2011 STi centre diff problem

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2017, 04:08 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 STi centre diff problem

Hi,

A friend of mine has a 2011 Sti, completely standard and seems to run perfectly, but has an issue with the centre diff control.

When you turn on the ignition you can select whichever diff mode you like, but after a couple of hundred meters the 5 'steps' on the diff display start flashing as if the diff has gone into error, and you cannot select anything else.

Switching off the car and switching it back on again seems to clear the fault, but then the same thing happens again.

I have checked for engine ECU fault codes and there are no P codes stored,

What's the next step to work out what's not happy? No other lights are on, on the dash. Car appears to work perfectly apart from this.

Any help appreciated!
Old 24 January 2017, 06:15 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

DCCD ECU needs to be interrogated

https://youtu.be/kJ9-HNBUBc4
Old 24 January 2017, 07:44 AM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

Thanks, I found this video and got no codes fault codes stored.

However....this was after switching the ignition on (which essentially cleared the fault anyway).

The car behaves for a few hundred meters, then goes into error no matter what diff setting you have selected. Again, no other lights on the dash at all

Tricky to know where to start on this one!
Old 24 January 2017, 09:14 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Robbied

However....this was after switching the ignition on (which essentially cleared the fault anyway).

The car behaves for a few hundred meters, then goes into error no matter what diff setting you have selected. Again, no other lights on the dash at all

Typical faults seem to be steering position sensor or gearbox neutral switch.
Old 24 January 2017, 10:56 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by Beastie
DCCD ECU needs to be interrogated

https://youtu.be/kJ9-HNBUBc4
Originally Posted by Robbied

Items to look into..............

Old 24 January 2017, 05:55 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

I'll check the wiring isnt damaged as it goes down to the gearbox to start with. And if not then It sounds like im into one of the above issues,

From much reading and researching what I can, it looks like if the steering angle isn't re-set, (or faulty) this might throw it into error. I guess if the alignment has been done at some point, or the wheels have been curbed perhaps its sitting too far off centre one way or another.

Want to get to the bottom of this but it might take some time!
Old 24 January 2017, 08:32 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

I had a very similar problem to this on a hatch STI a few years ago,eventually I traced the fault back to the sterio,it had a pioneer sat nav unit fitted and the wiring/module to make the steering wheel controls compatible with the sterio/sat nav was wrong causing the fault.
Old 22 February 2017, 07:41 PM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

Not got any further with this as life has been getting in the way, but it does seem like the error occurs whenever the systems tries to apply current to the DCCD unit.

You can drive the car for quite a while with the diff in Auto or Open, but as soon as it tries to apply some locking it goes into error.....
Old 08 March 2017, 11:33 AM
Robbied
Scooby Regular

Had the car at a dealer this morning to try and pull out any fault codes from the DCCD unit. (as I now own the car i thought I better look into the problem )

There were no codes stored and everything seems to read as it should, including the steering angle senor and foot brake/handbrake inputs.

The only thing to note is the rear tyres are getting low, relative to the fronts so I guess the rolling circumference is now slightly different from axle to axle. There must be a tolerance to allow for this but i dont know how much wear the systems allows

all very annoying!