Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

How long does it take to ECUTEK 3 a Scoob ?

Search this Thread

Old 12 March 2002, 08:52 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double post.....

[Edited by dowser - 12/3/2002 8:53:36 PM]
Old 12 April 2002, 08:37 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Hi Mark,

Sorry - wasn't intended as a dig. I agree with you - I just think there are varied results required from a remap (or tweak ). And, for me, the 'sensible safety margin' also depends on the customer.

Most people aren't that extreme (or enthusiastic?) here in CH - when I mention giving them more power they're very interested, but when I highlight they should have boost/knock/afr montioring they quickly lose interest. Consequently, what they get is conservative against what can be achieved. They know this, but are still very happy

I also think that the EcuTek capabilities appeal to a market that wouldn't necessarily be attracted to a replacement ecu solution (certainly here) - this is probably a bad thing given the product's capabilities

Richard

Edited to add: 128KBytes - so much from so little

[Edited by dowser - 12/4/2002 8:39:57 AM]
Old 02 December 2002, 06:43 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

As above really.

How long does it take to custom map a Scoob using Ecutek software.

Is this a one day thing ?

Cheers

Nathan..
Old 02 December 2002, 06:56 PM
Fat Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

about 2 hours- 30 mins fitting and 1.5 hrs to suitable road, 3 or 4 stops in between runs to fine tune it and back to base. Took 4 hrs for me but that included a boost gauge and knocklink.
Old 02 December 2002, 10:36 PM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

It all depends on the day. It may take a couple of hours or it may take a bit longer...but it is worth it

Go for it.

Tim
Old 03 December 2002, 04:32 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers guys.

Seriously tempted.

Just hope it makes a big enough improvement over my PPP and decat setup to justify the money spent.

Thanks

Nathan..
Old 03 December 2002, 05:00 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

I'd say it also depends very much on the mods you already have, and ... the tuner.

Sometimes the base map he starts of from will be very close, sometimes it's quite a bit of work. Then it depends on how much checking the mapper wants to do.

On my last session, Mark EMS spent about 4 to 5 hours to get everything right, and that was with the kind help of John Banks to give us a headstart with he calibrated MAF map (APS cold air induction kit). Might have taken much longer without that.

But if you have a standard turbo, decat exhaust, it might take less than 2 hours to get it spot on.

So "depends" is the only answer

PS: the "fitting" bit confuses me ... AFAIK there is no hardware fitting involved at all ? (unless maybe a different "known" lambda sensor)
Old 03 December 2002, 06:23 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
An Ecutek 3 re-map implies that the ECU will be TOTALLY custom mapped to suit the owners personal choice of mod's.

An experienced tuner, who has already mapped "several" cars, with a VERY SIMILAR list of mod's, could map a car in a couple of hours.

However, a couple of runs on the road to datalog, and then tweek, is NOT a proper re-map, it's just a tweek !!!

Throw in a different exhaust combination, up rated fuel pump, turbo, FMIC, injectors, etc', and it will take many hours to map correctly.

There's a MASSIVE difference between a "good safe map", and a "well mapped car" !!!!

Mark.

Old 03 December 2002, 08:51 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

And that's the real point - who's going to map a car close to the edge and send a happy customer on his merry way until the following week when he fits 'product x' which, rather than doing what it says on the lid, actually restricts the breathing a bit.

Your customer is suddenly, at best, an unhappy one with retarded ignition and, at worst, will beat you to death with the bits of his engine he could still find

Most customers *want* a safe, fit and forget, upgrade. While I have 2 engine builds in progress, all of my work to date has been 'Package' tuning. Around 75% don't even have a boost gauge in their car.

For any given hardware combination, I find the limit and then back off everything to give a nice fat safety margin. All of this is done either on my car, or a friends.....it takes (me, anyway) far more time than I care to admit. This is then the map I start with for a customers car - once on, it will be 'tweaked' around that particular set-up.

I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing someone elses car as far as I push my own - I'd guess I'm not the only one

Oh, the answer to 'how long does it take to ecutek 3 a scoob?'; around 1 minute and 34 seconds....technically speaking

Richard
Old 03 December 2002, 10:08 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Oh, the answer to 'how long does it take to ecutek 3 a scoob?'; around 1 minute and 34 seconds....technically speaking
LOL Was gonna say that, but forgot how long it takes to flash (what is it ? 90 Kb) to the ECU after playing ghost town with the fans
Old 03 December 2002, 11:33 PM
R19KET
Scooby Regular

Location: SSO2003 2nd, SSO2005 1st, SSO2006 2nd, TACC Rd4 5th 4wd: In my car ;-)
Richard,

Who said anything about mapping a car "close to the edge" ?

IMO, a GOOD map, means first finding the "edge", and then backing it off, leaving a sensible safety margin, but to do this, one first needs to find the "edge".........

This takes experience, accurate information, and a set of det' cans.

Anyone with any common sense, should know not to add mod's to a re-mapped car, without getting it re-checked.

Any mapper worth his salt, would make sure the customer was made fully aware of this.

Mark.