Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Tubular Exhaust Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 12 November 2002, 02:01 PM
Amorphia
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for you're reply Adam,

Just been looking to the MRT exhaust header ... found a place in the UK that sells em (http://www.jap-innovations.fsnet.co.uk/Main/Products/Engine/EngineExhausts.html)

bit pricey arnt they? Do you think it would be worth the money?

As for my warranty? Whats a warranty? I assume, because the pipes would be equal lengths, thats what kills the noise? MRT's aussy site lists a part with unequal lengths?

Also, how much would porting my current manifold cost?

[Edited by Amorphia - 12/11/2002 2:03:08 PM]
Old 11 December 2002, 12:56 PM
Amorphia
Scooby Regular

Question

Hi chaps,

Can someone tell me is replacing my exhaust manifold from the original cast iron lump, to a nice shiney new tubular one (by HKS for instance), would make a differance on my P1. I've had a downipe, centre section and back box fitted, along with a MoTeC ecu and APS induction kit.

I'm looking for more things to do, any ideas? (got the tuning bug now ... need more!!! )
Old 11 December 2002, 01:34 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

clearly your warranty doesnt matter to you any more.

IN that case yes it will make a difference, but you would benefit most of all by remapping afterwards.

There are plenty things you can do to improve things, and if you are prepared to spend the money i would advise going for a front mounted intercooler or a hybrid turbo first.

ou can have the standard exhaust manifold ported. It is far cheaper, produces worthwile gains, and doesnt cost you the lovely fla four burble that a cast manifold helps to produce.

If you do still want to go for headers, I would recommend the mrt over the others I have seen, purely because I have seen the results they can achieve.
Old 11 December 2002, 02:17 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Porting is pretty easy if you have the time to do it yourself. Cost is really just for the new gaskets.
Old 11 December 2002, 02:21 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

You can port them yourself for free, or get someone local who might be nice to help you out.

Or go to david wallis enterprises.com!!!

he tends to help people out, but me suggesting he do you a favour would be unfair.

If you cross his palm with some silver and endure the journey to york, I would go that route.

I think most of the noise with headers comes fro the construction rather than the tuned length of the pipes. The mrts do go someway to retaining the boxer note.

Moray mackenzie runs the mrt headers on his car, and some time back I was in the car when mark aigin (lateralperformance.co.uk) fitted the mrt headers to his too. The gains were incredible, despite the perceived small diameter of the runners.

I would still go for porting the standard and get yourself the power from other places.

It should be my signature now to be honest, but it really si worth you speaking to mark about any furtehr tuning stages you want. To my knowledge he has all bases covered and can sort out pretty much everything you need.

I dont feel so croney like recommending him now as it seems that everyone else is doing the same. I can say from experience that this is with good reason!
Old 11 December 2002, 05:23 PM
Flat Four Impreza Club
Scooby Regular

Seen the post on a group buy in Genral
Old 11 December 2002, 07:04 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Oi, Mark - can you provide headers?!

Richard
Old 11 December 2002, 07:23 PM
Amorphia
Scooby Regular

cheers for the heads up, been to ave a look at the group buy thing-a-me ... registered my interest.
Old 11 December 2002, 08:37 PM
Flat Four Impreza Club
Scooby Regular

Thank you. Hope we are of some help.