Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Is this possible.....?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2003, 08:35 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have recently changed my MAF sensor to MY93 WRX for the third time and this time removed the piperx induction (it was on its last legs I think) and fitted oem airbox with an ITG panel. As soon as I fitted it the car felt great - no hesitation etc etc. However literally the next day I started to get some hesitation and gradually the car has gone back to running like a bag of ****e. Now at the time of fitting the replacement maf I didnt reset the ECU. I have however since reset it but to no effect. Now I'm not getting any ecu fault codes etc but there deffo feels like the car is poorly. Having disected my old MAF (fancied having a look inside) I noticed that the copper contacts inside the square module on top of the maf looked burnt. There are 5 contacts inside the module - these being the connectors between the maf and the plug from the car. However 3 of the copper contacts looked like they'd cooked (the copper had bubbled at the point of the connector)!! Could this possibly mean that I have a faulty connector from the car ?? I mean if I were to have a fault on the MAF wiring (coming from the car) could this possibly fudge my MAF when connected ?? If this is possible then is there any easy way of checking this ? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I want to be sure that this is a feasible problem before taking the scoob into an auto electrician.

cheers in advance
Old 12 February 2003, 11:35 PM
Danny Boy
Scooby Regular

Location: All over the place, trying to stop putting the miles on!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you had a break in the cable insulation feeding the maf causing a short this could possibly cause over heating through increased current. Would have thought that it would have taken out a fuse somewhere though. Can't hurt to check the cables though. You would need a multimeter to check each core for continuity and any short between adjacent cores. The fun bit will be finding the other end of the cable! Don't know where that goes, poss direct to the ECU.

Danny Boy
Old 12 February 2003, 11:43 PM
NelsonUK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Danny Boy appreciate your assistance mate

O.k guys next question therefore is does anyone know whether the MAF is connected directly from the ECU ?? MY93 WRX

cheers