Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Is a second hand sti intercooler worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2003, 09:00 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

All i can say is that the original intercooler is complete pants for my 93WRX.

I'm currently running it with:

K and N induction Kit
SS up-pipe
SS down-pipe
Uprated fuel pump + regulator.

The car is feeling immensely sharp at the minute UNTIL you drive hard for longer than about 30 secs.

The loss of power at this point is ridiculous. You really can feel it!!

The question is what should i do? I'm looking for around 350bhp. I havent played with the boost yet but dont intend to until i can cool things significantly.

Should i buy a second hand sti intercooler or am i going to be struggling on this? I would love a FMIC but i'm guessing that i could get away with a good TMIC. If a second hand sti TMIC is not enough what do you guys suggest?

Mark

Old 13 May 2003, 09:29 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
IMHO (As an STI owner) the main benefit is in the alloy Y piece as fitted to the PPP cars.

If I were you, in this position I would fit the Chargecooler from the early Legacy turbo as it should be a direct replacement on the early scoob. The trouble is finding one.

Old 13 May 2003, 09:40 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

m8 you will struggle very hard to get a proper 350 bhp (not pub talk 350 brake) out of a 93 wrx. the injectors for a start are too small 370cc(imagine the duty cycle on those things at 300bhp, well over 90%, especially if u is running more boost). the TMIC is way too small, so charge temps is gonna go thru the roof.)

you might want to think of an STi intercooler along with a front entry turbo, and better breathing, also you might want to consider a bigger induction pipe like the BPM one.

This is what has been recommended to me (i have a 95 wrx), what you want is more torque, big bhp cars are ok but getting that punch midreange is down to torque. having said that, increase torque then you are lookin at uprating clutches, gear boxes etc.

Welcome to the wonderfull world of modding.

cheers

big sinky

Other more knowledgeable ppls on here might have different views

Old 13 May 2003, 10:31 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you need bigger injectors, 550s would be ideal.

Sti Top mount makes a big difference compared to the pre97 intercooler, so worth it if it's costing around the £250 mark to fit (including hoses and stuff).

Front entry turbo will help, and without it you're looking at running over 1.5 bar to get 350hp.

Slippery slope

Paul
Old 13 May 2003, 10:35 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

If you want an intercooler that is fractionally less efficient than an STI one then let me know and you can make an offer for my MY99 one. I replaced it with an STI 5 one but the difference it made to boost and on Delta Dash was very minimal.
Old 13 May 2003, 10:46 PM
Rich Tee
Scooby Regular

Am running a V4 interooler on my 93 wrx, definately a wothwhile mod for relatively cheap money, chekc out Jonny Gav's thread in projects or mail me if u want info on how to do it

R

Old 13 May 2003, 11:42 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

STi V intercooler is even better and will require the same mods as an STi IV intercooler to fix (as I ran an uprated STi IV TMIC on my STi V for a long time).

Rannoch
Old 14 May 2003, 12:45 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks guys, its just a little bit of research for the future. The 350bhp figure is obviously along with other mods such as the bigger injectors.

I could just get a Dawes Device and start by increasing boost but ide just blow my engine up "AGAIN"

I'm working on securing the safety of my car before upping the power and in terms of reducing DET a good intercooler would help.

If i currently reset the ECU and run the car on optimax and a very average OB the car will DET according to my knocklink. The ECU sorts itself out but obviously at the cost of performance. Hopefully with a better intercooler and an OB that will take the RON value to 100+ then the car will run better.

Anyway, appart from the car detting, it would be nice to have fun for longer than 30secs!!
Old 14 May 2003, 01:32 PM
Rich Tee
Scooby Regular

would seriously think about looking at the ECU and a re-map, dont thinkn you should be getting much if any DET with the mods that you currently have, sound as though fueling may be weak ??? have you got an afr or lambda link fitterd ??

Rich

Old 14 May 2003, 06:39 PM
Big_Mike
Scooby Newbie

Sparkster,
If you are worried about blowing your engine up why not try water injection? I dont mean spraying the IC, but injecting the water BEFORE the IC. As the water evaporates it massively cools the air, it is easily possible to cool the charge to below ambient (try finding an IC with 100% efficiency!) The reduced charge temp will eliminate knock (although other factors effect it is essentially the mixture spontaneously combusting due to excessive heat and pressure, pre-ignition can be caused by carbon deposits and the like which water injection will help remove) allowing you to run much more boost. Aquamist manufactue a kit for this.
I have run a system like this on an engine dyno whilst doing my Automotive Engineering degree and knocked the charge temp (temp of air going into engine) down from 98 deg C to 22deg C, ambient was 25deg C on that day.
Old 14 May 2003, 09:13 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Rich Tee,

I havent got an afr or Lamda Link fitted as yet but may consider one at some point in the future. After an ECU reset, i was lighting up all the lights on my Knocklink. The ECU has now done its job and i'm hardly lighting up the second green light on full welly.

I understand what your saying about the re-map. The question is do i need to spend that money? Maybe "all" i need to do is get a better intercooler, upgrade the spark plugs and run the car on NF octane booster instead of STP.

Big Mike,

Thats really interesting, i'll have a look to see what aquamist do. That is an amazing drop in temperature. I'm itching to just dial the boost up but need to do some serious chilling first

thanks

Mark