Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

GGR sports cat downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2002, 05:43 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Looking for feedback good or bad on the above, especially on 01/02 WRX with PPP and no other mods...

Comparable in price to the SS route (downpipe + uppipe + CEL fix) but - IMHO - carries less risk (and I accept that it won't deliver all the gains of the SS setup).

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Edited to ask are there any "hidden extras" needed, such as EGT meter?

Cheers,
Gareth

[Edited by gareth - 11/22/2002 5:46:03 PM]
Old 22 November 2002, 07:50 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

I know of one person who has fitted one, and was getting about 265bhp and 269lbft with a TEK remap running only 16psi boost. And that was without an up-pipe.

However, you can't compare just an exhaust to exhaust plus up-pipe. I have a full APS sports cat system on my bugeye. Just had scoobysport up-pipe fitted yesterday and had headers ported at the same time. The improvement was not subtle! Haven't yet seen a CEL light, and I haven't fiddled any fixes. Only downside is the APS exhaust, plus headers & up-pipe (inc fitting) isn't cheap.
Old 22 November 2002, 10:33 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Without Prejudice....

I was thinking exactly the same as you - GGR is 10 mins away from me and i like you have an UK WRX PPP'd. I toyed with the idea but was held back by emails i exchanged with them.....

I asked if they were aware that "other suppliers" who had tested replacement d/p's on a PPP's WRX had found that it retards the ignition to a "on the limit of what the ECU can handle" and asked if they had looked into this..... as this supplier of famous scooby exhausts had since decided to ONLY sell its D/P WITH an U/P to negate the problem - with startling results...

They werent aware of this... and couldnt confirm that they had ACTUALLY TESTED a WRX PPP with there sports cat for this ignition issue.

So i asked about them testing this issue and i was basically told it'd cost ME!!!

So im not saying you are going to have a problem - it may be that the exhaust works perfectly safely (i have no idea either way and am not slagging the product) but i'd make sure they are not using you as a guinee pig.

Tell you what.... you get one, and let me know if it goes "BANG" or not

Jza
Old 23 November 2002, 12:18 AM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Jza,

Thanks for the thoughts - I was asking them similar questions today and didn't get much reassurance either. However, I thought the issues were mainly with decat downpipes, not with a sports cat...

Unfortunately I don't really understand the technical stuff and just get scared when people start saying words like "meltdown"

Cheers,
Gareth
Old 23 November 2002, 06:57 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Gareth,

The bottom line for me was that if they werent sure but "hadn't had any problems with non ppp'd cars" i dont think thats going to help me if it goes bang!!! What comeback would they have - a big fat zero unless you get something in writing

At least SS took the effort to fully test the car with the PPP and wouldn't sell the kit without the u/p.

Im not prepared to be a guinee pig for anyone!!!!

Costs too much

Let me know how you get on m8!

Jza
Old 23 November 2002, 10:24 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Jza,

I'm not sure how much comeback you have against anyone once you go beyond the Subaru-warranted kit...

Whatever, I spoke to PC today and will probably be going for the SS DP+UP next week.

G
Old 24 November 2002, 02:57 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Gareth - if you have the cash, IMHO get the headers ported at the same time. They have to take them of to get at the up-pipe anyway. Worth a few bhp through the range. I also believe it reduces the "boominess" to the exhaust note at low speeds, whilst still giving the noise at full throttle - which to my mind is the way to have it. Worth thinking about anyway.
Old 24 November 2002, 09:36 PM
gareth
Scooby Regular

bl00dy hell... my life is turning into a game of Gran Turismo
Old 24 November 2002, 09:38 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

Interesting point Hades - how much cost are we talking for this sort of thing?

Jza
Old 24 November 2002, 10:21 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Depends on where. Scoobysport was £200+VAT. May result in a few new gaskets etc being required, which might add a few more quid.