Ok done it today, finally!

All went well until the end

Will post pics tomorrow, as i am off out for a few beers with Emma

Sounds cool now, and the Dump valve sounds wicked

Steve
Old 10 November 2002, 11:23 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool.. Cant wait for the clutch
Old 10 November 2002, 08:07 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Finally!

Old 2.5” scoobysport top, and new 3” Hayward & scott downpipe bottom.

Basically the same exhaust except for the last 4” or so that stays 3” bore, see difference in opening where it meets the centre section.

The soot on the gasket explains where the leak was coming from! Thought it was the up pipe TBH, but one of the nuts had come off the turbo (I cant of tightened it enough), hence the leak!

New downpipe (Hayward & scott) but now lagged!!! Must have used about 40! Of 2” lagging for that!!!!

All 6 parts lined up. (Top to bottom) HKS Super Dragger Centre, Magnex resonated centre, HKS Super Dragger Titanium back box, Scoobsport back box, Scoobysport 3” to 2.5” downpipe and then Hayward & Scott 3” through downpipe.

Looking at the above, I can now see the problem I came across, the HKS centre is way too short!!

With the back box sat correctly (flush with bumper) and centre on, this is how short of the downpipe it is!!

With a bit of brute force and ignorance, they met!!![img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Finsihed result. Not happy with it IMHO. Will be cutting the centre and welding in an extra piece. (well david will)

Replacement dump valve. Good bye APS, which was leaking! Hello Forge.

Well, I have done about 10 miles so far and the sound is awesome. The new dump valve makes a hell of a chatter which sounds nice, but could get annoying, I will see how I go. Emma said, “what the hell is that noise”, I explained, she replied “another bloody noise to listen too”

Car feels a lot smoother TBH, especially on lifting off. I think that could be down to the dump valve though IMHO.

Wish I had done it before Well Lane now, would have beaten David then

Steven
Old 10 November 2002, 09:04 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Beaten David?

Well, if we had had the time to check the mapping at some time other than 2 minutes before the run, I think we could have whooped YOU EVEN MORE THAN WE DID, low torque boy!

Hell, at this rate even I will beat you at well lane 4.

paul
Old 10 November 2002, 10:52 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Theo's APS DV (new) was leaking at idle and the idle speed was flucutating all over the place. OEM DV fixed it.

The Forge does sound a bit weird IMHO, but with the red spring is quite smooth on lift off with our setup.
Old 10 November 2002, 11:33 PM
Hugh138
Scooby Regular

So Steve, you going to be giving those a bit of spit and polish for me? Or do I have to bring my autoglym on friday

Still no brakes If they arrive this week (they should have been here last week) will David have all the necessary gizmos/required patience to fit? Apparently you need to tap a thread to fit the callipers - there is a thread here where someone has done the fitting. I'm sure for a man of David's expertise it shouldn't be a problem If there is anything I need to buy, let me know.

Hugh
Old 10 November 2002, 11:36 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
**** off.

Anyway another step up the ladder for you

David

(whos never fallen off a ladder yet )
Old 11 November 2002, 08:27 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

FO yourself

That made you guys bite

Hugh, they will get a polish, but you can bring your Autoglym if you like! Email David about the brakes.

David, my bloody shin hurts like hell. Why oh why do i get so pi55ed (for those in the know, the ladders (no stairs yet) that get us from downstairs to upstairs, slipped and gave way on saturday night as i stood on the top step)!!

Paul, just a wind up.

In serious though, with the leaking gasket and the ****e jubilee clips that come with the APS kit, which allow various tubes to leak slightly under pressure, or just blow off!!, i am sure my figure could have been a bit more.

Another 50 miles this morning and TBH the exhaust seems a little bit quieter than the other one!

Like the dump valve noise actually ATM.

My car must be running very rich, which IIRC David said it was after following me in his car with Adam driving, because the amount of soot in the exhaust was unbelievable!

Happy for now, just need to find some clips.

[Edited by P20SPD - 11/11/2002 8:30:16 AM]
Old 11 November 2002, 09:36 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Yeah, well I'll still beat you, my 13psi of boost will whoop your ****!

Interesting about exhaust noise, I thought your's was quite loud given it was the same DP and BB as mine, although mine is the "Quiet" variety. I didn't think there was much of a difference, but I found my car to be rather quiet on the way home from Leeds.

The anoying things is the Super Dragger for mine only comes in a 2.5" internal diameter tube size. I am very tempted to buy a Mongoose 3" system and convert it to flange joins (at the DP anyway).

paul
Old 11 November 2002, 09:41 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Funny that, because alot of people at Well Lane said, christ what exhaust you got cause it sounds loud!

