Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Mucho Questionies

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2002, 10:36 PM
RA Jaay
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok here goes:

Im gonna get a Downpipe, because theres no Cat and I presume there will be no housing for the Lambda Sensor simply because the CAT has gone so there isnt a need to measure emissions. But what happens to the redundant Sensor, surely the Ecu aint gonna like that ??

Also fancy a Walbro pump, I wasnt really thinking of upping the injectors as I thought they might be good for a some more flow, the question that im stuck on and which leaves me with the Idea that only a Remap can solve. Just like the Downpipe/Lambda problem above im thinking that even if I have the new Walbro Pump and Bigger injectors the Ecu is still going to have the final say as to how much fuel goes in, meaning that it will remain pretty standard.
My understanding could be pretty cloudy but hopfully im on the right train of thought.

Ive just found out that the new DP will still have the housing for the Lambda afterall.

Oh and its a 96 Sti RA

[Edited by RA Jaay - 12/11/2002 11:48:33 PM]
Old 12 December 2002, 06:52 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You'd get a better/faster response if you posted this in the "Drivetrain" section.
Old 12 December 2002, 09:20 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

The pump is a safety mod - just ensures there's enough flow to supply what the ecu wants the injectors to provide.

You'll get a cel (check engine light) without the lambda sensor. Even without cat, it's still used by ecu during closed loop operation (low load/revs) to rock the mixture over stochiometric.

Richard
Old 12 December 2002, 10:11 AM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Wink

On a 96 STi the lambda lives in the manifold, so shouldn't be any problem.

The probe in the downpipe is for exhaust gas temp ~ it lights the 'cat on fire' light on the dash if it senses a problem with the cat (like its been removed).

It can be safely unplugged from the loom, and you will usually get a blanking plate with new downpipes to fill the hole.

If you are using the car on track the lambda can get a bit hot in the manifold, so i have moved mine to the top of the downpipe (the JWR and magnex systems have a space for it just after the turbo).

Everything seems to run fine with this set-up but would be interested to hear any comments on the move of lambda probe.

Hope this helps,
simon
Old 12 December 2002, 06:05 PM
RA Jaay
Scooby Regular

Either way a CEL is gonna put the car in limp mode right ?? So I want to be best avoiding that.

It will make more sense once I can get time to get under the car I suppose, and 5 days off should just about cover it