Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

STI7 and Ecutek?

Search this Thread

Old 21 February 2003, 05:37 PM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone had the ecutek remap done on their sti7 with standard or mildly modified exhaust.I am thinking of having mine done and was wondering what sort of on the road benifits and effects on fuel economy I would see.
Thanks.
Steve.
Old 21 February 2003, 05:40 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shouldn't see any effect on fuel economy in cruise conditions with a remap since this is controlled closed loop. If you thrash it and it runs more power you will generally use more fuel. Performance gains vary depending on what other things you have done to the car. All of them need a fuel pump, and also you really want an exhaust system too. Knocklink and boost gauge are also a very good idea.
Old 21 February 2003, 05:53 PM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

Thanks John,I have a prodrive bb and am going to take out the centre cat.Is a remap worthwhile with just these mods?I Would like to have seen a noticable on road improvement in performance.
Steve
Old 21 February 2003, 05:54 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

yes but how about a "sports" catted downpipe if you need a cat?
Old 21 February 2003, 06:03 PM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

Would a sports cat give a big benifit over the standard downpipe
to justify the extra cost.Also I was going to keep the standard dp
on to keep a slim chance of hanging on to my warrenty.
Old 21 February 2003, 06:12 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Warranty is void if you do anything other than PPP.
Old 21 February 2003, 06:19 PM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

I know what your saying John,but do you think would see the benifits I want with standard dp(PPP performance) or is a sports cat a must.
Steve
Old 21 February 2003, 06:33 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

You can still do it, not sure the power you would get as not done one with std downpipe.
Old 21 February 2003, 06:36 PM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice John.
Old 21 February 2003, 06:53 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

By all accounts, the main performace gain and improved throttle response seems to come from either ditching the OE Cat/DP with a Decat DP or one with a Sports Cat (Miltek/PPP/PE). But, if you do this then either a restrictor change or better, a remap should also be done as otherwise you are likely to have a Boost spiking problem.

Like John said, theortically, say goodbye to your warranty on any of these options other than the PPP, unless you have an EU sourced car and then it's not so black and white....

Matt
Old 21 February 2003, 08:30 PM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

Cheers matt.Has anyone had a remap on their sti7?
Old 21 February 2003, 09:53 PM
Simon Lines
Scooby Regular

ummm, why don't you go for a PPP? Is it an EU or Gray car, you mention the W word so I assume it's UK.

You may be interested to know that our DP not only passes an MOT in 3 years / 60k but also gives less back pressure than a straight pipe...

Cheers

Simon

[Edited by Simon Lines - 2/21/2003 10:08:55 PM]
Old 21 February 2003, 10:18 PM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

Yes Simon,it is a uk car.I am also considering the PPP.The main drawback with PPP is its price and me justifying it to the missus.
Steve.
Old 21 February 2003, 10:21 PM
Simon Lines
Scooby Regular

fair enough, but I had a conversation with David (Power @ PE / EcuTec)about it and I think if you try and price it up you'll find it's achualy good value! plus you keep the "W"

Cheers

Simon
Old 21 February 2003, 10:31 PM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your input Simon I'll let the missus read your posts and hopefully she will be conviced
Old 21 February 2003, 10:46 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Simon Lines 'our down pipe has less back pressure than a straight pipe'.If you are talking about the OEM down pipe I can assure you it is far less efficient than any open mouth after market job.If you are talking about some Prodrive job I'd still challenge you to prove it gives less back pressure than a 'straight pipe'.Not that I'm even sure what you mean by a straight pipe.Do you mean open mouth,twin dump, catless etc etc.
Steve,I c'ant advice you re;warranty but I can tell you that the Ecutek has worked great on my STi7(Jap).I'm up to about 340 BHP.Car flies and is really flexible.Its a proper remap rather than a crude boost clamp like the PPP for 2k.
Old 21 February 2003, 10:50 PM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

Deep,what exhaust do you have?
Old 21 February 2003, 10:56 PM
Simon Lines
Scooby Regular

my my mr ds, do i spy some issues....

