Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

3" decat exhaust that's as quiet as the OEM!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2003, 04:47 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi,

I've just swapped the exhaust on my car from a decat Haywood and Scott 3" downpipe and Blitz NUR Spec R to the MRT 3" fully decatted system with a 4" tail.

Why?

Well, basically noise. I have HKS headers too and at 350+bhp the system is totally deafening. I am hated by all my neighbours

So I wanted something with the flow but not the noise (or not as much) as I hate the Blitz with the bung in, it sounds cack.

In Australia, the cops are REALLY strict on noise emissions for exhausts and after a few conversations with the teccies at MRT, I opted for their full 3" decat system with 4" tail.

First impressions:

Looks wise, it's a gorgeous system. Extremely high quality with a flexi joint at the end of the downpipe where it meets the centre. All the joints are chrome plated and the backbox looks lovely at the rear of the car. The downpipe has a huge twin dump neck, but both pipes are molded together as one with a splitter fitted to segregate wastegate gases.

IF SOMEONE CAN HELP ME POST SOME PICS, I'LL PUT THEM UP, BUT TURBOSPORT IS STILL GOOSED I THINK.

Performance wise, the system doesn't feel to have lost or gained me anything. Although I'll soon know for sure as I'm getting the car dynoed in May.

BUT THE NOISE! The system is so quiet I can't believe it. On idle you can hardly hear it. Blip the throttle and there's a sporty rasp, but it's still quite restrained. On full chat it's nice and gruff, without being intolerable. And this is a full 3" decat. Idling it's as quiet as OEM, but the best bit is the noise it gives on spool up. You just hear TURBO. No BWWWWWWAAAAAAA! drowning it out, just spin spin spin!

Obviously it is brand new and may get a little louder after a few 100 miles. Anyone wanting to hear it can come to the Well lane rolling road day on May 18th.

Just thought I'd share this as not everyone wants to be LOUD, some prefer discreet and this is certainly that.

I have some great pics if anyone can help.

Cheers
Rich

Old 28 April 2003, 04:50 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Just to add,

The main reason it's so quiet it the rear muffler is quiet large and MRT have apparently invested a lot of time in finding a muffler that allows power without noise.

The system also fits much more snuggly under the car, so no scraping on speed humps like my Blitz did.

Cheers

Rich
Old 28 April 2003, 05:03 PM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Excellent Rich, I'll host your pics if you email them over
Old 28 April 2003, 05:32 PM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mickle,

YHM m8

Cheers

Rich
Old 28 April 2003, 06:17 PM
sparkster
Scooby Regular

ooooh bugger, your scaring me away from my Blitz which is on order at the minute
Old 28 April 2003, 07:30 PM
loscooby
Scooby Regular

The MRT-system is just what I want for my new STI -2003, quiet and not so restrictive...

Does anybody know if someone selling the MRT-exhausts in Europe or does one have to import from MRT in Australia?

/L-O
Old 28 April 2003, 09:01 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It's encouraging to hear such good results about the MRT exhaust. I have a full Scoobysport system on my car, but the MRT system was the 2nd-place alternative.

Actually it was the potential for delayed spool-up that put me off the MRT twin-dump downpipe. Have you actually found that the spool-up to at higher revs? I'm assuming with the H&S downpipe you heard the turbo spin from 2000 rpm and it started boosting ~2500 rpm (if your turbo is standard). Where does the boost come in now?

Right now I'm loving the noise of the Scoobysport system. Every time it pops it makes me chuckle. Childish perhaps, but I love it . When the noise-abatement orders start rolling in, I'll have a MRT system.
Old 28 April 2003, 09:48 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

APS is a good alternative - not sure if it's as quiet as the MRT? I'd have thought so as they have the same sphincter police
Rather more easily available too, but doesn't have the flexi-joint thingies; of course, that does make it rather cheaper...
Oops, just remembered - it has a 'split bellmouth' DP connection too, which is the 'in thing' at the moment.

[Edited by nom - 4/28/2003 9:48:57 PM]
Old 28 April 2003, 09:58 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

According to some figures I found once on nasioc.com, the MRT at 5000rpm was actually a couple of dB quieter than the prodrive exhaust. My APS (with sports cat) was about equivalent to the prodrive. Therefore, I guess that the MRT is a little quieter than the APS.

