Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

How delicate are valve stems?

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2003, 05:50 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wedged the camshaft sprockets against eachother while taking the timing belt off. However the wedge shot out and the sprockets rotated in the direction that the workshop manual tells you not too!

Have I bent/knackered my vales? Do I need to replace them?

Andy
Old 25 January 2003, 06:06 PM
PhatBob
Scooby Newbie

You'll probably be okay - best indication is to put everything back together, time the cams in. Then run a compression check - if the stems are damaged you'll not get a proper seal.
Old 25 January 2003, 06:08 PM
PhatBob
Scooby Newbie

You'll probably be okay - best indication is to put everything back together, time the cams in. Then run a compression check - if the stems are damaged you'll not get a proper seal.
Old 26 January 2003, 01:19 PM
bandyandstrange
Scooby Regular

you should be ok first time i did one the whole lot span round about 4 or 5 times untill got it right no probs at all
Old 26 January 2003, 04:39 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

scrappy, although it is reccommended you keep the cam sprocket in place when changing the belt it does not matter if they turn (flip closed) as long as they are not turned through a full cycle simulaneously. spin the cam sprockets in turn (in the direction said in the manual) and you will feel if the valves are damaged.

i did mine yesterday as well and though exactly the same. turn the crank shaft through a full cycle with a wrench with the spark plugs out before you start if your not sure of it.
Old 26 January 2003, 08:50 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

Kipax,

how "free" do the sprockets rotate? Should I feel any resistance when turning?

I'm guessing if it's difficult to turn then I've got a problem with bent valves? If so what can be done?

Cheers,

Andy
Old 26 January 2003, 11:54 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

andy,

the cam sprockets should turn very freely for about 2/3 of the way round and then stiffen up considerably as the cam starts pushing the valve open. keep turning through fully open and then it should flip round (down the other side of the cam) and back to the free position where it will rotate freely again.

get all the cam sprockets in the free rotation part of the cycle and you know all the valves are closed. providing you only turn one cam sprocket at a time you are in no danger of bending valve stems what so ever. check each one in turn. if the stems are bent and stuck open you'll be able to tell but i very much doubt they will be.

the only time you need to consider the direction you are rotating is when you are setting the alignment notches on the right hand sprockets just prior to putting the belt on.

if you need to talk on the fone to sort it, email me an i'll send you my number.

good luck.

stu.
Old 27 January 2003, 05:36 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

Kip[ax/Stu,

thanks for advice and re-assurance - most welcome!
Wasn't intending to change cam belt, but one thing led to another and I'm there now Originally started by investigating what I thought was a power steering noise, which turned out to be wobbly crank pulley, which turned out to be loose crank pulley and knackered woodruf key, which requires me to take off the crank sprocket because key is broken.... and now I can't get the bloody crank sprocket off!

Anyway, thanks for the info and once I've got the crank sprocket off I'll finish off the timing belt change.

Cheers again m8,

Andy
Old 27 January 2003, 05:45 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

no worries