Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

my99 reliable BHP increase?

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2003, 10:46 AM
916Duke
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guys - I've been hooked on scoobs ever since my mate owned a fully prepped PPP'd '98 car a few years ago. I've been reading up on Scoobynet for quite a few months now and I finally bought my first scoob about 6 weeks ago - A standard UK 4dr MY99 V plate with 24k miles. I've since added a scoobysport B/B just to obtain the burble...
My question is - What is the best (safest?) way to obtain a reliable increase in power? I'm not after huge amounts, say 30-40bhp preferably with a healthy increase in tourque. I've read about Dawes and Ecuteks and I guess I'm a little confused!
If I go for an BHP increase of this size do I really need a knocklink and boost gauge etc? I'd really prefer not to fully de-cat as I don't want the hassle of changing exhaust for the MOT. Any advice would be welcome........Thanks.
Old 05 June 2003, 10:50 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just get a downpipe and retain the centre pipe. Get it super hot and it should go through an MOT.

Old 05 June 2003, 11:09 AM
T-uk
Scooby Regular

as far as I am concerned all scoobs should have a knocklink and boost gauge as a minimum. lambda is also a good idea.

it is scary how even standard cars can det so all precaution should be taken to react to it, especially if a maf sensor was to pack in and lean the car out.

my own car is a MY00 and I fitted a back box, then knocklink/lambdalink,boost gauge then fully decatted. I have tried a few different ECU's but have a john banks remap at the moment. as you have a MY99, there is a very good chance you have a better ECU as standard than my MY00(they changed them to gutless heaps in late1999/early2000). if you lift the passenger footwell carpet and remove kick plate you will see the ECU, ae800 is best and a ae801 is similar but with a bit richer running IIRC, ae802 is p1sh. if you have one of the good ones I would get a decat down pipe,knocklink,boost gauge and try a dawes. this on my car was a very good road set-up although on track the knocklink did get active with the boost set close to fuel cut.

as brun said leaving the centre cat should let it pass a mot.

[Edited by T-uk - 05/06/2003 11:11:28]
Old 05 June 2003, 11:34 AM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

A decat down pipe and Dawes would be a good start as stated above, but I would also add a K&N filter element and Samco intercooler hoses to free up the breathing a little too.

You would definately need a boost gauge to setup your Dawes and a Knocklink would be useful for peace of mind, but even this is probably not necessary if you keep the boost to a respectable level, say 16psi, use optimax and don't take it on a track. Before you start tuning, it would be reasonable to get someone to check out your MAF sensor with deltadash or a select monitor to make sure it's in full working order.

Cheers

Simon
Old 05 June 2003, 01:00 PM
MickyC
Scooby Regular

Hello From Sunny Newcastle (Not the European Capital Of Culture 2008!!)

I to have a 99V Uk impreza, I have a full decat exhaust system, a blitz dual turbo timer, and a John Banks postal Map.

I have approx 35 more bhp, my car is noticeably faster, and a lot more fun to drive!

£1000 well spent!

Ta

Micky!
Old 05 June 2003, 06:07 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Get the following:

Full de-cat exhaust system (keep the centre section for MOT time!)
K&N 57i air inductor (one of the MAF friendly air filters)
Ecutek remap
Samco intercooler hoses (as the standard ones have been known to split at more than standard boost)

Boost gauge - to monitor boost levels
Knocklink - to make sure your car is not detting

That should lift your standard 215bhp up to 260bhp (or thereabouts)
Old 05 June 2003, 07:44 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

Completely agree with Andy Tangs list, but would add to that HKS plugs, (or other make), make the Ecutek a 3 (custom) and have a 3 port boost valve fitted at the same time ... have just had mine done (MY00) and the effects of the 3 port alone is incredible on boost control ... and of course the extra power / drivabilty is very inducing.

Gary
Old 06 June 2003, 08:43 AM
916Duke
Scooby Regular

OK guys - thanks very much for all your info. It's all much appreciated. I've got a fair idea of what's required now... why do I get the feeling that tuning scoobs is addictive and this could be the start of something very expensive!