Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Poor cold start and AFR shooting up and down - any idea's?

Search this Thread

Old 19 May 2003, 06:09 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm off to Scotland for a bit next week and suddenly the car decides to play up a bit [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] Car is a 93WRX (only mods are backbox and centre pipe)

I started the car up yesterday and noticed that my Dawes AFR was shooting up and down from lean to rich plus the car's idle was hunting slightly and almost stalling. I thought it was strange as the AFR doesn't usually come on for about 5 minutes until the lambda is warm. As I tried to drive off slowly down the road, the gauge showed I was running rich, even though I was on very light throttle. It did this for a few mins until I put my foot down and then returned to normal.

On the way back home, the car started ok, the only worrying thing was my knocklink lit up all leds at about 3,000 rpm on part throttle as I was pulling away from some lights. I took it for a quick run to see if it did anything else but nothing The knocklink never gets above one yellow led even when I'm giving it some, so why at that moment

I'm just a little worried about why it would play up like this, especially since I'm going away in it very soon.

Has anyone had this sort of thing before or can someone point me to a few things to check before next week as I'm a little paranoid now
Old 20 May 2003, 10:42 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you are losing a spark somewhere.. hence unburt fuel and rich mixture when it is burnt.

Have you changed the coil packs recently.. if not then I'd change them.. fromt experiance it transformed my cars power and starting and cold running etc..

£50 each though.. if they are newish then maybe a faulty on or the spark plugs need changing..

That would be my guess

JGM
Old 20 May 2003, 11:05 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

MAF ?
Old 20 May 2003, 11:07 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

I am going to change the plugs in the next few weeks so I'll check the coil packs at the same time. Didn't want to tempt fate by doing it before I went away. Had a thought though. I did change the battery last week so maybe it was the ecu regaining some of it's settings. I have been out once in it since changing the battery and the car had a jolly good thrash, so I presumed it had done all it's learning then I'll give it another go tomorrow and see what it's like

If it was the maf, surely it would do it all the time, not just when cold?

[Edited by Charlie H - 5/20/2003 11:09:04 PM]
Old 20 May 2003, 11:44 PM
russell hayward
Scooby Regular

I had a faulty MAF that really only showed any symptoms when cold.

Old 21 May 2003, 01:18 PM
Charlie H
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, something to bear in mind. Will have to see how the fuel ecomomy goes over the next week. I just don't fancy changing bits out for the sake of it especially since they cost so bloody much. Thinking on, my last mot was touch and go due to emissions so maybe lambda or maf could be main culprits?????