Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Suggestions 4 making exhaust quieter?

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2002, 11:24 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Indeed i do already have the bung which goes in the end of the blitz & IMO makes it far quieter since it takes diameter of zaust from 3" down to about 1.5" but sadly the freak of nature still, as i say i fink mostly in his head, believes this 2b unacceptable. So since i'm still being diplomatic i was looking for a way 2 better muffle or reduce further the size of freeflowing zaust at end even if just for a few metres till i'm clear of the garage But as i say failing that they will discover just how much louder it is without the 4mentionned bung
Si

[Edited by scooby_si - 12/9/2002 11:25:03 AM]
Old 12 November 2002, 12:36 AM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Question

How far are you driving before you take it off?
I used to have a GTiR which made a HELL of a lot of noise being reversed onto Mum and Dads driveay at night.

In the end, (after being threatened) I bought a couple of big sqauares of highly flame retardent foam, and would slam them in the boot so they were blocking the exhausts (twin 4" tailpies and empty backbox ). Would not reccomend this for more than 10metres of driving, but shut the car up on startup, and turned the bobble bobble bobble into iffl iffl iffl.

If you pushed the throttle too hard they would just flap away from the exhaust.

Edited to add: the foam was (I think) for sofa cushions! It was about 4-5 inches thick!

[Edited by Turbo_Steve - 12/11/2002 12:37:09 AM]
Old 09 December 2002, 08:37 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Question

Right miserable git neighbours round 2!
The son of the chap i rent the garage off still works stupid hours & still has a problem with exhaust waking him up supposedly (this is at 07:45 mon-Fri & even comes out moaning @ 11;30 on a sunday!) & being a right moaning SOB i basically have 2 quieten my exhaust down by new year or i'm outa there The insurance increase is about the same as what the garage costs me so it's not a problem in that sense but hell the paranoia of parking in the street round my way wood do my head in So basically while i think it's as much in his head as it is the reality of the exhaust being particularly noisy i am still trying 2b diplomatic & see if i can silence it any further?
The current set up is a blitz nurspec R jobbie (&standard DP) so true it is noisy as hell under normal circumstances but when coming out the garage & the street i have the silencer in with some glass tape wrapped around the outside so the metal doesn't vibrate against the metal (which sound cheap anyway)
Now i've tried the idea of a rag round the exhaust or silencer but that just doesnt work it either blows off or blows the entire silencer out (OK so i didnt screw it in but it woz just a test) I was thinking about sum sort of metal funnel or sumin which i kud stick in the end of the silencer which wood make the diameter of exhaust even smaller & thus quieter? but anyhow kudnt find owt so i guess thats a no go
A scooby collegue i woz @ a meeting with yesterday reckoned he'd red sumwhere about it getting quieter if you drilled extra hole (s) sumwhere on the silencer/ exhaust??? Any1 no if this is possible/true?
Any suggestions greatfully received in the mean time but failing that then his feked up logic is guna realise how much louder my car on the street without silencer is compared to garaged with!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (BTW any1 remember wot the form u can ask coppers 2 give u if they pull u 4 a noisier exhaust than standard is i recall from another thread, statutory defect rectification form or sumin? just incase i were 2 deafen him & he got coppers 2 pull me) oh & party round mine in the new year 3 booze just bring a noisy exhaust in the morning
Ta
Si
Old 09 December 2002, 10:22 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
see if you can find someone to swap exhausts with

a bung in the end will help, and i think they are available for the blitz. they are basically a funnel type thing that you speak off.

paul
Old 09 December 2002, 11:42 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could try exhaust wrap on some of the pipes, but I think you wouldn't see a great difference, and it would get scraped easilty etc. Seems to work well on a decat DP, but with your standard one, there is little you can do.

I would say your best bet is to see if someone with something like an APS, magnex resonated, HKS Super dragger or other quieter system would fancy a swap of some sort.

Paul
Old 09 December 2002, 11:55 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Already had a few offers but sod it i luv the noise i'm just looking 4 a way 2 even marginally dumb it down a tad just for 25m untill i'm clear of the winge zone then it's ear bleed time
But failing that, & at risk of sounding like a git, the winger in question is guna find out how good he's had it!
Si
Old 09 December 2002, 06:51 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
There was a widget posted on here a couple of months ago. (Was it John Banks? Not sure.) It was a motorised butterfly valve which when set vertically blocked the exhaust and downed the noise, then switch it to horizontal for full-on paaaarrrp.

Can't find the thread. Anyone else remember it?

Richard.

