Notices
Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Continuous Turbo Lag - advice needed please

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2002, 12:51 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the last two weeks I have been experiencing a continuous Turbo Lag problem (for want of a better description). The car is constantly pulling against acceleration at lower speeds. When accelerating used to be smooth it is now juddery and hesitant.

Turbo lag was the first thing to spring to mind, but previous experiences of that usually corrected itself after 5 minutes of driving. I now think there is something more of a problem here as it is happening all the time now.

Given that I don't drive very far at any one time 16 miles a day max which isn't good, and most of that you're lucky to get out of first gear, could this be the problem.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
P
Old 02 July 2002, 01:50 PM
GavinP
Scooby Regular

Question

Heat soak for the intercooler ?

Thanks

Gavin
Old 02 July 2002, 01:59 PM
Little Miss WRX

You may find more useful answers in one of the technical forums than here.

Also, maybe taking your car out for a long blast may help you identify exactly what the symptoms are and enable you to see if they stay when the car is fully warmed up.
Old 02 July 2002, 02:05 PM
Orwella
Scooby Regular

Maybe a dodgy batch of fuel or clogged air filter/intake.
Old 02 July 2002, 02:10 PM
Little Miss WRX

The dodgy batch of fuel may be a factor.

When my car was being repaired, it still had the same tank of fuel as when it went in (was in for a long time too ).

The first run I did in it when I got it back was disappointing, it ran like a dog. But after two fresh tankfuls, it was sweet again

How often do you fill up?
Old 02 July 2002, 03:29 PM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

We've done the long blast thing once up to speed she's fine, it's just getting her there, and I don't want to do it too often incase there truely is a real problem which would be compounded by hard acceleration.

It's not the fuel I use Optimax, and it's not an engine cut out or dip in power that would suggest a blockage, it's the air intake through the scoop. It feels like if you are trying to walk straight into a 90mph wind - best description I can give.

P
Old 02 July 2002, 06:25 PM
nom
Scooby Senior

I think have a poke around the intercooler/inlet manifold area & make sure no hoses have split or have come loose. Sounds to me as though the engine is being 'strangled' (happened to me on one of those Alfa GTV turbo thingies after coming back from being 'serviced' - they hadn't done the inlet hose up correctly so most of the boost was cleaning the engine rather than going into it! Anyway, felt how I think you're trying to describe).
Old 02 July 2002, 07:23 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

What my do you have - any check engine light? Sounds like you need a session on DeltaDash or Select Monitor to see what's happening. MAF sensor output will tell you if it's not getting enough air.

Be careful - there could be a lot worse things going on.....

Richard
Old 04 July 2002, 11:23 AM
Black Cat
Scooby Regular

Richard
You weren't parked in Woking a couple of weeks ago by any chance? There was a Swiss reg scoob parked outside one of the pub/b&b places (white or silver) about 2 / 3 weeks ago.

Thanks to both of you above I will check out what you have both recommended on the weekend it could be a loose connection somewhere.

Check Engine light is okay and still comes on - no problem there, it's 99 WRX - however I am now have a bit of hiccup when starting her up - it doesn't immediately fire, also an intermitant problem.

Thanks
Penni
Old 04 July 2002, 12:14 PM
dowser
Scooby Senior

Not me - but I was born there many years ago

Richard
Old 04 July 2002, 12:51 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Penni, agree with Richard, you better have it checked by someone who knows what they are doing ... if it *is* the MAF going dodgy, the last thing you want to do is high speed runs to see if it goes away IMHO.

It could be just carbon buildup from the many short/cold/slow runs, but I wouldn't gamble.