Hatch STi clutch bite point low

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2021, 09:04 AM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hatch STi clutch bite point low

Hi all,

I recently replaced the clutch and flywheel on my 2009 Hatch STi (6 speed), I also changed the fork and pin as decided to do everything while in there. All went well and it drives ok. But the bite point is noticeably lower than the old clutch (about 1/3 of the travel from the floor) and has a very narrow bite point.

The old clutch wasn't massively worn, I replaced it because I had to remove the gearbox to reseal the oil separator plate. Decided while in there I'd just stick a new clutch and flywheel on. Replacement is standard Subaru branded Exedy clutch kit from ICP. I have read you can adjust the pedal but I’m not exactly sure what this adjusts and how to do it.

Thanks in advance. Rob
Old 17 June 2021, 10:53 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Old 17 June 2021, 11:54 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by FuZzBoM
Hi all,

I recently replaced the clutch and flywheel on my 2009 Hatch STi (6 speed), I also changed the fork and pin as decided to do everything while in there. All went well and it drives ok. But the bite point is noticeably lower than the old clutch (about 1/3 of the travel from the floor) and has a very narrow bite point.

The old clutch wasn't massively worn, I replaced it because I had to remove the gearbox to reseal the oil separator plate. Decided while in there I'd just stick a new clutch and flywheel on. Replacement is standard Subaru branded Exedy clutch kit from ICP. I have read you can adjust the pedal but I’m not exactly sure what this adjusts and how to do it.

Thanks in advance. Rob
I would leave it alone for a while and see does it bed in but it does'nt sound far away to me you would'nt want the bite point any higher.
Old 17 June 2021, 01:09 PM
FuZzBoM
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don - Very useful info! Thank you

Joe – I should have said, I done the clutch about a month ago and had same thought about it bedding in. Has probably done 500 or so miles now. Maybe it is ok.. Just feels very close to the floor and bite to disengaged is a really small amount of travel. Makes gear changes a bit jerky. (nothing to do with my clutch control lol)

So, I just went and tried to adjust with guide supplied by Don. Also looked at a few YouTube videos. Clutch pedal rests ever so slightly higher than the brake pedal, probably less than 1cm. I loosened the upper switch as It looked like it wasn’t getting full resting travel and the pushrod wasn’t coming out as far as it should. Winding that back I found it was minimal. Probably less than 1mm of extra travel. So, I loosened the pushrod bolt to see if I could adjust that and I found the rod wouldn’t spin… I didn’t want to force it so nipped the locking nut back up. Should that be easy to spin or will I need to use pliers? Thanks again.
Old 17 June 2021, 01:30 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

The pedal is supposed to be about 10mm above the brake pedal so in an emergency you don't clip the brake when going for it. The travel sounds about right as for the harshness it might just take a bit of getting used to. They can be a little hard to turn and you should also have the slightest bit of slack at the top of the travel.