Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

exhaust for scooby

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2003, 10:58 AM
mat88
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am considering an exhaust system for my imp turbo which is on a w plate, the old shape, last one and best one in my opinion. at the moment the car is totally standard but i would like to increase power without waqking the whole of the village up with the noise, a nice grunt would be nice but not a full orchestra. i have found out that it is possible to have a pipe from the first cat back and would release about 18hp, i have also been told that removing the front cat also would produce almost 40hp, the only issue i have with this is that i've been told i acn suck oil up from the sump! which i could do without, anyone had any experience with this? any help would be greatly appreciate.
also would a zaust work well with a good filter, itc is it? or is there potential of sucking wram air into the engine therefore lowering performance?
thanks for your help
mat
Old 18 March 2003, 11:28 AM
mat88
Scooby Newbie

has onone suffered from oil being pulled up from the sump onto senors illuminatuing the engine managemanet light by using a full exhaust system?
Old 18 March 2003, 11:54 AM
Wannabe
Scooby Regular

Hi mat
I have the full de-cat with a scooby sport back box and an induction kit, ive never heard about the whole oil sucking thing and ive not had any problems with mine. Yes it does sound fantastic with the full decat and the car is much faster and revs more freely higher up the rev range but it is very loud and will wake the village up but if you want what you want just do it.

I sometimes think about going back to the quiet thing when im coming home from work at 12.30 in the morning and you see the neighbours curtans twitching but when you have good thrash and you see everyones heads within a 500 metre radius turning to see the car it makes it all worth while.

Sy
Old 18 March 2003, 11:58 AM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Cool

Matt, I have a full de-cat on my 98MY UK. Never had any probs at all - it is noisy, so I'd suggest you try to get a listen to one if you're unsure about the LOUD factor !!

GOES WELL THOUGH

Mark
Old 18 March 2003, 01:30 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

Firstly you on a 4 door or a 5 door ?

Oil suck up ?

Plenty of exhaust options to choose from. I'm told that you can remove one of the two cats and still get the car through the MOT OK.

I have scoobysport decat centre section with a genuine Prodrive PPP backbox (not available to buy alone as a new item only as part of PPP - I got it 2nd hand). This gives the best of both worlds in my opinion. There is a noticable improvement in car performance, no idea BHP wise though as it's never been cjecked either before or after. The car has a nice burble at tick over, but a relatively quiet but deeper note sound when driven gentley, but in my opinion roars as much as the full Scoobysport when you open it up.

PLus it doesn't suffer from the usual booming noise inside the car that I've had with all other exhausts I've tried on my 98 Turbo 5 door.
Old 18 March 2003, 05:34 PM
Woz
Scooby Regular

scratch - what other zorst have you tried?
I really want louder, but not booming as I do lots of m'way cruising. sound like u have the set up I've been searching for.
also MY98
Old 18 March 2003, 06:14 PM
Scratch
Scooby Senior

I've tried :

Firstly my downpipe has remained standard throughout as I want to retain 1 cat in order to avoid having to exhaust swap at MOT time. I will only know if this has worked when it gets it's next MOT - so I am only going from advice of (many) others on the 1 cat principle.

1. Magnex BB : sounded great outside the car, lovely rich deep note, quite loud always, but unfortunately made more noise inside than out, and the worst was at 3000rpm which is 75mph on motorway.

2. H&S type Scoobysport BB : Best sounding of them all, but possibly also the loudest (I've tried - there are others that are much louder). But was quieter inside than the Magnex. I am told by Pete Croney (of Scoobysport) that the new Janspeed made BB is much quieter inside the car than previous versions but I have not tried it so cannot comment.

3. TSL BB - On my car, this was equally as loud as the SS (scoobysport) backbox, but was fractionally quieter inside, but as with all others above still boomed at 3000rpm.

4. SS Decat centre section + PPP backbox : this for me has provided the best solution. General noise is only marginally more than standard, no booming noise inside the car. Nice rich exhaust noise the exaggerates the boxer engine sound. Fantastically noisy outside on full chat.

