Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Yet another exhuast question

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2002, 10:30 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Location: Faster than a quickshift.... get yourself a bionic arm ;)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Yes i know it has all been said before,but could you bear with me as i am new to scoobys.
I intend on changing my exhaust in the new year. I have a bog standard MY98 turbo wagon. I have read that the exhaust can sound louder inside the wagon than the saloon. I dont want to be deafened at low revs ! From what little i have seen and read, i have narrowed it down to two exhausts - the magnex and scoobysport.
At the moment my car is still under warranty. As far as each system is concerned, would i gain much from fitting just the back box or the mid section as well?
Can the exhausts just be bolted on or is their anything else required? And finally, do you reckon its worth checking out the motorsport show at the NEC in jan for special deals?
Thanks for your help.
Greg.
Old 30 December 2002, 01:05 PM
scoobyslut
Scooby Regular

would be careful "as you say", the wagons tend to be a bit more noiser inside and you may find that by fitting a centre section as well as a back box, you will have to keep opening a window to cut down the resonance. Might be worth simply fitting a rear box first, then, if you want to, try a centre section. NEC show may well be worth a view first,as all available systems will be there to look at first, rather than buy and regret.
Old 30 December 2002, 04:41 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Talking

Thanks for your advice scoobyslut.

ANY MORE VIEWS ?

Greg.
Old 30 December 2002, 05:09 PM
T558
Scooby Regular

Smile

Its worth looking at the After Burner Stealth on ScoobyWorld.co.uk as it is only slightly louder than the standard one.
That way you can free up power without making your ears bleed!
Another idea is to get some of that sound proofing stuff, might quiteten things down a bit.
Old 30 December 2002, 05:11 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Hi Greg

Can't comment on the difference between saloons and wagons as I've only ever had saloons. However, in my old MY00 you could hear the exhaust note much more in the car because it has much less soundproofing than the new car.

Just adding a new backbox and/or a centre will give some improvement, but you really need to consider doing the downpipe for really noticable gains in power - typically upto 30 bhp for a full decat - although it varies.

The best advice is to go along to a local meet - look in the various regional forums. Go and try a few - you'll always find people willing to offer advice and take you out for a run.

Cheers
Chris
Old 30 December 2002, 08:07 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks Chris for the advice. I went on the hereford/worcester meet on sunday. Had a great time and checked out the magnex and scoobysport. Liked both but the magnex might invalidate my warranty. Some great sounding exhuasts!
The more I can find out before taking the plunge the better.

Any more ?

Greg.
Old 30 December 2002, 10:12 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Umm, my experience of the 'Afterburner' is that it's not exactly quiet; that's not the stealth version, but I did have H&S fit a bubble chamber (I think that's what it's called!) in the mid section (reduces noise level but not flow), and it is a 3"... really quite noisy! Phenomenal flow, though - very lean almost across the entire map (a good sign, as long as you can map for it ).
Very nicely made too.
Main thing to watch out for isn't noise at low rpm - it's motorway drone. The scoob standard manifold seems to be tuned perfectly to make the most noise at cruise... and that can really drone in the cabin!
If you keep the catted DP, though, most won't be that noisy (well, once acclimatised to the scoob noise level ). I found - in a saloon, mind you - that the old scoobysport (now Hayward & Scott 'standard' pipe) sounded just right. Remove the cat from the downpipe & I found it far too loud - 20 minutes on the motorway & I had a migrain!
So - as already said - go to a meet & have a listen. Failing that, once you've got a backbox, it's pretty easy to swap around with other people's (possibly a little cash flowing one way or the other) - we're all playing the same game!
Old 30 December 2002, 10:52 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Smile

Greg, I currently own a MY00 Wagon, and have been running it with a full Scoobysport exhaust until recently. The reason for the change is because I've fitted a HKS Hiper for power reasons. (Still got the Scoobysport (Hayward and Scott) backbox if you want to buy it )

However, the exhaust note I found was fine inside the car, and to be honest, you actually get used to it and forget it's there after a short while. The motorway journeys at 70/80 mph are also fine, and the note doesn't drone in the same way the HKS does.

I ran the backbox on it's own for a little while before the full decat system went on, and the sound inside the car is not much more than the std system, but outside the car it sounds a lot nicer.

If you have any questions then please feel free to email me as per my profile, as I'll be more than happy to help.

Scott
Old 31 December 2002, 06:41 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Scott
YHM
Old 01 January 2003, 05:28 PM
Scott W
Scooby Regular

Smile

Greg YHM back
Old 01 January 2003, 05:48 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Greg - nice to meet you at the weekend! I had the MY99 DBM 4dr with the wife & child!!

I had a MY95 5dr before, and I have to say, the 4dr is MUCH louder inside than the 5dr!!!

Mine now has a really nice burble (STi backbox & Scoobysport centre section transferred from my old car )
never had this sound in my 5dr....

The Magnex & Scoobysport are good, but I'd also check out the Prodrive stuff (see Pete @ Listers 0 he might be able to help you) and also the Mongoose stuff......

Otherwise, check out the Blitz Nur Spec...... depends if you want field mice and other small mammals burrowing in your backbox!!

See you soon

Dan
Old 01 January 2003, 09:49 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Talking

Scott. YHM again !
Old 01 January 2003, 10:07 PM
greg.g
Scooby Regular

Smile

It was nice to meet up with you for the day. Had a great time.
As far as the exhaust is concerned, i just want a little extra
vrrrmm without it being overpowering.
If my exhaust was as big as some i have seen on the net, i would
probably end up with a family of asylum seekers taking up residence
rather than field mice in brum!
We will look forward to the next meet.

Greg.