Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

A few questions for you people in the know

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2002, 08:11 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

So i've had the Dawes on for a while now (2 months) and there are no problems at all

I recently took the car down to Cornwall and again, no problems

Now i've read a few threads and gotten some info from john the Dawes meister and this is my predicament:

On the motorway, whilst "playing" with a gorgeous Porsche turbo and a TVR Tuscan, when i floored it the scoob shot forward like a beast possesed up to about.......well lets say 5,000 revs in 5th and then hit fuel cut
Tried it again and the boost gauge was only showing 15psi when it happened again
Normally it would show 16 psi no problems.
The only thing that i can think it is, is that normally the scoob only has me in it. On this occasion it had me, Ame (No she's not fat ) and the car was quite heavy with camping stuff, suitcases etc.
Would this increased weight cause the engine to work much harder and as such bring the fuel cut in earlier?
Since i've been back from Cornwall and "normal service resumed, all has been well
I find that if i try to turn up the dawes to 17 psi, it just cuts I also have to drive like a bit of a girl if two of me mates are in the car with me (When set at 15psi) because it seems that the heavier the car, the sooner fuel cut is hit
Can i sort it? or shall i just bin it?

Next thing, an opportunity to acquire a "cheap " K&N 57i induction kit has arisen If i stick this on (I'm after the noise, not power) will i have to faff around with the Dawes again?

Any Input, more than welcome

Mikey
MY00, Full Decat,ITG,Dawes (Set at 16psi cos his mates are not due for a lift anywhere )
Old 13 June 2002, 08:41 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Mikey,

Somebody who is far more qualified than me....ie somebody who has a dawes will be able to help but in the mean time I'll offer this idea.

I've been reading the Dawes threads (I'm getting one) and they say to set the Dawes up on a long straight uphill road if you can find one. Where did you set your up? I presume that as you're going up hill the engine is under load and this makes the setting up more reliable.....just my guess.

If you set yours up differently this may offer some explanation.

Cheers

Guy

*waits to be shot down in flames *
Old 13 June 2002, 08:50 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hiya dude,

I set it up on a piece of dual carriageway that is quite steep and about 2 mile long. I recon that because there is only me in the car when i set it up, it affects the strain and therefore boost level generated by the engine.

I have been in a scoob that was towing (Not a caravan ) and it was showing 10-11psi in second gear

I reckon that the only way to reliably set it up in my case is to get 3 mates in the car and do the dual carriageway. Problem then though would be that when it's just me in the car, i'd not see any gains above standard

Tuning Sucks (When it doesn't goto plan )

Any other suggestions dudes?

Mikey
Old 13 June 2002, 09:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lower atmospheric pressure gives you a lower absolute fuel cut but the same relative fuel cut. This in addition to higher load could cause your predicament. Lower the boost until it just doesn't fuel cut and then remove a further half turn. If it fuel cuts again remove another half turn. Eventually it won't fuel cut. Easy if you are not greedy If you are fit a fuel cut lifter and set up carefully.
Old 13 June 2002, 09:37 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Talking

I always knew there was a reason for the folk in Cornwall being like they are..........Lower atmospheric pressure lol

Cheers John

Mikey
Old 13 June 2002, 09:46 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

dawes is still basically a primitive bleed valve. Subarus just dont hold steady boost with bleed valves in my experience. An electronic boost controller is a far better device, and will allow close running to the boost cut limit, without hitting it. If you do happen to get a slight increase in boost due to weather conditions etc, it can be altered in a split second from in car.
Old 13 June 2002, 10:05 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dude, i got a girlfriend to support, can't afford electronic thingies to cut and splice into me harnesses AND Ame

Thanks for the suggestion though

Mikey
Old 13 June 2002, 10:17 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just borrow my ecu, when i first fitted my dawes & cleverly left my bleed valve in the equation as well, it was hitting 22psi & no cut!!! Didnt take long for me to turn it down though.

Now run @ 17-18psi with no probs in any weather/hill/load etc.
Would love 22 again it went like a ****, but daren't, i like my engine too much.
Cannot find a FCD of any type, it has a phase 1 upgrade though, whether its done as part of that i dunno??