Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What the hell do you think this noise is?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2002, 01:16 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I've been puzzling over this particular noise now for some time... bit of a long story so get yourselve a drink and when your comfy i will begin........

The car is a MY93 WRX (80000 miles). It started when i had a quickshift fitted. On the journey home i could hear what appeared to be wind like noise (or a light sort of scrapping) coming from the area between the gearbox and front left wheel (hard to tell where it's actually coming from tho). The noise would stop when then car was stationary and would change pitch slightly when i moved the gear **** (without changing gear).... it would also stop when stationary if i dipped the clutch but was there when moving no matter what gear i was in. I let the people that installed the quickshift look at it and they were satified it was installed correctly. So with the clutch almost worn out i decided to change it and thought it could rid me of the noise as it may be the release bearing. On the journey home after the new clutch was fitted the noise was still there.... bollox!

So now the noise has got a bit louder but nothing major.... when travelling at motorway speeds it's most noticable and still changes pitch if the gear **** is moved. It also changes when the clutch is dipped while on the move but is still there (also it's interestingly that it can hardly be heard now when stationary). So i don't really know what it could be. The actual gear change is smooth, so doesn't feel like a major gearbox problem?????

So what could it be...... quickshift, clutch, gearbox. Any suggestions etc would be good.

Tony.
Old 28 November 2002, 02:06 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

sounds like mine, quickshift linkage touching the metal bracket around the transmission tunnel under neath the grealever.
Old 28 November 2002, 02:54 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

That's what i thought too but i've been 'assured' that the quickshift is installed correctly. Maybe it's installed right but the actually product is at fault?

Tony.
Old 28 November 2002, 02:59 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Wink

Have a look yourself! i have altered my braket twice now And it now only does it briefly in 2nd.
Old 28 November 2002, 03:23 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

I have taken the gear lever surround off and can't see that it's touching anywhere. Gonna have a closer look this weekend.... maybe i've overlooked it. The noise sounds 'distant' tho.... like it's coming from in front and under the car rather than directly next to me. I can't pin point it's location .

Tony.
Old 28 November 2002, 05:13 PM
STE.W.
Scooby Regular

Location: from the planet Omicron Persei 8. What is this emotion "Wuv" you puny Earthlings speak of ??
Dont know if this is any good or not but I was spookily enough was looking at Ravensblade site ( I think thats what its called).

I looked into there faq site and found commonly asked questions.
1 of them was noise generated by quick shift linkages. They reckon that its the harder bush which generates more noise from the gears through the bush and back into the car.

Might be absolute pants but theoretically its possible.

bye.
STE.W.
Old 28 November 2002, 06:19 PM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Interesting.... i'll have a look.

May even try to get a standard gear lever and put it back in to see if the noise goes.... then again im a lazy ******* .

Tony.

Trending Topics

Old 29 November 2002, 12:21 PM
MelTypeR
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sounds like the same noise i had after i'd had my clucth changed.
I ended up taking it back to the dealer twice, in the end it seemed it was the gearlever bush which connects the arm to the gearbox.

Found a picture of it on Scoobymods website it is the rubber bush about half way down the page.

Worth a try.

Mel
Old 01 December 2002, 12:07 AM
Tone Loc
Scooby Regular

Cheers Mel,

Did they just change the bush? When i had the quick shift fitted it was basically just a replacement arm..... no new bushes. I'll have to get the screw driver out and have a look.

Tony.