want an induction kit, the K&N seems to be about the safest.

Maybe try a decent quality panel filter though.

hope this helps,
simon
Old 11 June 2003, 07:56 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

K&M is the best bet,mate!My scooby had it fitted a fortnight ago and wow,it really feels lighter and the sound of the air rush under the bonnet is well cool !
Old 11 June 2003, 08:04 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Is fitting an induction kit / panel filter an easy job to do yourself, or is it best left in professional hands ? If it can be DIY'd can anyone point me to a 'how to' guide ?

Old 11 June 2003, 08:06 PM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

basicly I was expecting this answer but should I rule out the HKS RSK, Apexi or Blitz or is it definatly the K&N i just want to be totally sure as the car is getting a bit of treatent afte a bit of an accident I.e induction boost controller, up the boost conrod bolts straight through exhaust, new front bumper lol

ta guys mark
Old 14 June 2003, 11:25 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Answer to MJW- Fitting K&N induction kit was a piece of p**s,believe me!It took me 30 mins and yes,if you know little bit about car mechanics even as an enthusiast,just follow the instructions and you are away!It is DIY.Good luck,mate!
Old 16 June 2003, 06:07 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

CTRnutter,may I please let you know something?Read my topic under Technical general before you by K&M induction kit.I have created a fault since I have had it(10 days ago)which will cost me £178 + vat to get it fixed.I only spotted the fault this weekend.Sorry for singing praises about it before.It did improve the performance of the car but I have doubts now!Research more and by the best one.
Old 16 June 2003, 06:18 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Yep K&N is your best bet (quality is next to non!!) i visited thier R&D site and had the tour. make sure you get the right one for YOUR car as each one is made to 'balance' with the car requirements. Ask for a filter for a STi 03 thats your car and not just for a scooby.

Lifetime or 1,000,000 mile warranty, say no more

Steve
Old 16 June 2003, 06:42 PM
sqwint
Scooby Regular

According to this months japanese performance magazine, Paul from TSL carried out extensive testing on his highly tuned 22b, and found that the "green" Panel filter was the "most efficient at flowing air into the engine" They tested it with a Motec air flow filter, tried lots of different filters to accurately measure the amount of air being flowed by each filter. They got "more air flowing using the Green Panel Filter that they did with any other induction kit"

hope that this is useful, and thanks to jap performance and Paul at TSL for the info I just quoted from the magazine

Sqwint
Old 16 June 2003, 07:04 PM
CTRnutter
Scooby Regular

thanks guys for all your advice
Old 16 June 2003, 07:52 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

For Steve 001-Please do not make fun of other's suggestions.In my last email I genuinely warned CTRnutter about my recent experience with it.He was asking for suggestion for STI3-not just another scooby. Don't put other scoobies down in front of STIs.I am sure many other scoobynetters will not like it.Try not to look down upon other scooby just because you have STI.
Old 17 June 2003, 12:27 PM
wrc78
Scooby Newbie

This might help.

A test performed in 1999 :
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filters_test/2/

Original Japanese scans :
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/fil...t/1/index.html

I do own an APEXi one and I'm very pleased with it on an Impreza '96.
Old 17 June 2003, 06:13 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

For Steve 001-Please do not make fun of other's suggestions.In my last email I genuinely warned CTRnutter about my recent experience with it.He was asking for suggestion for STI3-not just another scooby. Don't put other scoobies down in front of STIs.I am sure many other scoobynetters will not like it.Try not to look down upon other scooby just because you have STI.

Turbohot - Sorry but i'm

i did not read your post (as you were prob writing yours as i was doin mine )

i was not putting anyone down (i try VERY hard NOT to)

i DONT own an STi (I wish)

my comments were made because K&N's are specifically made for each car, i know this as when i asked my buddy at K&N R&D about one for my bugeye he told me that it was still under delevopement (as it happens the day in question a scoob was in the workshop with the bonnet up). in other words, the K&N made for lets say the classic MY98 will not be the same filter required for the new age cars.

Right, now thats out of the way .

SORRY

Old 06 November 2003, 09:45 PM
Leviathan
Scooby Regular

Ive heard a few times that the HKS has to much oil onit, coming off and fouling MAF. Also ive heard of people removing the Blitz and finding the hot wire or film or whatever in the MAF coated in dirt getting through the 'dry' blitz.
Dont know about the Apexi!

[Edited by Leviathan - 6/11/2003 9:46:35 PM]