"our" dp is the one with the cat in that we supply on the STi PPP (02MY and 03MY)

"straight pipe" is just that, a straight pipe off the turbo with splitter and seperate waste gate pipe

a boost clamp? I don't think you know much about the latest PPP old chap

prove it? I don't think so, do you? even though you seem to be implying i'm a liar...

Cheers for now

Simon

btw - it would be great to meet a few more of you, put names to faces etc. met matt at the last PE rolling road day. When is the next outing? Maybe mr ds would like to be taken out in our 03MY
Old 22 February 2003, 01:04 AM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

simon, can you please supply evidence to back up your claims re the exhaust back presure? I would ask the same of any other suplier making such claims.

The previous poster was refering to the STi7 PPP, Which did use a boost clamp. That is still being sold on STi7 PPP's isnt it?
Old 22 February 2003, 02:00 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Question

Steve,
PPP is really the only way to go, O/K £2K, but Keeps warranty, will add £1K resale value to car, so really only costing £1K IMHO

Say a Miltek Xhorts and remap ECU and Pump still going to be around £1.5K and NO warrantee, is a £500 saving worth it. Probably lose soon resale value, mined you would out perform PPP
IMHO

DP,
Does the gray STi7 suffer from the won't do it on a "Rolling road syndrome" or is it just a STi7UKPPP triat? For some unknown reason STi8PPP doesn't have it either

Tony
Old 22 February 2003, 02:18 AM
Simon Lines
Scooby Regular

Sure John

Come visit us at Warwick, i'd be happy to demo to you

Simon
Old 22 February 2003, 08:37 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

btw - it would be great to meet a few more of you, put names to faces etc. met matt at the last PE rolling road day. When is the next outing? Maybe mr ds would like to be taken out in our 03MY
Where are you based Simon? Perhaps "Matt" would like to be taken out in your 03 too....

Seriously, Steve, if your warranty is important to you then I would go with the PPP. There are potentially more gains to be had from a custom EcuTek remap because the map can be as aggressive as you want it to be, but for the cost of an exhaust plus the remap, (say £900 exhaust, £700 remap = £1600) you are in PPP cost anyway. Your warranty may be worth nothing to you, but then again, it may be worth several thousand if your engine goes pop!

To answer the question, yes several people have had a custom remap on their 7's (as you can see from Deep's reply) including JDM (like Deep) and several UK cars. They have all been very pleased with the results.

There is also rumour that the EcuTek based PPP *will* be available for the 7 once the piggyback kits have run out (though it *is* only a rumour) so if you bide your time, you may get one of those.

Matt
Old 22 February 2003, 08:45 AM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replys everyone,Simon put me down for a spin in your 03 as well.
Steve.
Old 22 February 2003, 10:20 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Tony I think a lot of cars suffer from the won't do it on the rollers phenomenon. That is a fault of rollers not the car. Just shows the rollers are unrealistic.

[Edited by john banks - 2/22/2003 10:24:49 AM]
Old 22 February 2003, 02:39 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

Having both a PPP STi MY02 and a bog standard STi MY02 in the family, and *ahem* played around with a few exhaust combinations briefly on the non PPP car (strictly in the interests of research ) before putting it back to standard, I would say the sports cat downpipe with the PPP appears to work very well.

As always, I can't recommend the PPP highly enough.

As for cost, add up an EcuTec remap plus full decat exhaust, which removes your warranty, against the cost of the PPP and value of the warranty in the PPP, and there's nothing in it.

