Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

legacy twin turbo upgrades??????

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2002, 06:59 PM
buzzerboyroy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

i am currently upgrading my 94 twin turbo estate,but running out of ideas.
for some reason it does not have a decent "sink into your seats feeling" as i thought it would have ,,or is that a twin turbo thing???????
i have not yet managed to get it to wheelspin in 1st or 2nd, even in the wet(only tried when trying out recent mods).
dont get me wrong,it pulls away fast,and goes quite well,but when i struggled to keep up with a poxy renult 175 from the lights the other day i felt quit embarrased.

has anyone any ideas,??????
not done much to her really
i have fitted a pipercross cone air filter,
atmos dv,
powerflow backbox,but am changing for a blitz n ur spec,when it arrives.

cheers in advance , roy.

[Edited by buzzerboyroy - 10/26/2002 7:11:24 PM]

[Edited by buzzerboyroy - 10/26/2002 7:22:25 PM]
Old 26 October 2002, 07:32 PM
buzzerboyroy
Scooby Regular

Question

also ,,where could i get a centre section(decat)???????????

cheers,,,,,,,,roy
Old 27 October 2002, 12:05 PM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

Sounds like the mods you are doing are killing the low to mid range...more flow, less back pressure. After the Nur Spec you may have trouble beating a twingo

The key is finding a balance. The TTs are not WRX engines, the same mods do not always have the same result (and too much flow can have some surprising results - thing "boom").

Visit the legacyb4 group on yahoo - lotsa TT owners there...
Old 27 October 2002, 09:51 PM
buzzerboyroy
Scooby Regular

Cool

cheers ajbasebloke,

i have spent hours looking though the legacy b4 groups on yahoo,and found lots of very usfull stuff,ie,,

1,not to replace both downpipes to middle cat for a catless system,as the primary turbo overspools too quickly and knackers very quickly!!!!!!!!but a cat-back system seems to be ok.which i will stick too.

2,not to use 15w50 fully synthetic oil in a twin turbo???????!!!!!!..and to use 5w50 fully synthetic instead to slow down primary turbo overspooling,and getting to the fuel cut.not hear this one before but aparrently it works??!!

3,earthing is quite bad on my model(bg5)!!!!!!!!!!!so may do a 7 point earthing mod back to the battery to see if it makes any difference in pick up,idle,and at speed.

4,the dreaded vod(valley of death between turbo changover) i have to put up with seems to be very common thoughout twin turbo owners.

etc,etc,etc,oh i also found a dealer that sells exhausts for legacy estates and other parts as well but is in new zealand!!
all in all i have learnt a lot and will be very carefull upgrading her.
thanks again,,roy
Old 27 October 2002, 10:22 PM
buzzerboyroy
Scooby Regular

Question

oh ajbasebloke ,,any ideas,where i can get a set of white face clocks for it from over your way????

has anyone else got any ideas on mods ????????i think i am getting well into this now!!!!!!!

[Edited by buzzerboyroy - 10/27/2002 10:37:38 PM]
Old 28 October 2002, 02:58 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

No worries Roy! Glad you took it the right way - some peeps insist that all scoobs are the same, sometimes they get lucky, sometimes they end up having to replace major components

Being an old conservative git, I tend to protect my investment (while beating it to death on circuits ). Short story is that the cars are very robust if tuned carefully and driven considerately (what car isn't? ).

If you are going for some mod time, join the group and ask around (I guess you already have). IMHO, before you go mod crazy invest in a lambda link, and knocklink for starters coz the cars are working on the ragged edge with lower grade fuels. Oil temp, pressure and water temp wouldn't be a bad idea either - lots of dosh, but worth it to protect your investment (again, IMHO).

Cheers

Old 28 October 2002, 04:48 PM
buzzerboyroy
Scooby Regular

Talking

i have recently fitted two boost guages and a volt meter under my cd player to get some info on what the turbos are doing
(looks quite cool having both guages doing different things!) i like the idea of the knocklink and the lambda link, but it concerns me messing about with things like a knock sensor.

are they easy to set up??properly or is ther nothing to it?does anybody have experience with this sort of set up?

i drove the car today for the first time in 3 days as i have been off work with a sicknees bug,and i didnt realize how fast it acually was,surprized really!so i just must have been getting used to the power,strange that!

Old 30 October 2002, 01:13 AM
AJbaseBloke
Scooby Regular

AFAIK the knocklink and lambda link are good investments. Lots of people have them (mostly Impreza owners) and I am sure the tech sections have lots of threads relating to both products.

It is a surprise driving these cars after a few days "off" - they are quicker than they feel coz the power delivery is so different to the single turbos. Deceptive, but mostly in a nice way