Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exhaust Wrap - Does it work ?

Search this Thread

Old 27 September 2002, 11:10 AM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Right, just had a Mongoose full system, including down pipe, fitted to my MY94 STI 1, and I'm very happy. Pickup is improved, and you can just about hear the turbo spooling up and down, which is cool. One thing I have noticed though, is the heat coming off the downpipe is significant, and I'm concerned about the amount of heat the brake reservoir is exposed to.

One option is to wrap the downpipe in exhaust wrap, to contain more of the heat inside the exhaust - I'm hoping to be able to do it with the downpipe in place, so it's a DIY job, but wondered if there was anything I should be considering, i.e. is this a good idea ?

Old 27 September 2002, 03:11 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

bttt - no one ?
Old 27 September 2002, 03:39 PM
Turbo_Steve
Scooby Regular

Pure conjecture here....but doesn't brake fluid get really really really hot anyway? Admittedly in the caliper rather than the resevoir, but I would guess that an air temperature of 40 or 50 degrees C around the resevoir isn't going to make much difference compared to the hundreds of degrees the fluid reaches at the caliper?

Like I said...complete and pure conjecture.
Old 27 September 2002, 03:43 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Steve - You maybe right, but with the amount of heat coming off the exhaust now, I was not only concerned for the brake fluid, but also for any air being sucked in by the intake system. It defintely seems hotter in the engine bay now I'm fully de-catted - I've not checked the heatshield yet, probably as I'm none too sure where exactly it is !

Dig out the PDF manuals again.... Any more comments ?
Old 27 September 2002, 07:09 PM
7 Foot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Hayward & Scott are fitting a de-cat downpipe to mine next weekend.
I know they are not too experienced at FITTING Impreza exhausts.

Should they put the heat shield back on?
How will the car be if they don't?
What about lagging/wrapping?

Help!! (Penelope Pitstop voice)
Old 29 September 2002, 01:23 AM
harvey
Former Sponsor

The exhaust wrap will contain a lot of the heat in the down pipe and prevent it escaping to the engine bay and surroundings. Its effectiveness is quite impressive. I have used two types. One is white woven in appearance and is easier to fit in situ but the most effective I have found is a brownish colour and needs wetting on application and to make a really good neat job is best applied with the pipe off. Use plenty tie wire.
By keeping the gas hot it should flow better which has to be a good thing.
Old 29 September 2002, 05:43 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Talking

Agree with Harvey. I wrapped my Scoobysport d/p with the brown, put on wet stuff before fitting and it does work - you could almost touch the pipe! I also used the dedicated spray paint that's recommended. You will get LOTS of smoke and terrible pong for quite a while until it "burns in" Another advantage is that it helps to retain heat within the exhaust itself which helps to keep the centre cat (if retained)at a working temp. (Important at MOT time!)
JohnD
Old 29 September 2002, 05:50 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, think I'll give the white stuff a go, given it took the garage 4 hours to get the old downpipe off, I'd rather not go through that again ! Just have to figure out what I need to remove to get to it.

Ah yes, the cats - well, I did have one, and flew through the emissions, now I've gone fully de-catted, it should be interesting to see whats changed ! Interesting thing is, with the cats gone, you can hear the turbo spooling up and down, lurvely noise.

Once again, thanks to all for the feedback.