Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Help me interpret my deltadash log

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2003, 07:16 PM
_Tim_
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got my deltadash software, hooked it up and did a 3rd gear tickover to 7000rpm full throttle run.

The log is here: http://www.scoobywagon.com/deltadash/deltalog-ae800-200304241852.59.csv

Anyone who knows what it all means care to comment on anything? I've only had the car since Friday, have replaced the Lambda sensor and fitted a decat centre section (H&S backbox going on tomorrow).

It did have an afterburner backbox but I took it off as it's too loud.

Thanks!
Old 24 April 2003, 08:32 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normal.
Old 24 April 2003, 11:04 PM
_Tim_
Scooby Regular

Thanks John. It was running lean prior to replacing the Lambda so I guess that fixed that problem nicely.

I have another issue though, at about 80-85mph cruise I've noticed it suddenly pick up for no apparent reason, then die down, then pick up and die down, and then carry on as normal.

I managed to make it do it this evening with DD running. Log is here: http://www.scoobywagon.com/deltadash/fluctuation.csv

I swear blind I was holding a constant throttle, but by the look of the throttle sensor voltage it suggest to me it might be a dodgy TPS. Any thoughts?
Old 25 April 2003, 12:02 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Tim

If you look at the MRP the boost goes from -ve to +ve which I would think is unlikely due to a faulty TPS, unless the throttle opens slightly as there will be a finite throttle postition where +ve boost pressure in the manifold is impossible to achieve regardless of fueling/timing. Does that make sense?

In addition, I reckon you must have an MY99, if so are you using optimax? If not, you should as you're seeing some knock correction despite seeing less than 0.9bar boost. Higher octane will allow the ECU to run its max in terms of advance and slightly less fuel, therefore more power. I'd get a boost gauge and Dawes Device whilst you're at it. Only if you crave more power however. Slippery slope from there onwards. I can email you a couple of road dynos pre/post Dawes if you like.

Cheers

Simon
Old 25 April 2003, 12:41 PM
bwhinnen
Scooby Regular

Question

Just a question to go with this 80 - 84mph business, is the ECU in closed loop mode at these revs? 3200 - 3300, we are talking fairly small throttle openings to sustain this speed. Why? Becuase the Lambda readings are fluctuation a fair bit, almost if the ECU is changing fueling as well as the changes in TPS, mind you I don't know what the difference in travel between 1 and 1.16 is though [edit: ok TPS is roughly a value from 0V - 5V ?]...

Also I've noticed that it is very very easy with the standard ECU to get this sort of fluctuations at this speed, although much more sensitive at the 140kmph mark.

Cheers
Brett
MY00 (Aust Spec)

[Edited by bwhinnen - 4/25/2003 12:46:04 PM]
Old 25 April 2003, 12:49 PM
_Tim_
Scooby Regular

In addition, I reckon you must have an MY99, if so are you using optimax? If not, you should as you're seeing some knock correction despite seeing less than 0.9bar boost.
Good guess! Yes it's a UK MY99 and I am running Optimax. Actually I think that little bout of knock correction was an abberation as I've logged several more runs out and not seen it again aside from the odd small blip.
Old 25 April 2003, 12:51 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

I think the ECU can operate closed loop at any revs, so long as the throttle position is below a certain level and the car is off-boost. The mixture is swinging rich-lean-rich because it is in closed loop mode therefore aiming for stoichometric air fuel ratio.

Simon
Old 25 April 2003, 01:00 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Tim

You can heat soak the intercooler/inlet manifold very quickly with Scoobs if you are stationery for more than a minute or so, then you've got a case of interwarming until enough air has passed over them Knock here we come! I make a conscious effort to hold back until I've driven a little way in this circumstance. Unless of course I'm participating in a traffic light grand prix

Simon
Old 25 April 2003, 01:06 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of cars when standard run a bit of knock correction as short lived -1 here and there. Nothing to worry about, but agree if you want more performance use the best fuel you can. The standard ECUs run little boost but a lot of timing advance.
Old 25 April 2003, 01:31 PM
SiHethers
Scooby Regular

Talking

I suppose if you're seeing the odd small amount of KC it just means you're on the limit of ignition timing at that load/rpm point, which can be but a good thing Shame you cannot have your cake AND eat it though.

Simon