Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

More piccys

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2002, 07:13 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are some more pics. I am lifting ( and insulating )my manifold, to allow straight entry to the TD05, aka, Andy F style.
I am using 20mm nylon to raise it, and the newer style PAS pump.
I am also fitting MY00 STI 440cc injectors to the manifold. I had typed a write up with the carious pics, but accidently clicked it off, and lost it. I couldnt be bothered typing it all in again, so just figure the oics out for yourselves.

My DIY Up-pipe, since absolutely nobody in the UK was able to supply me one this weekend. . I know its rough, and it will probably melt, but I dont care. I butchered the original, and re welded with a bit of old exhaust ( courtesy of a cossie downpipe ) Also opened out the holes in the flanges to nearly match the gasket, and matched the turbo inlet also. It should last until some of the 'experts' actually get some made. Hopefully sometime this year...

[Edited by ustolemyname??stevieturbo - 7/8/2002 2:32:44 AM]
Old 07 July 2002, 07:34 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice

Are you using two inlet gaskets with the spacer??

Do you think the nylon will stop some of the heat transfer??

David
Old 07 July 2002, 08:50 PM
Scooby Regular

2 gaskets, and loads of top quality sealer.. ( double glazing silicone ) Nylon was the handiest material I could get, and it will insulate against heat transfer. WHile not exactly the same, similar material is commonly used on carburetor cars, to prevent heat soak into the carburetor, and so heating the fuel.
The only problem I can think of, is it migh melt, but the temps where it is positioned, should never really get that high.
Old 07 July 2002, 11:45 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

I take my hat off to you sir.

Very interested to see the outcome, good luck.

MD.
Old 08 July 2002, 02:31 AM
Scooby Regular

I ended up just using the reservoir of the new pump, as the pipe fitting to the rack was different. I will need to re-route this when I do actually go for the straight inlet mod. The pumps are the same, with a different fluid reservoir. However, when swapping, there is a long bolt at the rear of the pump that need shortenend, as the base of the bottle fouls on it, and will not seal properly. It will let all the fluid that you carefully poured into the bottle, not spilling any, and poured more, all over your nice new clean engine, floor etc etc... Not that this happened to me of course...
Also fitting a 3" twin dump downpipe ( replacing my own 2.5" DIY jobbie )that came of a friends car when he bought it, but didnt like it. Have to say, it is a piece of ****. When fitted ( if you could call it that ), it was about 2mm away from the steering joint. The flange wasnt flat, and it near enough hit the gearbox when tightening the bolts. Angle grinder and welder to the rescue..and a big hammer of course.
I have a funny feeling its a mongoose, coz its all slide fit joints, which I hate. Im welding flanges onto it, so I can unbolt it easier.
Old 08 July 2002, 09:20 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
StevieUs...

I saw a nice mod yesterday at donnington, the ps pump res. had been remotely mounted and the pump left where it was, if thats an option to consider??

David
Old 08 July 2002, 07:34 PM
mrp
Scooby Regular

You are a brave man, I'd be panicking a lot if I saw my engine in that many pieces!. Good luck with the mod, hope it all goes well.

Martin
Old 08 July 2002, 09:20 PM
Scooby Regular

The new model impreza has a PAS pump, with a remote reservoir too.