Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Error code 24

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2002, 06:59 PM
deanmachine
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have had error code 24 on and off for a while. I know this to be the idle control solenoid,have swapped this with a known good unit and reset ECU. Took car for a run and the CEL comes on in the exact same circumstances.Gave the replacment a good clean with carb cleaner and still the same. Any ideas? Maybe wiring fault? How would i go about tracing a fault in wiring?

Scott
Old 04 November 2002, 11:40 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Wink

hi,
quick question... have you just put on an induction kit?

i had this exact problem and it turned out to be the wire from the lambda sensor had moved against the manifold and burnt through. this may not be your problem, but your symptoms are exactly the same as mine. the cluster of wires that run to the lambda run down near the windscreen end of the air box (near a small coolant hose that looks like a question mark), underneath it and then down to the sensor. mine had worked its way down there after a typically shoddy install of my pipercross induction kit. it baffled me for a while and i even had a friend run it through a select monitor diagnostic thingy but it couldnt find the root. my suggestion is to start there. if not, testing wires is simple enough, if a little time consuming. each wire is very long and may be difficult to trace so you'll just have to take your time and isolate and do one at a time. normal chain of events is: wire from sensor goes to ecu. ecu wire goes to under dash. sounds obvious, i know, but it allows you to test shorter pieces of wire. start from the inside and work out if i were you. also, if you have taken out the blanking plates from your under bonnet vents, amke sure that the sensor wires arent getting wet and or damaged by water.

hope this helps,apologies if it doesnt. drop me a line if i can help again. good luck.

matt.
Old 05 November 2002, 08:35 PM
deanmachine
Scooby Regular

Thanks Matt

I have just noticed that my lambda sensor cables have been cut and crimped back together. I will remake the connections and waterproof with heat shrink at the weekend and see if that makes any difference.

Scott
Old 05 November 2002, 11:36 PM
matt b.
Scooby Regular

Wink

hi,

it also crosses my mind that to get rid of the infernal error 24 warning code i had to do a full wipe down of the capacitors and memories and it took quite a few attempts to do this, as the codes can be fairly resilient, which i suppose is a good thing really. disconnect the earth from the battery and leave it off for at least three hours. this way the stored code will be gone, and you will have a better idea of whether you have cured the problem or not. of course, if it comes back, your back in the shoite, but at least you will be working from a newly generated code rather than the original generation which ignores the changes you have made. hope that makes sense, though my suspicions are that it doesnt. d'oh.

be lucky mate.

Matt.
Old 06 November 2002, 07:14 PM
deanmachine
Scooby Regular

I had a nightmare too trying to erase the codes from memory, i tried several resets of the ECU and didn't work. Scott T suggested removeing the power to it which i did overnight and that did clear it. Drove for ten mins and on comes the light!!! Things look promising though just had a look under bonnet with torch and not only has the lambda cable been joined it wasn't even pushed into the plug properly. the crimped joins were also sitting in a puddle of water on the under tray. Hope this was the problem haven't had a chance for test drive yet.

Scott