Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

blitz filter that supposed to suck but sucks at sucking, which, frankly sucks

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2002, 12:20 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have just changed from a pipercross induction on my 94 wrx to a blitz sus jobby that i got cheap from the 'for sale' bit on the scoobynet site. i had heard that these things were very good, and certainly made a nice new noise, so was looking for smiles all round, if only in accoustic value. i have never been very impressed with the pipercross unit, so was really looking forward to running a better kit, which is better situated right under the bonnet vent, rather than the pipercross position. however, after testing i am disappointed to report that i think the blitz filter is not as good as the pipercross one (the car definitley feels slower, maybe its just in my head) and it even sounds the same.d'oh. i was under the impression that i was going to get at least a group n rally type noise. curse my boredom. anybody got any ideas as to why this could be? the pipercross kit came with a aliminium pipe that replaced the standard plastic subaru air chamber thingy, but the blitz one necessitated (where are you spellcheck when i need you) its replacement, but i cant believe that this is affecting things... any advice/similar experiences?
Old 30 November 2002, 01:03 AM
gene1
Scooby Regular

Hi,put one on my99 and sounds awesome and seems to make it slighly better too,i have a vent scoop on that side of the bonnet and must admit that when this is open to force more air into the blitz it seems mors responsive again.Pity its closed more often than not with the rain and bad weather.
Gene
Old 30 November 2002, 08:32 AM
pban
Scooby Regular

Had one on my STI 5 with a link, sounded awesome. It sounded like airwolf when accelerating and I could hear the dump valve when changing gear.

Paul
Old 30 November 2002, 10:13 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Red face

...and they don't filter. Which will kill your turbo.

But apart from that!

Trout
Old 30 November 2002, 11:49 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

kill my turbo? thats bad right? excellent. yet another reason to leave well alone.

so do ya think my filter is the shy, quiet type then or wot? goddamit i want to sound like airwolf!!! after all i already look like ernest borgnine. wonder whats going on here...

anyone else got any views?

Ernest B.
Old 30 November 2002, 12:10 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Someone published the test results for a range of ind kits a while ago, seem to remember that K&N came out best. Some (anbd i cannot remember which faired very bady hardly filtering out the cr@p. Just done a search in induction kits and could not find it but it must be out there somewhere.

FYI (and IMHO) - K&N kits seem to get a good report, i had a Pipercross kit on my MY99 for 45K miles without any problems whatsoever.

Old 30 November 2002, 02:28 PM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

Smile

Welcome to running lean city!

MB

Trending Topics

Old 30 November 2002, 02:45 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

blimey, its begining to sound like ive wasted my money, even at second-hand money. i cant believe that it takes on that much more ar that itll cause things to run lean... this is a woryy cos ive also got a dawes on the go. have to say that so far the afr doesnt show any extra lean readings, in fact i would say that as yet the readings havent differed from the pipercross unit. can somebody explain why the blitz might cause me to run lean? surely this would show up on the afr? plus, wouldnt the increased flow of air and better positioning cause the car to run faster (at least until it detonates), mine is definitley slower.

also, is the filtration index that much worse that im really going to be sucking stones, twigs and small animals into my turbo? i know the reviews of these things were mixed, but as i found as many supporters as detractors, i thought id give it a go.d'oh.

matt.
Old 30 November 2002, 02:51 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Just to let you know..!!! i have one of these on my car and have had it on for 8 months now my car is an MY95 WRX and it sounds amazing..!!! Ive also had my car on the roling road only 2 months ago and the operator said that my fueling was spot on...

I also have a dawes device on my car too..!!

I did notice it was a bit more laggy lower down but not for long... i think it may be due to the design of the filter and the fact you are going to suck more warm air in from the surrounding engine bay...

Basically i ending up keeping mine on just for the sound it makes...!!!

Dan
Old 30 November 2002, 03:00 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

thanks dan. thats comforting. however, im now convinced that there must be summat up though, cos mine really doesnt sound a)that impressive or b) that different from the horrible hissing pipercross unit. when you mounted yours did you mount it using the standard subaru parts and just bolt it on to the end of the maf, so that the filter was just under the vent at 90 degrees to the bulkhead? my pipercross ran parallel to the bulkhead, and this extra restriction in the air flow (which should be far outweighed by the extra air feed from the vent directly above)is the only think i can think of which could be causing the extra slowness. i could always mount it in the same position as the pipercross, it wouldnt take too much fiddling.

also would be interested to know what boost your running with your dawes...
Old 30 November 2002, 03:44 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Boost on the dawes is set to around 12psi..!!

Here is a pic of how i fitted mine...!! i am however trying to get hold of the adapter pipe similar to the one that comes with the pipercross kit so i can lose the plastic box before the filter...

here is mine:

This is how i want it fitted though..!!

Dan
Old 30 November 2002, 03:55 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

great pictures dan, thanks a lot mate, theyre a big help. im printing them off now to see if i can 'engineer' (ie bodge) something up thatll allow me to do the same. cant work the smilies so ill just say im grinning like a yellow pac-man face who's just been given something to do for the rest of the afternoon away from mrs pac-man.

whats 14psi in old money? i still work in bar(but sadly, not in bars).

thanks again matey.
matt
Old 30 November 2002, 03:58 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

oops. i meant 12 psi.
Old 30 November 2002, 04:04 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

I think its around 0.85-0.9 bar.... 1 bar is something like 14.8psi....

I will be turning it up to about 1 bar soon...

If you want a bigger pic go here:

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadID=107771

Oh, and for smiles go here:

http://www.digit-life.com/ubb/smilies.html

and here:

http://www.mysmilies.com

Dan