Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Any one running an My01 with a full decat but No PPP

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2002, 09:50 AM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car is going in for its first service on Saturday and i am itching for more power. I have already lost one Cat, and added a TSL back box but am thinking of having the downpipe decatted as well.

Any one any experience with this?

I will eventually go for the PPP but i would like to see what it is like just decatted first.

Cheers Guys (And Ladies)
Ali

Old 10 July 2002, 01:11 PM
AliWrx
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jza.

I have just been on to the phone to my dealer who can get me a down pipe but not for a couple of weeks. They will also fit the PPP as well without any warranty issues as they run one of there demonstraters with a full decat and PPP.

Best not name them if they ain't supposed to do it!
Old 10 July 2002, 03:47 PM
BugEyed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ali

Yes, I have run a full de-cat without the PPP. It runs fine (no flat spot that I could find), and sounds superb (fortunatly the neighbours are both deaf - or at least they are now). I'm now running more boost (with a fix to stop fueling problems) as well and it seems faster than my friends PPP'd car. However, as my car was an import it only had a one year warranty anyway.

I've had a few problems with the uppipe gaskets - currently OK (fingers crossed) - see my and D T-S's (same problems on a New Age STi) posts on the subject. The uppipe swap was well worth while in performance terms, and should be done if you are running a PPP with a de-cat. Pete Croney found the ECU running towards the limits of its knock retard capability, and some of our "Cousins" have suffered failure of the uppipe cat wrecking the turbo.

Duncan
Old 10 July 2002, 08:44 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Me.

No up pipe though. Runs great, sounds great.
Old 12 July 2002, 01:09 PM
DT
Scooby Regular

Me I had the full decat incl, up-pipe. Which was an improvement. I think bhp goes up to about 240. Now had it Unichipped for more power.
Old 12 July 2002, 01:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had a MY01 I would completely decat it and run a fuel cut lifter and Dawes. With the money I saved I would fit a big turbo.
Old 12 July 2002, 02:32 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

I have driven an MY01 in all states of Decat, one piece at a time up to and including Full Decat, up-pipe + PPP.

I would say that once you go full decat, it is a bit laggy at the bottom end (off boost) but it is worth it for the extra you get once on boost.

Matt
Old 12 July 2002, 03:00 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It needs to be remapped if it feels laggy with a downpipe IMHO as it should feel better.
Old 13 July 2002, 09:51 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

My MY01 has a Scoobysport DP, centre and backbox - very impressed. The car now has 18K miles on the clock and the engine has loosened up considerably (all you new STI owners (Matt ) are going to have to wait a while to get the best from the cars, because I reckon the new Scoobs are even tighter than the old ones!).

The car feels great now - quick enough for what I want. I have to say I haven't experienced a flat spot or felt that the car was 'laggy' at low revs. All turbo charged cars will have some lag before the turbo cuts in, but it doesn't seem to be a problem on mine.

The sound is very nice (louder than you first think - I'm sure my neighbours appreciate it ) and I have had comments from some passengers thinking the car has a PPP fitted.

Recommended

Chris

[Edited by Chris L - 7/13/2002 9:51:41 AM]
Old 07 October 2002, 12:24 PM
Jza
Scooby Regular

I dont have it done on mine (just PPP )

Lots of people love the full decat (plus CEL fix).... great improvement over standard exhaust !!!

I believe you'll find a rather large flat spot low down in the rev range if you get it done.... but you are going to gain a fair whack up top. Pays your money i guess....

Get the up-pipe done at the same time!!!!!!

Just remember that the torque curve moves upwards through the rev range and relate that to the way you drive and you'll find it a great improvement according to most!!!

Buy a PPP and get the best of both worlds - and keep your warrenty!!

Jza

Edited to say PS They wont fit the PPP if the cars been modded AT ALL!!

[Edited by Jza - 7/10/2002 12:28:05 PM]