Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

fitting an sti-engine in an standard MY99

Search this Thread

Old 19 April 2003, 07:09 PM
Aram
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a question :-)=
I'm thinkin bout putting an sti-engine in my car.
I have a standard MY99.
I can get engines off most ages, they are complete with turbo, cable's, ecu, eveything.
Are there ny major problems, when fitting?
I mean like, are plugs different cable's, steering houses in the way ??
Are there problems when fitting an MY02 engine in ?
Nything?
I'm sure a few of u already have done this excersize, so please
let me know:-)=

greets

Aram

[Edited by dinges - 4/19/2003 7:11:17 PM]
Old 20 April 2003, 11:57 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

STOP!
This is just asking for trouble
Its a good plan theoretically but in practice your going to suffer a little
You will require a new loom to start with, a new ecu, the internals of the engine (injectors etc) are completely different in their set up.
My suggestion is work with the engine that you already have, you can strengthen it for the cost of what your going to be paying out to have a new engine/loom/ecu remap etc.....
Speak to someone like John Banks, Harvey or Bob Rawle (John as his uk car is quite powerful with 280bhp@wheels) and Harvey as he has one of the most powerful scoobs in the uk and Bob as he also has a very powerful STi and is one of the best mappers in the uk

Tony
Old 21 April 2003, 05:07 PM
Aram
Scooby Regular

Great, thanks for the answer Tony :-))=
But I do not know what a loom is :-(=
I do get the original ecu with the engine, it is complete with turbo, ecu, wiring, everything!
Does this help in ny way?
I am told i'll get everything with the engine to make it work :-)=

greetz

Aram
Old 22 April 2003, 01:52 AM
pat
Scooby Regular

dinges,

MY99 tends to imply early Phase II engine, so that would mean you can fit, without too much grief, an STi V or STi VI engine, you'de basically be replacing your EJ205 with an EJ207. Both engines use the same 440cc injectors, the STi will have lower compression so your ignition map should be safe, and since the standard ECU runs MAF based fuelling there shouldn't be an issue with the fuelling side of things. Of course you can get your ECU reprogrammed, with say a modified STi V map Fitting an STi VII engine is really more trouble than it's worth, but the VE improvements achieved by the version 7 heads are nothing short of astonishing... 321 BHP at one bar from a 2 litre Impreza engine was hitherto unheard of.

So what do you get for your money? Well you get the STi heads with sodium filled valves which will rev to 8000 RPM, you get the STi HF forged pistons, and theoretically a "blue printed" bottom end, the crank should be balanced at each throw, but it is no stronger than the standard item. These engines are pretty tough, I see no problem running 400 BHP on them without even going internal...

If you wanted to go internal then you'de be best off starting with a EJ20G closed deck block, MY99/00 STi Phase II heads, steel rods, forged pistons, etc. Cost will be a little higher but it should take somewhat more than the stock item But one has to ask oneself, if going internal anyway, why limit oneself to a 2 litre displacement ? You pays your money and takes your pick!

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 22 April 2003, 06:32 PM
Aram
Scooby Regular

Hi Pat
Thanks for ur very clear answer there, that's just what i was hoping to hear. :-))=
A guy i know gets these engines from japan directly, so i can make a choice out of different years and prices.
These prices are very good (for me), otherwise i was never to buy an engine like that.
Until shortly there wasnt a 2.5 engine that could handle over 300 bhp standard, now with the american sti there is, but i think it'll be way too expensive for now.
So it'll be a 2.0 litre engine.
And indeed the motivation for an STI engine is that it handle 300+ more reliable than a standard one, and perhaps even close to 400 pretty reliable.
The cost for an STI engine is pretty much the same or a tad higher (depends on year, model and milage, a MY03 type ra for example, is not achievable to me) as the cost of getting 300 hp out of my current block to indicate the price.
So what's the engine to have, an STI VI type RA ?
Again u guys are way ahead in experience and knowledge in this area :-)=

Thanks for the replies sofar :-))=

Aram

[Edited by dinges - 4/22/2003 6:33:45 PM]
Old 22 April 2003, 07:33 PM
mikeesingh
Scooby Regular

Location: Fastest 4 Clyinder Manual impreza 8.83 1/4 mile GT35 Billet
i had a sti 5 engine droped into my uk MY00, i ran it on standard uk ecu & loom (was boosting to 1.7 bar) while i was waiting for a gems to be fitted and mapped.
i would defo recommend getting a aftermarket ecu or the standard ecu mapped straight away.
i was told there is not alot difference between a STI V5 or V6 engine. 4 door sti, type R and type RA all have the same engine

mikee
Old 23 April 2003, 12:51 AM
pat
Scooby Regular

dinges,

there's no ideal engine, each has its own merits... for example, the MY93-95 STi Type RA engine has a special intake manifold with and extra injector, the homologation "Group A" heads with additional waterways, top hat shims, EJ20G closed deck block, but the pistons may not be forged. It wouldn't be a straight fit (you'de want to swap your intake manifold onto the STi engine). Alternatively if you want a plug & play engine then the STi IV engines have nice heads with sodium filled valves, under bucket shims, forged pistons, but EJ20K open deck blocks, unless the original buyer had the foresight to order one with a closed deck block (it was an option, but I've yet to see a version IV with a closed deck block).