That's it, that's all I have tried.

I also have to state that had I not dropped on a PPP backbox I would have probably looked for 2nd hand WRsport BB as this is similar construction. Alternatively I was very tempted to try the new version of the Scoobysport BB as Pete Croney offered a sale/return basis with a small cleaning fee if I returned it - he obviously has confidence in his product to offer this guarantee. I also have to add, that TSL would not offer this sale or return guarantee on their product.....

So these are the facts IMHO - you make your own choice from them.

(Edited for typos, and edited again for typos - must re-read before posting)

[Edited by Scratch - 3/18/2003 6:15:18 PM]

[Edited by Scratch - 3/18/2003 6:17:58 PM]
Old 18 March 2003, 06:39 PM
5 inch pipe
Scooby Regular

stay standard

these cars are ok like that
Old 18 March 2003, 06:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

they're even better non-standard

Dan

MY99 UK with ScoobySport C/Section and BackBox

"gotta lurve that noise!"
Old 18 March 2003, 07:07 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I think the power figures you are quoting are probably a little optimistic though; more like 25-30bhp for a full de-cat.

Most make a fair bit of noise, although I like my APS which sounds great, is much quieter than most (similar volume to prodrive) but still gives good power.

If you're worried about waking the neighbours, change all the exhaust but keep your original backbox. Will only give you perhaps 5bhp less than the full exhaust, and be fairly quiet too.
Old 19 March 2003, 02:24 AM
andyg3
Scooby Regular

I can probably guess that the guy from ascar in sheffield told you you could get 40 hp gain from a full de-cat...

Am i right or am i right?
Old 19 March 2003, 08:59 AM
mat88
Scooby Newbie

you are spot on the bloke at ascar told me that it would give upto 40hp, how do you know?????????????
Old 19 March 2003, 09:12 AM
Woz
Scooby Regular

good comparisons, cheers Scratch.
I almost went for the Magnex, now know why people keep
selling their so quickly...(search this forum)
Old 19 March 2003, 09:22 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Magnex is the best value IMO. As for noise, i haven't tried anything else, but the sound suits me just fine.
Old 19 March 2003, 09:24 AM
mat88
Scooby Newbie

is the 40 hp that they cliam to give with a full system i.e. replacement of 2 cats a little over the top then? or is that what i can expect whyen coupled with a qualitl air filter
Old 19 March 2003, 09:26 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bitt OTT IMO 20-25 is deffo more realistic.
Old 19 March 2003, 01:09 PM
mat88
Scooby Newbie

what hp increase could i expect from a peformance system from the first cat back, that is just taking out the second cat?
Old 19 March 2003, 08:58 PM
silver:scooby
Scooby Regular

I have a magnex full decat have no problems with build looks and the sound is loverly, a nice burble at idle not to loud when on the motorway/around town but when you floor the go pedal all hell breaks lose, i think the sound of the magnex is much better than all these jap ones as they are to raspy and tiny and you seem to lose the flat four note. but thats my 2p worth not every one is the same.

Cheers
Old 20 March 2003, 12:53 AM
Flat Faw
Scooby Regular

I have MY00 with std down pipe, magnex non resonated stainless centre and STI Prodrive back box. Sound is sublime, deep burble, but certainly not intrusive and have definitely got power/torque gains through the mid range. Loud straight through exhausts are not an option for me, so is best compromise between power gains and neighbour offending noise. Have std 802 ECU thoough, so am expecting next upgrade of 801 or tek 1 to sort out hesitation problems.
Old 20 March 2003, 06:00 PM
terzo42
Scooby Regular

magnex dp +cc and the quiet h+s scoobysport = no drone nice burble but loud when you press the noisey bit ,loads of smiles
Old 20 March 2003, 06:09 PM
peccy
Scooby Regular

if ya dont want LOUD, dont get blitz

i gained 32bhp from standard with a full decat - TSL group A downpipe / Blitz Nur Spec R