However, the PPP *does* give you peace of mind
Old 22 February 2003, 02:41 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Wink

simon 'my my mr ds do we have issues'.Actually its Dr.ds(LOL)
No issues my friend but if you make claims as you did about 'your' dp I think its fair to be asked to prove it.I would ask/question any manafacturer who did the same.As intelligent consumers I presume you would expect no less.
As for the boost clamp issue Steve was talking about the STi7 not STi8 and as far as I know all STi7s to date have this as their PPP.Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong,I d'ont mind.
As for the offer of a spin in the MY03 PPP STi thats very kind of you.I d'ont think it will be the revelation to me that you might believe.Mines already producing 340 BHP safely at less boost than the STi7 PPP.Its also already got an up rated fuel pump so it w'ont go bang like so many PPP cars.I'm sure its a great car though.
Cheers,Deep.
Old 22 February 2003, 05:48 PM
stevejohnson511
Scooby Regular

It does seem as PPP vs Ecutek with sports or decat downpipe and new bb, makes the PPP good value,so I think the best options are PPP or remap on a standard-ish exhaust,but no one seems able to say how these two options compare on the road,certainly you would want similar power to the PPP,from the Ecutek to make the savings worth risking your warrenty? Thanks again for your commments.
Steve.
Old 22 February 2003, 05:57 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Deep Singh

To clarify Simon's comments about our downpipe, in the course of our extensive testing we found that the production spec of downpipe as fitted to 02 & 03MYSTi PPP gives less backpressure than the same basic design but with a straight pipe. And before you ask, NO we aren't about to quantify the difference or explain it!!!

If I remember correctly your car was done at PE. If so, ask them what they think of the Performance Package as you obviously trust them implicitly but don't trust anyone else.

Regards

Mike
Old 22 February 2003, 06:41 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Mike,is it Simons day off?
A little confused I am.Simon defined the 'straight pipe' as 'straight of the turbo with splitter and seperate waste gate pipe' .So thats not a Scoobsport/HKS/Magnex or any of the major aftermarket dps I know of.Not sure what he is comparing to.
Both Simon and you seem to have been very offended by the fact that I've questioned something you have stated.Simon accused me of calling him 'a liar' and you imply I have problems trusting people.Neither is true.If you guys just want to make statements and not discuss('are we prepared to quantify or explain,NO') then why post? Just get a banner.
Though my car did go on the rollers at PE to sort out some gremlins it is mapped by Pat(based from Scoobysport.) I really have no need to contact David Power to ask him what he thinks of the new PPP.If its using Ecutek software now(rather than your rather crude boost clamp previously) I would expect it to be good.I had actually already said this in my previous post.('I'm sure its a great car though').Also now that you've decided to uprate the fuel pump hopefully your customers won't have their cars off the road for 6 weeks having the engine rebuilt.
I have no issue with you or Simon(or Prodrive) but you seem to DEMAND trust from people you d'ont know.I feel this is a little naive.Good luck with your future projects.
Deep.

Deep.
Old 22 February 2003, 10:39 PM
MikeWood
Scooby Regular

Deep

Today is supposed to be a day off for both of us but as we are both enthusiasts as well as being employed in the business we like to be involved even on our days off (hope the wife doesn't want to use the phone now or I'm in trouble!!)

What we have both stated is that our design of downpipe produces better results with our cat fitted than without, I can't comment about any other design other than to say that there would be no performance improvement with ANY decat downpipe that we have tested.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood about who had mapped your car, I thought PE had done it as you had quoted power figures measured there. I'll have to ask Merv how lean it must have been to get 340bhp

FYI although our initial solution for remapping the ECU for our performance packages appears to be very simple, the way the boost is mapped and the car is subsequently tested and logged is not the work of two minutes. The ECU still sets it's own ignition timing and the fuel is on the rich side of safe. Undoubtably more power could have been achieved if we had leaned the fuel off but this ultimately would be at the risk of engine durabilty issues. Whilst EcuTek software is very very clever, it is only as good as the person doing the calibration.

On a similar tack, we actually decided to change fuel pumps a long time ago, in fact prior to you asking the bbs if an EcuTek remap was the way to go!

Regards

Mike

Quick Reply: STI7 and Ecutek?