Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Slipping problem

Search this Thread

Old 11 June 2002, 12:22 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Clutch feels great slightly heavier on the old peddle than the previous one but well worth the money, Come with release bearing, pressure plate & drive plate. If you want one let me now as i have a friend in the Ebc business. Only extra ontop will be carriage / P & P etc oh yes & that Sh1ter called Vat.. My94 UK last dynoed @ 272 Bhp & they reckon the clutches will cope with 300 +.
Dean

[Edited by DeanF - 11/6/2002 12:23:28 PM]
Old 05 November 2002, 04:57 PM
e-volve
Scooby Regular

When i start the car from cold all is fine, do the usual warm up drive and then after that.....plenty of boostable fun to be had, loads of tourqu and power but..............when i stop the car if only for a 10 mins the clutch slips like mad, basicly it feels screwed, but after 10-20mins of driving the clutch grips again.
I have been told its not the clutch because it would slip no matter whene i drove it, and have been advised that it is either my Master or Slave cylinder.
The clutch pedal physicly feels different until a few miles down the road again then im off again...??

has any body else had the same problem?
the Car is a N plate Jap WRX.....52000 on the clock running standard boost
Old 05 November 2002, 11:46 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Wink

doesnt sound like the master cylinder, if this had gone then the pedal would be more reluctant to return to the up position, if you know what i mean. i had this problem on my 94 wrx, and replacing the MS didnt make a difference. sounds more to me like youve got air in your fluid, and this is causing the on/off problem with your clutch. your fluid could just want changing cos its old and scummy, or you could have a leak soemwhere thats sucking in air and letting out fluid. either way, a fluid change is a cheap and easy place to start. hope this helps, drop me a line if i can help further.

good luck,
matt.
Old 06 November 2002, 11:00 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

I had a simular problem, Swapped the clutch master cylinder seals & it made no difference, Thought it must be the clutch but could not understand why it didn't slip all the time. Eventually bit the bullet & swapped the clutch. It was down to the rivetts & well worn, Replaced with EBC sports clutch Kit for £130. + Vat & all is Hunky Dory.

Hope this Helps

Dean
Old 06 November 2002, 11:19 AM
==WRX==
Scooby Regular

I gonna pick up a master and slave cylinder just to be on the safe side, as for the clutch i dont think this has gone as it pulls all the way to the red line in every gear, with no slipping till i stop the engine for a while then it starts to slip, i think Ill start looking for that leak though, maybe thats the problem......
where did you get the clutch from? £130 sounds very nice
whats it like on the road?

cheers
jay

ps changed my name as it was getting confusing...lol
Old 06 November 2002, 11:54 AM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

an ebc clutch for 130 notes? wherewherewhere?
Old 06 November 2002, 02:21 PM
==WRX==
Scooby Regular

well i thought id better let you all know about my slipping problem ( evolves post before i changed names ).
Nipped up to RC Developments and spoke to clive.....20mins later he had sorted it at a cost of "0 pence", my clutch was not returning to its netural position there for not engaging the plate correctly, add to this a tiny amout of air in the system and youve got one sh*tty clutch.........the air was expanding witht he heat and holding the clutch off the drive......doh!!!
anyways its all better now.....thanks again for the help guys....another star in my book for scoobynet.....*****Legandary******
Old 06 November 2002, 02:34 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Wink

id be interested to know how youre man sorted out the return problem. my clutches problem(s) started like this, with the pedal parking a few cms from the fully 'up' position and therefore was causing my clutch to slip erracticley, not to mention the damage it was doing to the clutch. i got around this by attaching a spring to the front of the pedal arm on a bracket that is then tensioned under the dash, thus assisting the pedal return fully home. i tried master cylinders et al and it made no difference whatsoever. so what did he do? at 0 pence the price is certainly right!

glad it all worked out for you mate.
matt.
Old 06 November 2002, 04:38 PM
==WRX==
Scooby Regular

Could not honestly tell you what he did, but if you give him a call he will point you in the right direction im 100% on that

http://www.rcdevelopments.co.uk
call 01606-786706
e-mail info@rcdevelopments.com

really nice people and a kickass company
( theres a 22b in the showroom next door, so at the very least its nice to go and see...hahah )
Old 06 November 2002, 07:30 PM
stockcar
Scooby Regular

Received 379 Likes on 301 Posts
done a couple of cars lately that have "lost" the spring that sits between the clutch arm and a small brkt attatched to the top of the bellhousing - sort this and the peddle can be night and day!!
alyn - as performance