Having said that, I have an APS system (from JW racing), and love it. With a splittered open neck downpipe, you can't compain at the torque either.

Rich - I had heard the MRT backbox is not quite a striaght-through? Also, do the HKS headers help quieten things down?
Old 28 April 2003, 11:21 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

"a couple of dB" is almost half the noise, right?

Rich, you mentioned the muffler being quite large; does that mean your MRT exhaust is HEAVIER than the Blitz?
Old 28 April 2003, 11:27 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Just curious..Did you buy direct, if so, how long did it take ( as other stuff that comes from MRT seems to take forever )
And how did the price compare to other systems available in the UK , inclucing VAT etc.
Old 28 April 2003, 11:36 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Yeah, in the wierd way that DBs work, 2db is almost half
To complicate things (I seriously looked into all this stuff), MRT seems to do a couple of different backboxes (or used to) - one was the quiet one (used a baffle, so iffy flow), the other one was a straight-through & had very good flow, but was actually advertised as 'for circuit use only' (presumably above the local noise regs).
I would have preferred to have gone with the MRT myself, but the price (over double the APS from where I could get details), along with the possibility of the BB being the wrong one anyway , I gave up and went for the 'cheap' option

BTW, the HKS manifold doesn't exactly quieten things down (I had one), but it does reduce the droning sound a little. Which I find is the tiring bit - especially the way they seemed to have 'tuned' the standard manifold to resonate at exactly motorway speeds - very cunning!
Old 29 April 2003, 09:09 AM
Mickle
Scooby Regular

Talking

That downpipe is a work of art!

[Edited by Mickle - 4/29/2003 9:12:55 AM]
Old 29 April 2003, 09:16 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Sparkster,

Don't worry, unless you've got 350+bhp and the HKS manifold ans stainless uppipe the Blitz shouldn't be THAT loud. Though it certainly won't be quiet!

Loscooby,

Check out MRT's website for their list of distributors
www.mrtrally.com.au

Fatman,

Spool up is slightly later. I used to get 1 bar at 3000 rpm, now it's nearer 0.5bar. Think that's because the car was mapped for the old setup. With a remap I may be able to redress the balance a bit. For the moment though it's worth it not to have everyone give you dirty looks when you drive down the street.

I know what you mean about noise abatement too, I don't think it will be long before it's that strict over here too.

Hades,

not sure what you mean by "not quite straight through", can you please expand? And no, the HKS headers are anything but quiet.

Claudius,

The system is heavier. But because it's quieter I can now remove all my sound deadening to cancel that out.

Stevie,

I bought via the UK agent Jap-Innovations. The system took 3 weeks from ordering to get to me, which isn't bad considering Easter fell in that time and it wasn't "off the shelf" it was made to my specification. The system is far from cheap. Not much change out of a bag of sand, but then you'll pay nearly that for a Blitz system and a decent 3" Dp that won't have a flexi joint.

Hopefully, Mickle will put those pics up for me today.

You have to SEE it to appreciate it.

Cheers

Rich

Old 29 April 2003, 09:17 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Ha Ha He beat me to it.

Cheers Mickle.

Rich
Old 29 April 2003, 10:23 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

By "not quite straight through", I meant it had a baffle of some description, my question is answered by nom's comment.

To put some numbers into circulation (all on MY02) :
:- MRT with OEM downpipe was 87.5dB at steady 5000rpm in neutral, 20" directly behind backbox
:- Using same measuring technique - Full APS system (including downpipe) was 90dB.
:- STi7 with prodrive backbox, TSL centre, OEM downpipe was 90.5dB.
:- Blitz with OEM downpipe was 104dB
:- However, OEM exhaust was 78dB

This is USA style measurements - UK measurements (1m behind at 45º) will give about 1-2dB less. In car noise measurements can give different results as the OEM exhaust is completely drowned out by the engine in a MY02.
Old 30 April 2003, 08:40 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

104dB!!!

No wonder I changed it. And that was with the OEM dp!!

Cheers for that info Hades

Rich
Old 30 April 2003, 02:23 PM
swaussie
Scooby Regular

LoScooby. I know you can get the MRT system here in Switzerland. I have had one fitted to my STi7. send a mail to info@mrtp.ch Nice sound without being loud as the guys have said and still breaths really well.