Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Am I being Tricked ?

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2002, 04:05 PM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

My car recently ran very low on boost after a proper run (blasting it a bit). I changed the oil filter (as it was leaking) and spark plugs, plus the oil and my boost was back to normal and all was well until about a week ago i gave it some stick again and the boost will now not go over 0.2 (usual can run about 1.0 bar)of a bar. I took it to the only garage on the isle of man (were i live) that deals with subaru's (imports, mine's a 1995 WRX) and he is known for trying things on with people (bit dodgy). He is telling me that i have basically blown my pistons etc.. and need a full engine rebuild, which will basically cost like well over £2000, does this sound right as i am lacking a little in tech knowledge, please someone out there tell me if this sounds like the problem and price.
Old 02 July 2002, 04:17 PM
IanWatson
Scooby Regular

Micheal,
Does the car run rough or is it simply a lack of boost? If it's running OK then I'd deffo go for a second opinion before letting someone start messing around.

Some generic pointers if the integrity of the engine is in question..

Have a look at the dipstick, give it a sniff, also have a look inside the coolant expansion tank - if your engine is in a v bad way then it's likely that water/steam has mixed with the oil either through a crack in the block/head or via the gasket.

If a piston ring has gone, then some of the exhaust gas will get past the piston ring, increasing the pressure in the oil system.
Can also make the oil smell burnt.

Check the exhaust - if water is getting into the combustion chamber then there'll be loads of white 'smoke' coming out of the exhaust. If there's oil getting in, then the smoke will be blue.

Should be some help! Let us know what happens!

best of luck,
ian
Old 02 July 2002, 04:18 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Question

is the car running well off boost? ie below 3000rpm, no knocking, smoke etc???? if all is well i reckon IMHO its overboost triggering safemode with the ecu, so u cant boost... with all the oil changes have u cleaned the boost solenoid? try this first, u will DEFO know if a piston is fooked

Cheers
Old 02 July 2002, 04:57 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

If the engine sounds normal, and there's no excessive smoke (blue = oil, white = water black = fuel) from the tailpipe, I'd get another opinion.

You could remove the ECU's boost control, and run a hose directly from the turbo outlet, to the actuator (the brassy bell-looking thingamajig on the turbo), it should (iirc) boost somewhere around .5 bar now.

If it does that with the solenoid disconnected, and .2 with it connected I'd say it's the boost control that's acting up.

If it's still just getting .2 I'd say the turbo - or the actuator is shot.

Try this and get back to us.

/J
Old 02 July 2002, 05:24 PM
wrxrob
Scooby Regular

how did this guy get to this assumption did he do a compression test or oil pressure test seams a bit strange to quote a fault with out investigation .
Old 03 July 2002, 11:24 AM
BruceWarne
Scooby Regular

AFAIK the boost control solenoid can only increase boost (above the wastegate actuator setting). It cannot decrease boost to below this (wastegate setting, 0.5 bar or there arounds) level.

Am I missing something?
Old 03 July 2002, 12:02 PM
SecretAgentMan
Scooby Regular

...hmmm...Uve got a point there - my bad.

It sounds like the actuator/turbo then. It'd be easy to sort a few questions out just by running the actuator directly on the turbo outlet.

The actuator itself should be easily checked just by pulling the rod a wee bit...if it's still "springy" and fairly heavy, it should be alright, if the membrane is shot in the actuator it'd boost like mad, instead of not boosting at all as it does now?

A little input from the owner would help alot.

/J
Old 03 July 2002, 01:23 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Split turbo to intercooler hose, or intercooler to throttle...if engine runs OK

Richard
Old 04 July 2002, 03:40 PM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

sorry i cannot give much detail, but the garage has not given me the car back yt, after basically telling him i am not paying thousands for a re build he for some strange reason is looking into the problem again (hhhmmmmm). When i get the car back i will try what you guys have suggested. To verify things, there is no smoke out of the exhaust and the engine does not sound rough either.
Old 04 July 2002, 05:39 PM
fivepint
Scooby Regular

Angry

I would ask him for the car back, if hes that dodgy god only knows what he'll tamper with, no smoke or off boost running probs to me (in my limited knowledge) do not suggest a rebuild, and may be something as simple as a spit hose...

this guy is a chancer!!!

Cheers
Old 04 July 2002, 07:07 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Have you considered he maybe removing a spark plug with a hammer and long screwdriver in his back pocket....with a view to creating the damage he mentioned.....sorry.

Richard
Old 14 July 2002, 12:28 PM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

Angry

The plot thickes. After being told to buy a new exhaust system for it by the garage, i did. I bought a Full HKS Hiper muffler (turbo back) and now it is back firing like mad (which i like) but also it is very judery and starts coffing/spluttering when i try to accelerate, what could be the problem as the garage mad is still up for a full engine rebuild ?
Old 14 July 2002, 12:39 PM
ChristianR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that sounds like overboost?
Old 14 July 2002, 03:07 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Wink

Get your car on the boat to the UK and get it properly inspected! I don't trust any garages over here with my scoob.

The cost of a Ferry ticket and a journey to a 'respectable' garage could save you £KKK's

p.s. With this garage being the 'only' one to deal with subaru's gives them a big leverage over car owners to try things on.

[Edited by STI MAN - 7/14/2002 3:09:46 PM]
Old 14 July 2002, 03:47 PM
Rocket
Scooby Newbie

Michael

Townend Garage (http://www.townendgarage.co.uk/) are less than 20 minutes from the Heysham ferry terminal. It might be worth giving the owner Stuart Newby a phone call to discuss your problems

STI MAN

Are you by any chance the guy I spoke to on Corkills forecourt the other week about the upgraded brakes om my 22b

Ron
Old 14 July 2002, 03:55 PM
STI MAN
Scooby Regular

Nope, sorry Rocket, not me, but I can occasionally be seen at that garage. Shame they havent got Optimax there yet!
Old 14 July 2002, 10:59 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Hi michael, hold your horses!!!!!!!!
I am 99% sure of your problem, if you read the SIDC FAQ it will answer all your questions!!!
The reason that the car is only producing low boost and juddering is because you have just had an oil change, you will find that you have slightly overfilled the oil and this blocks your boost solenoid.... i had EXACTLY the same problem after an oil change!!!! you may have to drain off a little bit of oil and then you will have to clean the boost solenoid out!!!!!!!!
Do your self a favour.. get your car back off matey..... check oil level and drain slightly.... take pipes off boost solenoid and clean with brake cleaner!!!!!
THEN enjoy the fact that nothing is wrong with your car!!!!!!!!!
Rob
Old 14 July 2002, 11:04 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

As stated 'it sounds like overboost' this is because the solenoid is telling the ecu that it is overboosting (blocked by the oil) and drops the boost level to safe mode...
i dont know how to do links but read this...
http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm#3.2
This will explain everything you need...

God i'm good
Old 14 July 2002, 11:56 PM
JamieMacdonald
Scooby Regular

Link for Rob!

J
Old 15 July 2002, 09:23 AM
Michael Robinson
Scooby Regular

Angry

Cheers, that does sound close to the problem, but mine is not because of the boost level, it judders and missfires with little boost, i think it could be the engine ! any idea's ?
Old 15 July 2002, 03:11 PM
tweenierob
Scooby Regular

Yep OVERBOOST, over boost is just a title it doesnt necessarily mean that you are running high boost, you will get fuel cut as the car thinks it is overboosting....
Rob.
p.s. cheers for the link jay,
Old 15 July 2002, 04:29 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

If it's juddering and back firing could it not be the MAF?

If it's properly knackered you will get very little boost, lots of hesitation, backfiring etc........