Sponsored by:

Tailgating

Search this Thread

Old 20 April 2006, 10:18 PM
spursfc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tailgating

Right been a scooby driver for two weeks now and found out that a lot of fellow drivers are mysteriously driven to get as as close to my rear bumper as is humanly possible..... Those 6 letters on the back must have hypnotic powers!

So what's the answer for this? I've tried the old brake slamming trick but that just winds them up even more!

A funny idea which someone posted on here before, was to activate your squirties constantly and watching them have to hit the wipers!

If you're on a busy single carraigeway and there's no oppurtinty to pull over what do you do?

Your thoughts/tips to get them to back the f off?
Old 20 April 2006, 10:22 PM
Scooby-kid
Scooby Regular

step on the loud pedal

Scotty.
Old 20 April 2006, 10:29 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sensible option is too ignore them if they go into the back of you its their fault and the insurance company will take a dim view cos lets face it if someone hits you from behind its always going to be seen as their fault.
my fav is to slow down without touching the brakes and see how close they want to get before they realise whats going on and do a speed that is significantly less than they want.
Old 20 April 2006, 10:31 PM
jonesting
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
sensible option is too ignore them if they go into the back of you its their fault and the insurance company will take a dim view cos lets face it if someone hits you from behind its always going to be seen as their fault.
my fav is to slow down without touching the brakes and see how close they want to get before they realise whats going on and do a speed that is significantly less than they want.
agreed on that one
Old 20 April 2006, 10:37 PM
WRX300MAN
Scooby Regular

Smile

When possible, slow down (without stopping), briefly indicate to the nearside and let them pass . . . . . Best thing for it imho!
bob r
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
not a good idea at all i have first hand experience of this and its not funny when the car behind is.....
1. stolen, smashes into the rear of you and drives off at high speed
2. owned by local gangster and laughs when you mention insurance
3. no insurance and legs it leaving you with some nasty injuries

ignore the nobber behind its not worth it.
MaDaSS
Scooby Regular

Ignore them. And besides, with Scooby spoilers the way there are, half the time i reckon although close they aint as close as we think they are.
But anyway, you continue to drive normally and ignore it i think.
My feeling is firstly, anyone that really does get close to me and stay there may be police, so i will not rise to any bait and try to race off.
Secondly, jamming your brakes on does nothing. They may hit you, either car to car, or just follow you and try to do it physically. In either scenario, what have you gained?
Lets say you braked hard and he **** ended you. Do you really think you will get out of your car and think, "well that showed that ****!"
LOL, yeah right, i am sure you will.
So, when all is said and done, dont rise to the bait.

Trending Topics

Old 20 April 2006, 10:49 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by spursfc
Right been a scooby driver for two weeks now and found out that a lot of fellow drivers are mysteriously driven to get as as close to my rear bumper as is humanly possible..... Those 6 letters on the back must have hypnotic powers!

So what's the answer for this? I've tried the old brake slamming trick but that just winds them up even more!

A funny idea which someone posted on here before, was to activate your squirties constantly and watching them have to hit the wipers!

If you're on a busy single carraigeway and there's no oppurtinty to pull over what do you do?

Tell me about it
It bugs the life out of me, especially when I've got the kids in the car.
I get the kids to look out of the back window, usually shames the nitwit into backing off a bit
Old 20 April 2006, 10:57 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Bumper sticker "If you want to get any further up my ar$e I need to know your first name."

Mark
Old 20 April 2006, 11:09 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

In my experience which includes the "daily drive right up behind you and see if you bite" people its better just to ignore them. They see the subaru and for some reason think lets race! White van men / women are the worst.

I've had a few occasions when I've had enough and got out to have a word which is equally stupid and I'm not a big person by any account, I've just got a big mouth and a good sense of right and wrong. I do not advise this either. As said better to ignore them and see it as flatery and carry on on your way.

Esh
Old 20 April 2006, 11:24 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Sure you aren't being paranoid?

It happens to any car, sit on the M1 at 90 and within 60 seconds you'll get some **** in a white van or gutless Fiesta sitting on your bumper.
Old 20 April 2006, 11:34 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
Sure you aren't being paranoid?

It happens to any car, sit on the M1 at 90 and within 60 seconds you'll get some **** in a white van or gutless Fiesta sitting on your bumper.

Sorry, but i have to agree with the origional post, im not paranoid, but this is my second impreza and both cars when im driving i have found this.

Every man and his F'in dog wants to race you or at very least, just be in front for some strange reason.

But, if its a solution your looking for, i wouldnt bother mate, your not going to single handedly change the attitude and driving style of all the to$$ers on the road. As for stamping on the brakes, its a strange one this, because when i get someone doing it to me, its always seems to be when there is nothing to close to the tailgaTER, and the most wierd thing of all, theres always a DOG runs out in front of me causing me to brake extremely harshly.

