Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Most quiet back box

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2002, 11:43 AM
fubar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got a MY99 which I have recently fully decatted by fitting a complete turbo back scoobysport system.
I want to keep the de-cat components, but feel that the back-box is too noisy for my liking.
SO....

Which backbox is most quiet without being too restrictive.
Opinions on:
Magnex
Prodrive
Power Engineering
Scoobysport (quiet version)
Any others??

Might be willing to swap mine if anyone is interested. Are all these systems compatible with my scoobysport de-cat centre section?

Cheers,
Ian.
Old 19 August 2002, 11:55 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Most people on here tend to say the Prodrive BB is the quietest BB along with Remus. However, they also describe them as restrictive. I myself have a Magnex 3.5" backbox, which i think makes all the right noises. I don't think it's gonna be much quiter than yours though. I have however just enquired about the d/p and mid section so i think i could be noisey soon!
Old 19 August 2002, 12:19 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I've got a Remus which you can give a go if you want (try before you buy ). It is more restrictive that the real straight-through ones, but that comes with the lack of noise can't have it both ways! But unless you like bouncing off the rev-limiter, I'm not convinced you'd really notice the difference.
Should be passing through Missenden at the weekend so Amersham not too far off my route & am traveling around with the Remus in the boot at the moment...
Old 19 August 2002, 12:23 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Used to have a Remus too, and it was very quiet, but about just as restrictive as the standard BB. So I would guess the Prodrive one would be a better choice.

Old 19 August 2002, 01:49 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Didn't think it was anywhere near as bad as the oem one! I had a PPP & Remus at the same time & tried swapping from one to the other - the buttometer didn't notice the difference - an RR might have, but who cares?
Due to a bit of a delivery whoopsie I ended up with the Remus fitted when I changed my manifold - didn't notice the rev-limiter approaching rapidly with the Remus on, so I've taken the opinion that though it may be more restrictive than some BBs, unless you have a non-standard manifold the restriction is academic.
Just IMHO, obviously
Old 19 August 2002, 03:34 PM
fubar
Scooby Regular

Isn't the majority of the restriction in the cats anyway?

If I've removed both of those, how much restriction is caused by backbox compared to the other components?

nom: what style of tailpipe has the remus got?
How much do they cost?

Old 19 August 2002, 06:30 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

nom, ok, I'll grant you a bit less restrictive than the OEM one. But when I changed from the Remus (already had Supersprint down & mid) to a Scoobysport, I can assure you that the butt-o-meter as well as the RR's noticed a difference (and no, it wasn't just the sound)

Fubar (fubar ? my gearbox is fubar-d LOL), sure, the cats will be the biggest restriction, no doubt about that.

I had the double round 90 mm stuff BTW.

Trending Topics

Old 19 August 2002, 07:01 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

Oh yes - restrictive compared to the Scoobysport! And a tad quieter Depends how much racket you want to put up with (or enjoy, depending on your point of view ). Best solution is definately change the manifold - loud as you like but without the drone
Anyhoo... mine's a twin pipe too (bigger than the pea-shooter) - I think there's a photo about somewhere... Gavin where are you (or your website ) hmm no images...
Send me a mail if you're interested in giving it a go - I'm happy to swap them over so you can give it a go!
Old 19 August 2002, 10:26 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Cool

To aid nom's marketing techniques

This is what my car looked like eons ago (ok, March 2000) with the Remus:

PS: pics were taken because of Wax Wizard treatment
Old 20 August 2002, 12:00 AM
ktm1974
Scooby Regular

Talking

fubar i have a almost new scorpion back box that i want to sell/swap because it is too quiet, if you are interested mail me.

paul