Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Impreza Won't Start After it Stalls

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2002, 08:39 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

If I stall my impreza (doesn't happen very often honest ) it won't start for about a minute. Not really bothered but just wondering why it happens

Thanks

Matt
Old 03 November 2002, 08:43 PM
normarker
Scooby Regular

Same here on a UK MY98.
Let me know if you find out
Old 03 November 2002, 11:16 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

I find it difficult to start after stalling mine, when i'm reversing up my steep drive it sometimes happens. Its got to be something to do with flooding I think.
Maybe the injectors are still going when the engine stops, thus flooding the engine. As oposed to the ecu shutting off the fuel/ignition etc to stop the engine?
Old 04 November 2002, 09:22 AM
Arron
Scooby Regular

OK Guys,
Had the same problem with my MY98, it used to do it if I just missed it's fire up cycle ( not turning the key for long enough ) or as said stalling.
I used to put my foot to the floor and then eventually it would fire, JUST KEEP YOUR FOOT TO THE FLOOR AND KEEP THE IGNITION KEY TURNED UNTILL IT FIRES.

I spoke to my local dealer to see if this would cause any damage and according to them it does'nt.

Hope this helps

Arron.
Old 04 November 2002, 09:29 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Aarron, that's the last thing you should do. It explicitly states in the user manual that you shouldn't touch the throttle whilst starting the car due to the way the injection/fuel pump system works.

I never had any problems with my scoobs starting - I just kept my foot well away from the loud pedal whilst turning it over.
Also, if you put the car into neutral and depress the clutch whilst starting, you should find that the reduced load on the starter motor gives a bit more oomph when starting.
Old 04 November 2002, 09:51 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Only stalled twice since Ive had it and never had any problems restarting with the clutch down.

Simon.
Old 04 November 2002, 10:18 AM
blair
Scooby Regular

Does the user manual not also state that if you stall the car, the way to get it to restart is to actually put your foot to the floor then turn the ignition ?

I don't have it to hand but I'm pretty sure thats what it says in my MY98 manual.

Certainly when starting the car from cold - don't touch the accelerator I'm pretty sure the lead right foot and then the turn the key is right for re-starting a stalled engine - it definitely works

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 04 November 2002, 11:40 AM
Arron
Scooby Regular

Marko
Your probally correct, but when you are at the lights or in trafic and have a long Q of cars behind you you don't give a Sh*T what the manual says you just try and start the thing as quickly as pos.
Old 04 November 2002, 12:00 PM
Dr Nick
Scooby Regular

I can't provide answer to any of this but also find it very difficult to start again after a stall. It happens so rarely that it really bothers me when it does happen. I have a MY00.

Can someone get their manual and give us the skinny if there is anything about restarting after a stall - mine's in Dutch ;-)
Old 04 November 2002, 12:51 PM
Chris_S199
Scooby Regular

Our '98 only has a problem restarting if it's cold which I think is to do with the amount of fuel that's dumped in the engine as it's running rich (judging by the amount of partially burnt fuel chucked out when it's finally restarted! ). When it's warmed up and stalls, no problems at all to restart it. Dunno if it's a factor, but we've got an aftermarket air filter and decat exhaust?

Chris
Old 04 November 2002, 01:47 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sounds like it might be worth cleaning the cam and crank sensors..

Also consider doing the engine earthing mod..

JGM
Old 04 November 2002, 03:20 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no point cleaning the cam and crank sensors unless they are optical which I doubt they are with just two wires.

David
Old 04 November 2002, 03:25 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thats what I thought but mine ran a lot smoother after cleaning them and Nimbus had a restart problem when stopping for fuel and I suggested he tried cleaning them and it solved the problem..

The sensor was dying so couldn't work through the dirt.. just worked as a get him by until he bought another one..

If you are reading this Nimbus how is the car?

They have more than two wires too.. dunno what they do though.. that is the limit of my knowledge on the subject

JGM
Old 04 November 2002, 09:30 PM
markwild
Scooby Regular

Talking

Folks, my understanding of the difficult starting is as follows:

Since the engine is boxer, the valves and plugs are on the vertical face of the head (rather than at the top !)

Therefore, when stalling (or if you turn it over and let go of the keys before it fires! (I do this a lot!!!)) then the plugs are easily fouled with fuel..

The manual does state that full throttle and turning over will start the car. This is because the full throttle allows max air and little fuel, compensating for the additional fuel in the cylinder and correcting the mixture. I'd recommend taking the throttle off as soon as it starts though !

You also get a big cloud of black smoke, which makes the neighbours think you drive a shed ;-)

Mark
Old 05 November 2002, 12:54 AM
weatherman
Scooby Regular

Sometimes get a puff of blue in the smoke after a difficult start - goes away very quicly though.

Stuart