Just remember, its always a dog or a child that runs out in front of you.

Failing that, ignor it
Old 20 April 2006, 11:48 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Dont want to sound boring but have to agree with most, ignore it, I get it all the time mostly (I would guess) from people that dont even know what they are behind, they see the spoiler and think "****" they have a spoiler and think they are fast, but the look on their face when you hit 4k revs and they slowly dissapear behind you tells you that they are going to google and realise how how mistaken they really were.

You never get an EVO, GT4 or anything in the same league doing it, ignore their ignorance aint worth your licence.
Old 20 April 2006, 11:50 PM
v5 man
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont care how CHAV it is but I have a flamer kit to use in exactly these situations, they soon back off once the flames are launched
Old 20 April 2006, 11:50 PM
Scooby.Newbie
Scooby Regular

Or

Maybe its cos you are a spurs supporter, up the gooners
Old 20 April 2006, 11:57 PM
ZYRUSS
Scooby Regular

buy yourself a telescopic wheel brace, then invite him for a dace on the hard shoulder, club him repeatedly with it lol

or, ignor it
Old 20 April 2006, 11:59 PM
nufc1892
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v5 man
I dont care how CHAV it is but I have a flamer kit to use in exactly these situations, they soon back off once the flames are launched
box of matches more like it
Old 21 April 2006, 12:14 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds a good idea
Old 21 April 2006, 09:53 AM
BlueSimon
Scooby Regular

Ive a simple, but seems effective way of dealling with them, i just speed up by about 5mph then as they start to speed up and catch you, come back to the speed you were doing, repeat and rince,no burning off or brake slamming needed - works every time as they get so pissed off they stay well behind

Simon
Old 21 April 2006, 10:09 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

It hardly ever happens to me.
Old 21 April 2006, 10:16 AM
NPeckt
Scooby Regular

Obviously on the private roads you drive on!

I had a Daewoo Lanos following me that was all grafix and spoilered up wanting to have a go, so I slowed down and let him overtake me - threw him completely
Old 21 April 2006, 10:17 AM
cuttsysti
Scooby Regular

I know this sort of thing isn't really very clever, but what an outstanding solution!!!
Old 21 April 2006, 10:32 AM
Jamesemt
Scooby Regular

Location: Ibiza TDI - Causing a smokescreen on a back road near you

I once saw a chaved up Corsa with a rear wash wipe jet fixed the wrong way - so it looked like it was pi55ing on the car behind

Sorry, I know I've mentioned this before, but its sheer class
Old 21 April 2006, 12:17 PM
Woodcote
Scooby Regular

genarally driving at the speed limit p's everyone off ... let their blood pressure go up not yours
dont provoke them, ignore em and let them pass
be confident if you wanted to you could out accelerate, out handle and generally leave them ... but why bother
Old 21 April 2006, 12:26 PM
bluto22b
Scooby Regular

This is also one of my pet hates. I usually touch the brake pedal gently with my left foot so as to activate the brake lights. It sometimes does the trick with dopey young birds who drive their car like they are pushing a shopping trolley around Tesco's and believe the stopping distances are the same
I also slow down to a crawl of 15-20mph which really winds them up as they are usually clearly in a hurry (which I am not, I have all the time in the world being retired ).
Old 21 April 2006, 12:49 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

Slow down to crawling pace and when they try and overtake floor it. Repeat several times till they get the message.
Old 21 April 2006, 12:56 PM
seanks
Scooby Regular

I find that switching the lights on, fog lights are best, gives them enough of a fright and usually does the trick.
Mind you I drive a wagon so probably does not attract quite as much attention as the high spoilered 2 and 4 doors?
Old 21 April 2006, 12:57 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bluto22b
This is also one of my pet hates. I usually touch the brake pedal gently with my left foot so as to activate the brake lights. It sometimes does the trick with dopey young birds who drive their car like they are pushing a shopping trolley around Tesco's and believe the stopping distances are the same
I tend to also use this tactic - the intention is to only illuminate the brake lights, not to necessarily slow down. However, most of the time it doesn't work (I guess the driver behind probably doesn't even notice the brake lights flashing on and off).

The only alternative is to slow down / pull over (not practical if overtaking on a busy motorway), or to increase the gap to the car in front, so that any braking is slow and progressive enough for the car behind to react.

Don't flatter yourself to think this is a Subaru problem though - I would guess at least 1 in 5 drivers drive too close....in fact, maybe only 1 in 5 drivers actually drive with a sensible gap?
Old 21 April 2006, 03:02 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

My uncle says to me whenever he has someone tailgaiting him he slows down for every junction he comes to & lets out loads of cars.
He says it winds the hell out of most people.

R.
Old 21 April 2006, 03:04 PM
Deano1983
Scooby Regular

Thats a good one, I know as it annoys the hell out of me, especially when in a rush

Quick Reply: Tailgating