Trending Topics

Old 09 December 2002, 08:30 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

Sounds most promising dont suppose u can remember any of the wording in title, or roughtly when &/or which section it woz posted in do u, i'm quite willing 2 trawl thru da mass of threads But cant c anything obvious thru guesswork & search
Si
Old 09 December 2002, 08:39 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was from me and in drivetrain... within the last few months IIRC?
Old 09 December 2002, 08:50 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Wink

run a full decat system, then let him hear what a loud exhaust is all about!

The hks hiper exhaust system has a bung device, I believe one is avaliable for your exhaust - I will dig around, I am sure I have a link somewhere...
Old 09 December 2002, 08:56 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Red face

Mummy i found it cheers m8y interesting idea may have2 look in2 it & other brands recommended further but at that price i think i'd prefer 2 deafen the moaning git & have a respray on order when (devils advocate mode on ) he keys it kuz it's parked on road
Si
Old 09 December 2002, 09:02 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Cheers Christian i have seen bung on hks jobbie & its the same as the 1 i already have 4 my blitz which is y i reckon it's more in his head than the reality of how loud it is! & it is how i no he will get a serious wake up call when/if i get booted kuz then the silencer isn't going to be in & i may also b tempted 2 stick me radio (& at risk of sounding boy racer style twin sub woofers) on a tad earlier than i currently do But in mean time stil trying 2 keep garage & thus try 2 quieten it yet further even iff just till the end of the road
Si
Old 09 December 2002, 09:46 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Can us not push it out of the garage and then start it as the sound will resonate around the garage..

you have probably tried that already..

buy him some ear plugs?

JGM
Old 09 December 2002, 09:51 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Yeah cant push it as the driveway is between 2 houses & as such no space 2 have door open while pushing, although interesting that neither of the occupiers of the houses either side moan just the **** a few further down [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
& ear plugs i get free from work & i deliberately had in my coat 2 give him as xmas pressie but when he came storming out in his dressing gown on Sunday @ 11:15 getting arsy going have u not fixed that damn exhaust kinda thing it woz all i kud do from giving him a mouthfull let alone giving him a pressie
Si
Old 09 December 2002, 11:08 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

A slightly "off the wall" idea. The packing in a silencer is essentially steel wool. Get a few scouring pads (the twisted shavings of stainless type things) and fill the silencer bung with it/them. Gas will still flow through it, albeit restricted, and it will mute the noise by. I tried (very briefly at tickover) bunging a steel wool scourer up my exhaust, and it took the edge and deepness out of the burble. In conjunction with your silencer/bung thing (use that to hold the stuff in), it might do enough, and it will only cost a couple of quid to try it out.

BTW I don't intend to swap my (fairly quiet) APS system for anything louder.
Old 10 December 2002, 03:58 PM
FERRARINUTTER
Scooby Regular

Wink

Earplugs from boots #1.99, work a treat use them on the bike to reduce road noise!!!
Old 10 December 2002, 04:18 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

yeah i can get ear plugs free from work i even had sum in me pocket last time the freak came out moaning but i had 2 bite my tongue just 2 diplomatically walk away without any uncouthness so giving him a xmas pressie didn't spring 2 mind straight away
Si
Old 10 December 2002, 06:21 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

right well i've got sum steel wool stuff now i just gota a) see if it does actually reduce rumble at all & b) find a way 2 secure it so the raw power dont just blow it out.
Si
(although if the exhaust does work as a chucking device i may try eggs etc & point back end at winger lol)
Old 10 December 2002, 11:23 PM
Dyney
Scooby Regular

Talking

Right assuming the "steel wool" works!!!
Make a ball/disk up of chicken wire with the wool in the middle and fix it to the silencer bung.
Then all you have to do is pull the bung out and your ready for the off
Old 11 December 2002, 07:20 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

probably about 25m or so with the muffled zaust. Not too sure as the cloth thing will work as i did sample it as a test but it didnt seem willing 2 stay in place 4 at all but if the wool fails then i may have a furthe rplay
Si
Old 11 December 2002, 07:04 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Question

BTTT - After coming up with the suggestion, I'm curious if this has worked, or whether you have turned it into a "Blitz egg-launcher Spec R"
Old 11 December 2002, 07:16 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

i havent tried it with it secured but tried stuffing an entire roll of the steel wool up silencer in break today & it certainly made it much quieter so will try tying sum across the entry 2 the silencer tomorrow evening for a sample friday morning (cant b arsed unscrewing it now) & c how that pans out. We shall c how much is needed 2 make any diference as the hole roll is a tad OTT & i dont wana risk breakin anything (subaru paranoia in effect ) just kuz i restrict it too much Oh well i'm sure git wont notice & still moan
Si