Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

will a faulty maf or 02 sensor cause an engine light?

Search this Thread

Old 07 September 2002, 07:35 PM
UkLegacyT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just wondering, car is jerky (see other post), and just wondered that if these were faulty they would show an engine light.

i have no warning light showing.

thanks
ian
Old 08 September 2002, 11:33 AM
Trout...
Scooby Regular

Steve,

I had a faulty MAF circuit - there was a still a signal to the ECU - but it was wrong - car ran like a dog but no CEL. I suspect the same could be true of the Lambda sensor.

When you think about it - that is how things like the Unichip work - they 'corrupt' certain signals - in a controlled way to fool the ECU into doing something different!

Trout
Old 08 September 2002, 11:50 AM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

An o2 sensor can become 'lazey' or slow so it gives off wrong readings but not enough to cause a fault...

I was reading that if you have a blown head gasket e.t.c this can damage the o2 sensor due to the ingredients of antifreeze and coolant, also if you have had high oil consumption e.t.c this can damage the sensor..

It can be damaged by silicon and also, read below:

What will damage my O2 sensor?

Home or professional auto repairs that have used silicone gasket sealer that is not specifically labeled "Oxygen sensor safe", "Sensor safe", or something similar, if used in an area that is connected to the crankcase. This includes valve covers, oil pan, or nearly any other gasket or seal that controls engine oil. Leaded fuel will ruin the O2 sensor in a short time. If a car is running rich over a long period, the sensor may become plugged up or even destroyed. Just shorting out the sensor output wire will not usually hurt the sensor. This simply grounds the output voltage to zero. Once the wiring is repaired, the circuit operates normally. Undercoating, antifreeze or oil on the *outside* surface of the sensor can kill it. See how does an Oxygen sensor work.

from here:

http://www.mr2.com/TEXT/O2_Sensor.html

Dan