Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

What are the problems with fitting DP to MY02?

Search this Thread

Old 11 February 2002, 04:05 PM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The CEL fix does make a slight difference actually.I had my fully de-catted MY01 on Well Lanes rolling road last weekend and it made 258bhp with the CEL light on.The guys then reset the light and ran the car again and it made 262bhp........ (I have the CEL fix at home but haven't fitted it as yet!!! )
It's definitely worth de-catting,the downpipe being the most restrictive cat in the system.I've noticed since removing the up-pipe cat that the cars smells quite 'fumey' in a morning when starting from cold and also after a bit of a thrashin!! (Quite normal from what I hear but worth noting!)

Get ya money spent mate!!!

Nick

[Edited by NickAdams - 11/2/2002 4:08:01 PM]
Old 02 November 2002, 11:40 AM
evo5uk
Scooby Regular

Planning on fitting a downpipe to my MY02. However, i have heard many horror stories concerning this.

All you help is appreciated as i want one but dont want the hassle of my motor blowing up.
Old 02 November 2002, 02:10 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have fitted the downpipe to my My01 with no problems what so ever. Advantage, pulls really hard from about 3000rpm, disadvantage, t'was a knuckle bleeding job to fit it. But well worth it, especially when put with the PPP

ScoobyDoo69
Old 02 November 2002, 02:54 PM
evo5uk
Scooby Regular

Did you need to get the cel fix?
Old 02 November 2002, 03:02 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, once you fit the downpipe or uppipe, you need to get the CEL fix, because the car thinks that there is something wrong with the catylsts. I have still not got mine, but i am not bothered about the CEL being on, coz the car pulls all the way through the revs , but if you are bothered about the CEL being on, then yes you will want the CEL fix.

ScoobyDoo69
Old 02 November 2002, 04:02 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Talking

I've got an APS sports cat system on mine, and it hasn't thrown a CEL yet. Whether that will change on Monday when I get the up-pipe fitted remains to be seen.

The fitting is not too difficult if you put the front on ramps, but it helps if there is two of you so one can go underneath and one under the bonnet. Some people have had problems with seized bolts, I didn't. Brother and I fitted it Thursday evening after work.

The difference? The engine revs to 7k or more without tailing off, the turbo comes in earlier, power is well up, expecially after 4k. The noise is significant, but not intrusive on the cruise, and can be drowned out with a stereo should you want to. Going through Dartford tunnel earlier, it's much nicer to oopen the windows and boot it in 2nd/3rd.

One thing I will say - the ECU seemed to take a while to get used to it. Initially pulled OK on gentle throttle but not happy if you boot it. You could feel the ECU working out what was going on for the next few miles, and after say 50-100 miles in 5 runs, it was running smoother and happier than ever before, and much faster. There are rumours that the ECU can compensate and stop your power gains. Mine hasn't - at least not yet.