It was probably the lack of a bolt on the turbo causing it to blow that caused the noise to be a bit higher!
Old 11 November 2002, 05:42 PM
Hugh138
Scooby Regular

Better not be too loud - I don't think my car is 'wide' enough to justify it!
Old 11 November 2002, 06:17 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I thought that the Drager was always 3" ; do I have a special one or do you have a special car ?
Old 11 November 2002, 06:33 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

he has a legacy..
Old 11 November 2002, 06:40 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Ah, very special
What... object at HKS decided to make them for legacys/cies/ci (?!) in a small di, I wonder? Boredom? A chance to make them cost more?
Oh well
Old 11 November 2002, 08:29 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Wink

nahh they just new paul would buy the hearse at some point

definatley quieter in the cabin, but managed to give it a bit of blast coming home tonight, 6500rpm in 4th and it sounded good. i can live with that, but then i have already started thinking HIPER

i think the lagging of the downpipe must have something to do with the drop in volume.

even David said it sounded quieter when i passed his work today, but then i blew another hose off the FMIC kit. F'ing cheeap jubilee clips that they supplied. quick visit to halfords and sorted
Old 11 November 2002, 10:59 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

more jubilee clips!

LMFAO!

I take it you keep some spare with gloves and driver in the car now!

Funny thing is, on David's car (which I know isn't daily driver) it doesn't have any beads on the tube ends. I think one reason it works well is there was no oil at all when we put the hoses on etc.

I would hazard a guess, that a little talc powder might make them easy to get on, and shouldn't let them slip like oil residue. I also find something like glass cleaner works okay, is it dissapears altogether, leaving a dry joint that is almost stuck together.

Paul
Old 12 November 2002, 10:19 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Wink

Paul, i dont wear gloves, unlike you of course
Old 12 November 2002, 10:34 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

ROTFLMFAO

Suppose you need more power than me Paul, afterall you do have alot more weight and a bigger brick to move through the air

So, you know what my car can do, especially on the road, what can the hearse do???

Steven
Old 12 November 2002, 12:22 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Shame the pics aren't showing. Perhaps I should show up at well lane with a coffin in the back?

Of course you don't wear gloves, you just get David to do the dirty work. I on the otherhand wear gloves, and get David to do the dirty work.

Although my car is heavier as standard, I figure mine must weight the same as your wagon Steven, what with all the gauges, control boxes and stuff in the front, the the kiddie cage in the boot.

Paul
Old 12 November 2002, 12:54 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

If I had noticed this thread then I wouldn't have had to email you and ask Steven..

Another vote for and from an Impreza wagon here...

JGM
Old 12 November 2002, 02:36 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Although my car is heavier as standard, I figure mine must weight the same as your wagon Steven, what with all the gauges, control boxes and stuff in the front, the the kiddie cage in the boot.
absolute tosh

bring it on, glove boy
Old 12 November 2002, 04:57 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

okay, the gloves are off now accountant boy!

Somehow the hearse of doom will beat you!

Or possibly not

Paul
Old 25 November 2002, 08:31 PM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Angry

Right its pi55ing me off now. the joint at the downpipe and centre is blowing, cant get it any nearer, and the tailpipe is burning my bumper[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img], so i am going to butcher the bloody thing!!!

the centre section must be at least 5 to 6 inches too short.

why on earth didnt i just go for the hiper!!!!!!
Old 25 November 2002, 09:39 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

I have a nice magnex centre section you can have for the right price...

It sounds like a bit a botch up (the exhaust, not the fitting). If you're within 28 days of receipt, you can take it back on the grounds of not being fit for purpose.

If retailer doesn't want to play ball, you're in a very good position, and it would be an easy task to get your money back IHMO.

Paul
Old 25 November 2002, 09:55 PM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Steven,

40' of 2in lagging - **** me - that is a lot. I lagged my H&S 3in d/p with about 20' of 1in - how much did you put on?!!!!!

You know it is only supposed to be one layer thick - not wrapped like the **** of a baby with diahorrea!

Also, did you soak it before you put it on - makes it shrink nice and tight on the pipe (so to speak!)

Trout
Old 25 November 2002, 10:55 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Wierd looking Drager centre you've got there. Well, mine looks different, anyway And it fits!
Old 26 November 2002, 08:32 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Paul, it was bought off here second hand!

Trout, no i did not soak it in water, just did it really tight. Got a 50' roll of 2" lagging, anly wrapped once, i am guessing at the 40', as i have not measured what is left. just doesnt look as if there is alot left!

nom, would be interested to see a picture of your centre section!

Steven
Old 27 November 2002, 08:30 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Right, can someone do me a favour and post up a picture of an HKS Super Dragger (Centre section Only) and a Blitz NUR Spec (Centre Section Only)

Cheers

Steven

PS Will leave David to post up some pics!
Old 27 November 2002, 10:12 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Angry

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! !!!!!!!!!!!

Why did i bloody well go and change it[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Old 27 November 2002, 10:28 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Sorry - would love to oblige here with the photo, but oddly the thing's sitting in a shed nowhere near me at the moment
I'll scoot about & try to find a pic of one like mine...
that is if it'll help...
(the mid & bb are different lengths to standard on mine as well, but put them together & they are a perfect fit).

Quick Reply: Changed my exhaust and my dump valve!