Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

TEK2.5 + Dawes??

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2003, 02:28 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

I run a MY00 with a full H&S de-cat, K&N panel and a J.B. TEK 2.5 map. I have a boost gauge and a knocklink to monitor things.

I have often heard that a Dawes device and the TEK maps can work quite well together. After a search I have found people boasting of 280bhp with just the TEK 2 map and a dawes fitted (I imagine they also have at least the full exhaust).

At the last rolling road day at P.E. I hit figures of 260bhp and 262lb/ft.

These figures, whilst good, sound short of the claimed 280bhp I have read about.

Question: Can I safely increase my performance with a Dawes even if by nothing more than the turbo spooling up quicker?

[Edited by 7 Foot - 6/3/2003 2:30:30 PM]
Old 03 June 2003, 03:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

I don't know what figures you'll get on the day, but if you use a Dawes on your setup peaking to 1.25 bar/18 PSI maximum then things should be a little stronger than they are at present, particularly in lower gears. For a one size fits all postal map you have to be a bit careful to avoid det and overboost, but with a boost gauge and knocklink more can be had.

If a Tek2 car with a Dawes at 18 PSI does not det it will run more power and torque than my postal map (dubbed Tek 2.5 by some), as would a PPP. I run slightly leaner fuelling, but have to retard the ignition timing to allow these sorts of boost levels. I would not suggest a Tek 2 with a Dawes as on some cars at this level of boost it will det.

Just a different approach, I think they go a little better with less fuel, more boost and retarded timing to suit. Some cars will det quite badly on PPP or Tek 2 timing with a Dawes, hence why I do things the way I do.

If you are prepared to run octane booster you'll get more out of it, Optimax should be minimum for using these sorts of boost levels, and it should be turned down for the track.
Old 03 June 2003, 03:26 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I got 257/258 on the rollers at PE with my MY99 UK car, same spec as yours Tek2.5, dawes etc, but I had a HKS Hiper mid/backbox.

They did say it was running very rich still and I could have run more boost, but then I got days when it peaked to 1.5bar on the defi's, others when it was only 1.3

Seems a bit of a hit and miss science looking at peak boost readings though.

Old 03 June 2003, 03:36 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Hi John was hoping it wouldn't be too long before you noticed the thread

So it will still be safe reliable power? As long as I use decent fuel and keep an eye on things.
Old 03 June 2003, 04:33 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

That is the way I have written the maps, no one has had any problems. It is dimishing returns zone on such a small turbo though.
Old 03 June 2003, 04:47 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Smile

Cheers John, now I have your blessing I am off to the shops .

Would be interested to hear any experiences people have had with this set up. Any comments?
Old 03 June 2003, 05:52 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

Works fine for me I'm running SUL+ some NF and currently getting about 1.19-2bar in 5th on WOT in this humid weather. I'm confident I could get a little more det free but without the knocklink its not worth risking for what would be a very small return. Its a lot of fun in the cold winter nights with the snappy dawes spool up - just got to watch that backend on roundabouts

No idea about power but with a full ss zorst and a crap clutch I got 13.4 dead at 104mph for the 1/4m which is not bad IMHO
Old 04 June 2003, 09:18 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Hi Saxo - You are the only person I new of who is running this set up (I'm sure there are more, I'd just noticed and been keeping tabs on you).

Can you describe the difference in performance / car character with and without the Dawes?

I am hoping for positive feed back here as I ordered one yesterday and am just waiting for it to land on my desk.
Old 04 June 2003, 09:26 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'd love to help but there is just one problem! I've never driven it without the dawes!! I've driven and been in Sipie's car and for the most part there isn't a massive difference in 'on the road' performance. Any gain I have he makes up with superior driver skill. However, the cars do feel different to drive - his is smoother and more refined whereas mines is more raw and snappy which I like. Sometimes you've hardly touched the gas and it just takes off which is really

At £35 you can try it and if you don't like it sell it on SN for a 10 bucks loss. Another thing is that at Crail my car was beating Wuz's for the most part of the morning and he had a big turbo, FMIC, link, etc (i think). He subsequently turned his boost right up and thrashed me but initially I was getting better times and T-UK believed it was because I had virtually no lag with the small turbo and dawes
Old 04 June 2003, 10:03 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thats what I wanted to hear. Well done .

I paid £58 for mine delivered.
According to JW Racing's site though it's a new improved Hybrid.

Mines better than yours!!!
Old 04 June 2003, 10:11 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

What does it do that mines does not?
Old 04 June 2003, 10:18 AM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

All this

"By using synthetic materials that are lighter, yet stronger than steel, we have reduced the mass of the controller mechanism by 2/3. This has resulted in an improvement of .33 seconds in the reaction time of our controllers as measured in our tests (see briefing below). These controllers give you all the benefits of our Race Controller (discontinued) with the cost benefits of our classic Super Duty Boost Controller (discontinued). If you are looking for the most spike resistant, fastest acting, boost controller, at the best cost... you've found it!"

Eat my dust

Old 04 June 2003, 01:23 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

darn, you got me by a whole .33 of a second
Old 04 June 2003, 01:33 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Can't see it reducing a run by that length, maybe it opens quicker, but it has to open to control boost from going too high, so all it will help is spiking not outright performance.
Old 04 June 2003, 02:16 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Curses!!