So many choices, so many options, no single package has all the bells and whistles...

Cheers,

Pat.
Old 23 April 2003, 04:26 PM
Aram
Scooby Regular

@Mikee
Did u have problems with connectors not fitting or cable not beeing identical?
Or ny other things that needed adapting?
Pat already said it wouldn't bring much trouble with an V5 or 6 but ny info on what to expect would be nice.
U also recommend a diff ecu, u mean different than the original STI ecu?
And will an Ecutek do also?
And thanks for the reply :-)=

@Pat
Then i think i'll try to get a nice low milage MY99 or 00, and try to get the weak spots out :-)=.
Still a MY02 would be pretty nice too, with the VE and all, what are the extra problems there are when u want to build it in?
Ecu connections for one, i presume?
But besides that, nyone has experience or knows ny other probs with fitting it in?

greets

Aram

Old 23 April 2003, 04:52 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Well my faith is nearly restored in Scoobynet, This is without a doubt the most helpful post I have read on here for a very long time.

Here is another question for the techies, I have a LHD MY00 and have been offered an STI 6 engine with 32K KM on it, we have the STi6 ecu aswell but I have been told that the RHD and LHD ecus are different and the STi ecu has more connectors on it aswell.

will the STi6 engine fit in a LHD car and what else is different about it to warrent different conectors on the ecu?
Old 23 April 2003, 04:54 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it will physically fit, I would use the ecu you have imho.. check injector sizes, cam profiles are compatable

crank and cam postion sensors are the things I would check the wiring for.

David
Old 23 April 2003, 06:13 PM
Aram
Scooby Regular

Good question Wurzel! (what ur real name? "root" is a bit odd :-)=)
Because mine is left hand drive also, I'm dutch u see :-)=
David u think a ecutek would be wise directly after installing it?
I am planning to do it almost right away by Mark Verhoeven (EMS).

greets

Aram
Old 23 April 2003, 06:37 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

If the AF040/AF041, which are the STI ECUs, have the same external cover as the UK Spec AE800/801/802RHD ECUs then all you need is a MY99/00 ECU, (which in LHD are the AE780/781/782) pull the guts out of it and put the guts of the STI ECU in it. Not sure on the wiring plug/connectors though. If they are the same as the eur spec ones, no problems.

The plugconnectors from the Euro UK cars are the same for left hand drive and right hand drive. And the ECU guts fit in right hand drive and left hand drive covers.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

[Edited by WREXY - 4/23/2003 6:38:58 PM]
Old 23 April 2003, 08:31 PM
VinnyP
Scooby Regular

Following a bang I've had an enforced engine build decision. I've got a 95WRX I started off like you going for a complete later STI engine. But you don't know what your buying till it's cracked open, then you might as well pay for a rebuild. I've gone the mix and match route. Closed deck block, STI 4 Heads and STI crank, I've gone for non Subaru Pistons rods and bearings though but I could have had STI forged pistons if I'd liked. UK breakers have plenty of these (except for the blocks). I was surprised at how little it cost.

Vince
Old 23 April 2003, 08:44 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

You must swap the cam and crank position wires leading into the ecu to get a Euro ecu to start an STi engine.

Best bet to provide straight starting is to fit an STi ecu as well if you can. At least the base maps are suitable.

You can then EcuTek either it or your Euro ecu later on. There's no difference between LHD and RHD ECU's...except the model designation.

Richard
Old 24 April 2003, 05:01 PM
Aram
Scooby Regular

This great information guys!! :-))=Now I have to wait on prices and milage of engines, this will take some time.
But i'll keep u posted :-)=

greets

Aram
Old 24 April 2003, 05:11 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

dinges where about in Holland are you? only my dealer has a contact in Holland that currently has 3 STi6 engines and ecus all with around 32K KM on them.
Old 24 April 2003, 06:47 PM
Aram
Scooby Regular

I'm in Amsterdam myself but my connection is in Breda, but he's not a Subaru dealer :-)=
He imports rallycars to teams in europe, he's starting up parts now, i'm helping him a bit, should be really good in prices.
Who's the dutch dealer u know ?

greets

[Edited by dinges - 4/24/2003 8:49:26 PM]