TMIC vs FMIC

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2002, 09:36 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok, usual subjective title from me

Now on the hunt for an upgrade, since the original top mount has a hole in it!

Do I go for an uprated top mount or bite the bullet and get a front mount ?
Bearing in mind, I like my bumper the way it is and don't really want to chop it up to get a FM to fit in.

Is there really a lot of gain switching locations, or would an upgraded TM and spray be enough for an MY00 running about 1.3bar boost.

I'm also looking to upgrade the Turbo at some point also, but not sure when this is likely to be (6months and over probably), so is the top mount the way to go in the interim ?

Advice greatly appreciated

[Edited by Devil's Refugee - 8/26/2002 9:37:03 AM]
Old 26 August 2002, 01:44 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

You can still have an un-cut front bumper if you use a PACE kit, no cutting at all

Some on here have said that PACE are not as good as some of the other FMIC available...all I will say is I have a PACE which works very well with my standard turbo running 1.3

I have recently fitted a temp probe into the throttle body and now 'see' that this baby is doing what it should!!!

I do like the look of the 'in yer face' kits but my car is supposed to be a subtle mod mobil!

Cant comment on top mounts but did read a while ago about the APS and some others giving good results on 350bhp cars

There was a thread a little while ago where a front mount with a standard turbo was dissed out of the water! I think the main reason was lag due to the lack of flow and higher temps of the standard turbo....all I can say is I have a TD04 with a FMIC and it works very well on the road

I am not saying that it would not work 'better' with a bigger/better turbo...I am just saying it works for me!
Old 26 August 2002, 07:24 PM
rayman
Scooby Regular

hi moles dad how much difference did the fmic make ?

Old 26 August 2002, 07:43 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

How much difference did the front mount make?

The front mount doesnt give an increase in bhp or torque as such, what it does do is allow lower charge temps and more stable at that.

I should really go for a bigger/better flowing turbo, but as funds dont allow at present I'm having to 'suffer' with the TD04

Before the FMIC my car (PPP with catted dp) made 243bhp on rr, After a full de-cat, induction, FMIC and a boost controller at 1.1 it made 275bhp.

Now I am running 1.3 and water spray (if that has any effect), and am hoping to get the magic 300bhp come October on the rollers

What has happened is the temperature during our brief summer has been kept down, therefore keeping a safety margin versus a heat-soaked top mount!

When the damp cold evenings come it is like a thing posessed
Old 27 August 2002, 08:21 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi,

I'm running a full decat system, Tek3, ITG filter on a standard TD04L turbo and ran 272bhp at Star last weekend with an uprated top mount (not mine, I still have the standard IC, hence the discussion here).
Now thinking of going for a VF28 turbo with another intercooler, so looking for some advice.
If you're saying that figures of 350 can be coped with just an uprated top mount, then I guess that's the way I'll go.
APS was the make I was looking at from Jamie W.
Old 27 August 2002, 10:21 AM
nom
Scooby Senior

Trout has/had a TMIC & was getting, oooh, 346 I think?
I've just changed to an APS TMIC (my oem one was flown in to by one too many mutant bees) & was very suprised at the amount of difference it made. A very good investment! I have no complicated & clever ways of measuring the difference, but the buttometer is very happy, knock occurs less (was getting the usual 1-2 degs now more frequently 0) while the boost appears higher - so I'm guessing that there is more cooling & better flow. Like there meant to be
Old 27 August 2002, 10:36 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Nom,

Thanks for this, just about to order the APS from Jamie along with other bits now.

Old 27 August 2002, 07:54 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

DR, looks like youve made the decision then