Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

decat..... what risk of damage ??

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2003, 11:13 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy

(damage,det,lean runningetc)I REALLY want a decat for obvious reasons butREALLY don't want to risk damaging my motor ,(MY98,uk car, decat will be only mod,inc t'pipe)can a decat 'god'please give me an idea just how safe they really are(or will it just depend on the individual cars mechanical 'temprament').
(Edited to say, probably been done before but i couldn't find it)

[Edited by matty01 - 3/20/2003 11:15:39 PM]
Old 20 March 2003, 11:18 PM
MAFFA
Scooby Regular

Location: Down South to Ooop North to Back Down South again!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Not heard of anyone having any problems with just fitting a decat. You really only run into trouble when you start playing with boost/fueling etc... so it should be fine.

Enjoy what a flat 4 should sound like

MAFFA
Old 21 March 2003, 03:32 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

matty01, i have same car.
currenty running scoobysport back box and centre section - no problems as yet.
after mot in may i want to get the decat downpipe, and maybe up pipe, and maybe induction kit.
was wondering the same sort of things as you.
you read all this stuff about MAF, lambda, remapping etc etc and it gets you scared.
anyone else got further words of comfort? like matty01 these will be my only performance mods but i dont want to bust it cus i am a useless mechanic!
cheers
matt
Old 21 March 2003, 03:36 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can decat non-STi/P1 UK cars quite happily.

I am one of the doomsayers when it comes to STis/P1s.
Old 21 March 2003, 08:45 PM
silver:scooby
Scooby Regular

Matty i have a full magnex decat, i was like you took me a while to go for it, but all i can say is do it, it totaly changes the car.
As for the dangers if your car ant faulty before you put the decat on ie faulty maf sensor ect, then from what i have heard and what i have seen from my car there should be none my dawes afr and boost gauge are the same before and after fitting the d/p,
if any thing id say the the engine and gear box are less stressed as the power delivery is less violent,

hope this helps

[Edited by silver:scooby - 3/21/2003 8:56:24 PM]
Old 22 March 2003, 12:52 AM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks all...d/pipe here i come..
Old 22 March 2003, 12:55 AM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Hey matty,get it done then you can keep up with us on the runs mate
Old 22 March 2003, 05:04 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

John B: Is it OK to decat an STi if you remap it accordingly, or is this still a no-no? I presume it causes them to run lean?
Old 23 March 2003, 02:35 AM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Paul w ,
[reaves and mortimer] eeeeeewwwwww [/reaves and mortimer]
(Just 'cos you can't drive through a little puddle without ruining your MAF sensor )
Is yours a de-cat then Paul?
Old 23 March 2003, 08:01 AM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Decat DP,still got the centre cat to keep it legal,kevs got the full decat.
Old 26 March 2003, 11:52 PM
gatravis
Scooby Newbie

Matty,

I have had a TSL decat system (downpipe/mid section, group N backbox)on MY99 Green Impreza (You saw me several weeks/months back at the shell garages in Grimsby/A180 - more optimax sir?)

I have had it fitted almost 1year now with no problems - great sound! I had a boost gauge fitted prior to the decat, and noticed an increase in boost of almost 1psi (just over 14psi up to 15psi, before/after on the day it was fitted), so I guess the claim of increasing +20-25bhp by TSL may be reasonable.

In addition I fitted a remapped ECU (The ECUTEK 2.5 by John Banks mail order special), and have been running this for about 7-8 months now. Though this was nothing to do with fuelling worries or concerns with the decat exhaust, just a quest for improvement in general better response etc.... (another +30bhp)Now boost peaks at around 17.5-18psi dependent upon ambients etc......just need to get to that rolling road now to check things out....been saying I was going to get around to this for a while now!

Anyway mate, would have no worries in going for a decat if my experiences so far, and other coments seem to suggest this.

Enjoy...... Graham (TRAV)

Old 26 March 2003, 11:53 PM
gatravis
Scooby Newbie

Matty,

I have had a TSL decat system (downpipe/mid section, group N backbox)on MY99 Green Impreza (You saw me several weeks/months back at the shell garages in Grimsby/A180 - more optimax sir?)

I have had it fitted almost 1year now with no problems - great sound! I had a boost gauge fitted prior to the decat, and noticed an increase in boost of almost 1psi (just over 14psi up to 15psi, before/after on the day it was fitted), so I guess the claim of increasing +20-25bhp by TSL may be reasonable.

In addition I fitted a remapped ECU (The ECUTEK 2.5 by John Banks mail order special), and have been running this for about 7-8 months now. Though this was nothing to do with fuelling worries or concerns with the decat exhaust, just a quest for improvement in general better response etc.... (another +30bhp)Now boost peaks at around 17.5-18psi dependent upon ambients etc......just need to get to that rolling road now to check things out....been saying I was going to get around to this for a while now!

Anyway mate, would have no worries in going for a decat if my experiences so far, and other coments seem to suggest this.

Enjoy...... Graham (TRAV)

Old 29 March 2003, 04:51 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Gatravis, good to see you got logged on mate,i am now the proud owner of a d/pipe section and wil be getting the centre section in the near future,i'm very impressed allready though