Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anyone here have one?
Is it very noisy?
What about power and torque?
Old 19 August 2002, 02:14 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Jamie has one on his car. His Dyno results are damn impressive to0 considering that his car is not heavily modded (just APS stuff).
Old 19 August 2002, 10:44 PM
Rollerskate01
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Excellent, this exhaust has grown on me. Interesting to see the new APS cast iron flange connection to the turbo.

This will produce a cel 420 on the 01/02 cars.
Old 20 August 2002, 11:45 AM
bugwaan
Scooby Regular

Wink

I have one
I had APS install a unichip together with a rear muffler in Jan 2002. (MY01-model)
It has transformed the car completely.
Sure, when you first hear the car it has a great burble to it..Actually makes the original seem very quiet. However, its not too noisy and it gives the car the character that it needs. At cruising speeds you can barely here it and as its just the rear muffler, it isnt as loud as a full exhaust system.
I actually got a letter from the EPA requesting the vehicle be tested for excessive noise. I had it tested and 90 decibels is the maximum. My rex came in at 85db...well under the legal limit.
Go for it....
BUT...speak to APS guys...There apparently is no benefit (apart from the noise) if you dont also get the chip to go with it.
Remember..computers are dumb..so it cannot tell if you have replaced your exhaust unless you tell it
And thats where you r gonna need a unichip.
Serious...its amazing
B4 chip...90kw at wheels
After chip & muffler.....118kw at wheels.
Goes like stink...I love it
Old 20 August 2002, 04:58 PM
Rodan
Scooby Newbie

I purchased the APS turbo-back exhaust and I love it. My tuner www.cobbtuning.com is an APS partner. My mods are as follows Cobb tuned unichip, modifed stock intake with a K&N filter, and Samco IC hose. I am spinning 221AWDHP and 220lb-ft of torque. APS makes a good product and the partnership with Cobb Tuning is match made in heaven.
Old 20 August 2002, 06:49 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Hi

As Katana says I have the full turbo back high output exhaust on my car, and I love it. It is possibly the most thought out and best quality item I've come across IMHO! Also the sound is very hard edged and sporty at high revs but very quiet in traffic and on motorway journeys, partly due to the cast downpipe neck and sports cat.

Autospeed.com did an article on a WRX which found the exhaust needs to be used in conjunction with the Unichip or remap, but this definitely isn't the case on classic scoobs or the STi UK/7s.

I am yet to get power figures on this system, but I swapped it from a Blitz NUR spec with one decat which helped the car reach 301bhp on John Noble's rollers, but now the car feels even more lively and seeing as the downpipe is in place with a sports cat, I estimate power to be around 315bhp with the help of my Blitz ID Power meter and the seat of my pants!

The full kit is going on the car in the next week or so, we have been held back a little due to work and the fact that whenever I get the kit together someone buys it!

Yes I am biased but I firmly believe in the APS products and consider them the best IMHO!

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
Old 20 August 2002, 08:05 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Question

Jamie / all

I'm confused. Some of the posts seem to suggest this exhaust doesn't make much difference without a chip/remap? If not, why not? IIRC scoobysport full de-cat exhaust claims allegedly 251bhp on a MY01/02, and don't see why APS should not be similar (ish). I know you'll get more benefit with a remap, but surely it must help without?

Also, has the high flow cat got the same benefit for turbo spool up as a de-cat? Many decats claim about 500rpm earlier to come on boost, is this exhaust similar?

you can hardly hear it at cruising speed
Care to define cruising speed (on private roads if you like )? I'm assuming with a cat and resonator it is much quieter than e.g. scoobysport?

I'm curious as I think this is probably the exhaust I want for my (euro import) MY02 once warranty has expired. I want more and wider spread of power, a bit more noise when booting it, but still quiet at sub 90mph speeds and a sports car for no de-cat emmissions issues. And from the pictures it looks a great system.

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Phil

Edited to say I'm considering the full turbo back system including flange, not just the backbox.

[Edited by hades - 8/20/2002 8:08:38 PM]
Old 20 August 2002, 08:16 PM
Rodan
Scooby Newbie

Well, the Stock ECU has away of working around modifications plus it is not robust as a unichip where you can make changes to A/F ratios at all throttle positions.
Old 20 August 2002, 08:19 PM
V5-APS
Scooby Regular

Can't say about the MY01/02 cars, but had an APS on my STi5.
Gave an extra 19bhp on the same day before and after plots!!
Turbo sppoled up quicker and made more of a turbo whine, along with more noise from the dump valve.
Old 20 August 2002, 08:28 PM
Rodan
Scooby Newbie

My opinion if you're looking for more power an ECU should be the 1st mod.
Old 20 August 2002, 09:41 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Autospeed.com were the people making these claims, stating that the MY01's ECU doesn't understand what is happening and puts itself into a retarded setting because it thinks the engine is in danger, a kind of creap home mode. Something like that anyway I can't quite remember, for a more detailed explanation goto:

http://www.autospeed.com/A_1054/page1.html

Basically I have never found this to be the case, good gains have been had on all the systems, although a remap certainly brings the mods to their full potential.

The APS exhaust is quieter than the Scoobysport exhaust and doesn't give the boomy in cabin noise associated with most full after market systems.

BTW - IMHO it is important or prudent to get all mods in place before a remap or ECU as it saves the need for a repeat session costing £££'s.

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
Old 21 August 2002, 12:29 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers - very useful article.

A thought: looking at the article, I wonder if there were issues with the rear O2 sensor convincing the engine the cats weren't at full efficiency? I gather this often happens with a full de-cat - hence scoobysport's OBDII box exists. With the APS I guess this should be less issue than most other exhausts as you do have a cat before the rear O2 sensor, unlike with a full de-cat. May be wrong, but it's a thought.

Have convinced myself I'll have to get one (and an ECUTEK once it's available for MY02). Only thing is whether I'll have the patience to wait till next June when warranty expires!

Jamie - will be seeing you sometime within the next 10 months

Phil
Old 21 August 2002, 07:29 AM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Phil - I look forward to it!

BTW - No CEL since fitting due to the sports cat.

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com