Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

PSI 3A SECS 1003 monitors

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2003, 03:59 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Been looking at these, fit directly on to dash where envelope storage is, according to their site they read about everything you can have go wrong with your scooby, neat and around 300 notes, any one got any experience of em and if so can you share it ??
paul, site below

http://www.psi3.co.uk/

Old 02 February 2003, 06:33 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

No experience of one yet (although a mate has a S.E.C.S in his cossie!) but soon will have I will let you know when it's fitted.
Old 02 February 2003, 07:15 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

Wink

yes cos they look pretty good, so do they do everything that all the other individual devices do? how much are you getting charged to fit ??
Old 02 February 2003, 07:23 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

Haven't actually got the unit yet, but yeah they do display virtually all the info the average driver will ever need to know! Admitally it's not as good as a set of gauges for the visual info whilst driving but much, much neater and without the hassle of finding places to put all the gauges, and keeping a 'stock' look to the interior The hardest part to the installation is the dashtop 'box' needs to be cut down for the pod! AFAIK the lead is a simple plug'n'play into the diagnostic port
Old 02 February 2003, 07:34 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

Wink

So he says feeling like hes labouring the point lol, when people talk about detting, knocking, rich lean blah blah blah,to much boost etc, end result...blow up your engine, get piston slap, and so forth, this device will let me make sure that those things arnt happening will it ????
cutting the dash ??? getting scary !!!
anyway sorry to keep yarping on, like you say you dont have it yet, spose ill watch your comment closely and your critique will mean for me to buy or not to buy
paul
Old 02 February 2003, 07:47 PM
PICKLE
Scooby Regular

I suppose it depends on how clued up each person is with whats going on under the bonnet! It only displays what the ECU is reading so if there is a problem that the ECU detects then the unit will display this,instead of just the Check Engine light coming on. The 'gadget' factor will probably be the real reason I buy one tho
Old 02 February 2003, 11:01 PM
Fizz
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't agree.. I find it easier than guages as you can have four things to look at at once... I have found it very good especially to let me know when fully warmed up.. don't believe your temperature gauge guys... it hits temperature but is still 10 degrees short of normal running temperature.. anyhow... better than gauges as it is cheaper, easier to install and does not take up a load of room.
Old 03 February 2003, 12:24 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

These do looks the dogs bollocks. Just wanna know what sort of money people are paying for full installation on an MY00. Guess my local Car Audio installer would be able to do it. Just gotta save the money now

Simon.
Old 03 February 2003, 04:42 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

So basically it misses (my99) on the three most important readings, its those that i want it for to check for richness and lean fueling !!!
damn
paul
Old 03 February 2003, 05:44 PM
za-sti
Scooby Regular

saw one of these at the weekend and ordered one.

Davie Reid, www.drmotorsport.co.uk can supply these. Give him a call.
Old 03 February 2003, 07:12 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Cool

Our products are a gateway to viewing the data output by the ECU, and will accurately display this information in a compact and cost effective package, this is not only engine information such as boost pressure, engine speed etc.. but also full fault code monitoring, warning and diagnosis.

Very shortly our monitors will be able to accept the following external sensor inputs: - Exhaust Gas Temperature, Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature. ( This is a software modification only, allowing exhisting units to be upgraded. )

We also intend to include other features in the near future including lambda and knock as mentioned above .

As detailed on our website not all features are available on all vehicles (the same as other common diagnostic software).

These products are a development of our popular and proven monitors used by the Ford/Cosworth community for several years.

If you have any queries please feel free to contact us by e-mail or phone anytime. Full information on all of our products can also be found on our website PSI3

Phone 07796 992992/07974 030591
E-mail enquiries@psi3.co.uk
Website PSI3

Simon, Simon and Simon
Old 03 February 2003, 07:59 PM
NICEBLOKE35
Scooby Regular

Wink

hey simon simon and the other one yhm
Old 03 February 2003, 08:26 PM
PSI3
Scooby Regular

Wink

LOL so do you Paul.

simon
Old 03 February 2003, 08:30 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

Wink

"Simon simon and simon" - sounds like a law firm
Old 02 March 2003, 10:03 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The fitting is a bit of a pain for the S1003.

The MY99 version also misses out on three different output parameters. But I can't remember which ones off the top of my head.

Air/Fuel ratio, Inlet Temperature, and one other...

Otherwise - It's a must have

[Edited by Squizz - 2/3/2003 10:14:17 AM]
Old 02 March 2003, 06:11 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They look great, but they are not a reliable method of knowing fuelling and knock since the ECU is not a reliable detector of such things, much as I hate to say it, treat the ECU as a dumb lying ba$tard and you are about right some of the time.

Along with a wideband lambda and a knocklink they would be superb. Better still if they could display these, I think they were working on it.

They will give you a mine of useful information though, but you can't always trust the signficance of the data.

For example no knock correction does not mean that there is no knock, especially at high RPM or if you have an exhaust manifold fitted. Lambda voltages from the factory narrowband are not accurate in determining AFRs and can be grossly misleading even bearing in mind the known caveats with narrowband lambda sensors. Lambda values from the "wider band" in the late WRXs are useful but now richer than the low 11s where most standard and a lot of modified cars run since the sensor doesn't go richer than this.

[Edited by john banks - 2/3/2003 6:17:28 PM]