Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Re: Sti Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2002, 09:22 AM
Type-R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have misordered the pistons I need for my car (MY97 WRXRASTi GC8-058820 EJ20K>.

I have 4 x Grade A STI Forged Pistons but require 1 Grade B piston, just wondering if anyone knows where I can swap this or exchange it with anyone.

As stated my pistons are unused and brand new and I desperately need to swap only 1, for a Grade B, I am willing to pay a premium on top for the swap, as my supplier in Japan will not accept returns !!!

Just wondering if it would cause a problem if I used all Grade A pistons ??
Old 06 November 2002, 12:13 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the grade is just (very slightly) different sizes. You should be able to measure the piston clearances and see what the odd one is.

You might get away with it.

I've no idea on piston clearances for these engines, but plenty have rebuilt, I seem to remember about 2.5thou (0.1mm) for the cossie pistons, but it will differ from piston to piston.

Paul
Old 06 November 2002, 12:21 PM
Type-R
Scooby Regular

I have been told by Subaru UK (indirectly) that the difference between the grades is 4 thou' of an inch, am getting the pistons measured to see if they will fit !!

I assume if you were to fit Cossie pistons you would fit 4 the same and they are not different sizes or grades ??

Cheers
Old 06 November 2002, 01:30 PM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4 thou difference is a lot!

SO I would expect one of the bores to be larger than the rest (piston pick up cleaned in bore?).

If you get a full set of B grade, it would be possible to bore and hone the other bores to suit

Paul
Old 06 November 2002, 03:02 PM
Type-R
Scooby Regular

But Surely if you purchase 4 x Cosworth Pistons - will they all have be different sizes or do you need to bore them to fit ??
Old 06 November 2002, 04:55 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

It is not 4 thou. It is I think, 0.01mm
I put second hand STI pistons into my legacy, and I did not get matching A's and B's. I just tried each one into the bore to see which fitted best, and all is well. No probs.
The difference will be so small, I wouldnt worry anyway. Not even sure why they bother making them different sizes, for all the difference there is.
Old 06 November 2002, 05:00 PM
Type-R
Scooby Regular

That sounds like the answer I was looking for but it just suprising that if you were to replace 4 STI pistons with Cosworth pistons, surely they would be the same size hence not making sense why the original STI pistons are Grade A and B and slightly different sizes !!
Old 06 November 2002, 05:35 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

when you replace with cosworth pistons, it is normally due to an engine failure which often causes pistons to pick up on bore,

this means you get the whole lot over bored and rehoned anyway, and buy 4 oversized cosworth pistons.

they do come in standard size, but for security you buy them with a 0.25 or 0.5mm overbore
Old 06 November 2002, 09:36 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Only original pistons are sized A and B. The cosworth pistons are all the same size. A friend bought a set of Cosworth pistons about a year ago, and at that time, only oversize were available, partly due to the A/B thing. I think they do now make them in std bore size, which must be one size fits all, so to speak.
There is a little more info on the Grahame Goode racing site.
Old 07 November 2002, 09:47 AM
Type-R
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your help - but I'm still left a little confused - should I fit all 4 Grade A Pistons or scrap 2 and buy two more Grade B ?

Just want to make sure that it doesn';t adversley effect the engine !!

Old 07 November 2002, 10:34 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I would sell the lot to someone who can use the lot.

and take a hit on the price, then buy 4 cosworth, omega, or je type pistons, in an oversize and have a rebore to fit them.

They are better pistons too!
Old 07 November 2002, 05:01 PM
Ivor_the_engine_ChooChoo!
Scooby Regular

It is stamped on the top of your block, towards the front, along the centreline of the block where it splits, where the A's and B's should be, and obviously how many.