Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Performance Exhaust - not too loud

Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2002, 08:59 AM
scoobyexhausts
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Listen guys, i have already warned you about comercial advertising in this forum. http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=130655

registering a new name does not change that position.

[Edited by johnfelstead - 10/8/2002 8:36:01 PM]
Old 07 October 2002, 08:27 AM
rb5_336
Scooby Regular

Smile

Hi all,

Am interested in replacing the stabdard exhaust on my car for something that will perform better.

Was very interested in Blitz Nur Spec, but think its really going to be too loud.

Need under 98db for track days, dont want to p*ss neighbours off at 6 in the morning, and do a lot of motorway miles. So if the Blits is too loud (can anyone confirm) I need to look at an alternative, that does offer genuine performance gains, even with standard downpipe still fitted.

Any suggestions..hopefully backup up with genuine perf gains
Old 07 October 2002, 10:04 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

If you're keeping the standard DP, there's not a of difference between the different backboxes - the DP is the main restriction so the BB can't help much. Likewise, the noise level is never going to be too high with the original DP, so you shouldn't neeed to worry too much!
Typically, the noisier the more free-flowing. In order of 'increasing noise', from the ones I know I'd go (IMO) Remus, Prodrive, TSL, HKS Drager, Hayward & Scott, HKS Hiper & Blitz thingy.
Remus is as quite as the original, just gives a deeper noise & slightly better breathing.
Prodrive one (PPP) is probably the best compromise, as people have mentioned that it works well with the catted DP (what it was designed for) whereas most of the rest are for designed for a full-decat system.
Above that, I think they only make sense with decatted DP.
All IMHO, of course
Old 07 October 2002, 10:16 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A quiet combo would be anything but an HKS downpipe (tend to be a little noisier) coupled to a magnex resonated centre and something like a "quiet" Hayward and Scott or Scoobysport backbox.

The resonated centre makes a big difference, and the hand-made Hayward and Scott systems come in varying levels of noise.

Prodrive is quite restrictive and generally to be avoided if you are looking at serious performance any time in the future.

I run a SS dp and "quiet" backbox with standard centre, which is fine for motorway journeys, my 2 year old daughter sleeps no problem.

Paul
Old 08 October 2002, 04:43 AM
WRX CC
Scooby Newbie

Pavlo,
I am very interested in having an exhaust configuration as yours (SS downpipe, strandart mid section with resonator,SS backbox(quiet or standart?)), but how much is the difference in terms of noise between the "quiet" SS and the standart one (db,%,etc.)? has anyone compared them? Is the loss of power too high?

Thanks

Chris
Old 08 October 2002, 06:05 AM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

Listen guy's , try following a Ferrari F355 , F360 etc in the traffic and tell me you don't the car load . It sounds as if its gonna blow up , soooo beautiful . I can't believe those exhausts are legal . I can confirm that when you drive a car with a better flowing exhaust it changes any idea you had when starting out ie sound versus performance . And , I personally feel the tail pipe is the main db counter . It may not look as good but keeping it the same size as the underbody pipe helps get max power without extra sound for no reason . The rear oulet pipe effectively amplifies your exhaust sound .

What ever you do don't let fear rule too much , enjoy it in stages , then it aint such a blow to the body all at once . You won't worry about the neigbours for long ....

Ray
Old 08 October 2002, 06:14 AM
raybotha
Scooby Regular

Lee , an alternative may be ,
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/msgofast/coldair.html
His site does not include sketches for the Sti7 yet but he will e-mail you same day with such . A very knowlageable chap and only too willing too help . Explains how to get the car to breath without loosing the standard airbox .

Ray
Old 08 October 2002, 09:32 AM
Pavlo
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a sales opertunity never missed!

There you go straight from the horses mouth.

I find the quiet exhaust actually quite quiet, due to more wadding packed in I think. But if a exhuast manufacturer other than magnex would like to make a resonated centre for a Legacy, i would probably buy it tomorrow, hint hint.

Paul
Old 08 October 2002, 06:04 PM
madou
Scooby Regular

raybotha

Ferrari use a silencer bypass at higher revs, this is how they meet drive by noise legislation
Old 08 October 2002, 09:57 PM
Brian 1947
Scooby Regular

Pavlo, if your downpipe has the primary cat removed, how do you get along at MOT time ?
Thanks
Brian
Old 09 October 2002, 09:27 PM
Suresh
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Also didn't want to aggravate my neighbours with loud early morning departures, as they are pretty cool.

Went for Supersprint downpipe with the rest of the exaust as standard. Only had it fitted for 30 mins before I had the car (MY99) it Ecutek 3'd, but did notice much quicker turbo spoolup. This translates to performance gains through more responsiveness.

Engine burble now slightly more pronounced, which is a good thing.

Good luck

Suresh
Old 09 October 2002, 10:54 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

A good source for info on exhaust noise is this post I found on i-club:

http://forums.i-club.com/forums/etc etc

Noticeably quietest of the ones they tested is the MRT (Australian), although note that is still with the OE downpipe. The prodrive one is also impressive on that list considering up and downpipe change. For various legal type reasons, the aussies seem to do a good line in moderating sound and emmissions.

The exhaust not mentioned on there which by all accounts is also very quiet is the APS sports cat system. Think I'm about to order one for my bugeye - give me a few weeks and I'll comment.