What do you think of it?
Lag, power, reability, etc.

Regards
Old 20 September 2002, 01:57 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no experience of them myself.

they look nice and make some bold claims, but I reckon the same can be achieved for less money by playing around with hybridding garret covers on to ihi turbos etc.

I would rather speak to someone specifically about my needs and have a custom turbo done to suit me, that way you get individuality, and the knowledge that it is being tailor produced to your driving style.

Its also cheaper.

My last three turbos have come like this from mark aigin, he has just set up business as lateral performance, try mark@lateralperformace.co.uk (am I allowed to say that here if it isnt my company? not sure Mr. Felstead, delete if necessary)
Old 20 September 2002, 02:34 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Hi Scooby

If you need any help please let me know, I can put you on to people who have the SR30 and 40 and who are all very happy with them.

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
Old 20 September 2002, 02:51 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Jamie - you may want to try persuading APS to start coming out with the same sort of information that other companies do rather than using their own measurement system, which obviously they can make up anything they like with; APS turbos may be fantastic, but until they agree to the fact that the TD04 is capable of producing more than 250bhp (as they claim on their graphs), it's difficult to take them seriously about any of the claims about their own turbos.
On the plus side, these are - in a way - hybrid already, to cover a typical spread of users' requirements specifically for the scoob. Which can't be a bad thing.
Although a 'personal' hybrid still makes more sense imo...
Old 20 September 2002, 03:04 PM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Agree with Nom.
The "humble" TD04 is sometimes overlooked to extract power from by the attraction of larger, laggier turbos or hybrids.
I'm running mine with a TD04 at present and it hits 272bhp from a UK car.
Soon to upgrade to the VF28 though since I think this is as far as the TD04 will go.
Old 20 September 2002, 03:20 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Fair enough I'll get some details if I can.

If Scoobywhite would like some info on the APS SR30 turbo, I am probably the man to speak to, if not, then no problem.

Don't want to turn this into another Jamie verses the world threads, so I am not comercially posting any information up here, as some people don't like it and of course it isn't right to do so when you have an interest in a company is it?

Scooby, see if you can do a search on 355bhp in a UK car and get in contact with Mike, he drives a UK MY99 with APS SR40, FMIC, HFA, BOV and a decat exhaust and reached 355BHP last month with standard internals and no other mods! A bit of an eye opener really, considering the fact he spent a relatively small ammount of money for huge gains. He will vouch for how well the car drives with the new turbo.

There are a few others who might not want mentioning on here, but I'll get in touch with them for you if you like.

I also have one fitted to my STi UK, but Im waiting for it to be mapped, you are welcome to ask me about it off thread too.

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com

Old 20 September 2002, 03:25 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

"Jamie verses the world threads" - nope, definately don't want another of those; blimey did that drag on

Would have all been sorted if APS came up with the info, though
Old 20 September 2002, 03:25 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

jamie,

355bhp with no real power mods except a fmic and that turbo?

that is bloody impressive. no mapping? no boost increase? no fuel controllers?

just wondered if you had checked the fuelling on that car, cos surely it was either seriously rich on boost before or is seriously lean on boost now or perhaps both.

either way, the numbers are certainly worth of pride.
Old 20 September 2002, 03:27 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Unichip with boost mapping 20psi dropping to 17 @ 6,500 rpm , with 11.5 – 11.8 A/F ratio, 6-8 degrees of timing advance has been added to the standard curve below 3,000 rpm, tapering back to the standard curve by 4,000 rpm. no other mods whatsoever.

[Edited by Jamie Whitfield - 9/20/2002 3:32:52 PM]