Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Exedy Pink Clutch kit experiences

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2014, 04:47 PM
korgua
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Exedy Pink Clutch kit experiences

Back in February 2014 I needed a replacement clutch – still running the original clutch on 60,000 miles.

This could be considered an exhaustive read but I hope it helps forum users in the way other users articles have helped me

I decided on a Exedy Pink clutch kit and a Competition Clutch flywheel 2-671-ST

Fitting went well and reassuringly the gearbox oil was both clean and no deposits on the magnetic plug. New Castrol Universal 75/90 was used.

The driving experienced was hugely improved with the exception of one fact. At the time I could only describe it as a rattle on deceleration. Now I can correctly reference this as resonance on overrun in 2/3/4 gears between 4000 and 2000rpm. It was annoying enough not to be ignored.

Recommendations were to leave it and see if it got better or just live with it.

Some days I could ignore it and others not – depended on how much deceleration was needed in a journey. Unfortunately even an Impreza needs to lose some speed on occasions.

Independently of this problem, and several months later, new Group N engine mounts and gearbox mounts were fitted.

This did not result in additional noise, vibration or harshness other than amplifying the resonance on overrun in 2/3/4 gears between 4000 and 2000rpm.

The amplified resonance was enough to think something really is not right and even if it was damped out with a softer mount, it had the potential to cause some damage.

The gearbox oil was drained out – the magnetic plug was like a hedgehog. The gearbox was stripped down and the washer on the 3/4th gear had broken up inside the box.

Many options were explored and it was decided to get a 2nd hand box – later model year but the same JDM ratios.

The replacement gearbox was fitted along with the Exedy clutch. Again, new Castrol Universal 75/90 was used.

Incorrectly, it was thought was that gearbox was the cause of the resonance on overrun in 2/3/4 gears between 4000 and 2000rpm. A test drive revealed the very same resonance on overrun in 2/3/4 gears between 4000 and 2000rpm. Despair and huge disappointment.

Approaching Competition Clutch and Exedy technical teams for advice it was suggested this was a gearbox issue and / or incorrect fitment. Exedy added that the clutch plate should not be re-used as it was contaminated and there was evidence of copper ease having been used (absolutely not the case).

Pushing back a bit and stating this resonance occurred immediately after fitting the Exedy clutch and Competition Clutch flywheel, the garage and I explored possible reasons. Competition Clutch engaged with the garage and talked through some options. Competition Clutch confirmed from a photo inspection there was a small amount of contamination on the friction plate but this would not cause the resonance problems we had experienced since the original fitment. Furthermore there was no reason why the Exedy clutch could not be refitted.

All along there has been no judder or slippage – this eliminates a lot of possible issues and with the problem only on deceleration this narrows the root cause of the problem right down.

Exedy were confident this was not a problem with their clutch kit, that this was not an issue they had come across before and were still insisting contamination as a result of poor fitting were to blame. They could not come up with a practical option on how to move forward. It has been proved since that neither contamination nor poor fitting were to blame.
I am extremely fortunate to live close to an excellent garage. They consistently get it right – the perfect blend of quality, professionalism, understanding, flexibility, patience and dedication.

The garage investigated several forums, which revealed this resonance was evident in similar setups. It is no better explained than by David at API Impreza:

https://www.scoobynet.com/958572-pro...-clutch-2.html

The 'cement mixer ' noise as described when coasting or overrun is called Clutch Thrash and is the torque springs in the friction disc doing their job. It is very annoying and can happen no matter which flywheel you have. We have seen and heard it on all types of cars and installations.

It is a noise that will eventually settle down or you become less sensitive to it. The problem for us fitters is that a different clutch may make more noise or the same at a different frequency.

We now use "Comp Clutch" which are definitely sharp in operation until bedded in and that can be 5 or 600 miles. BUT, I have never heard clutch thrash from one yet. All of our [sometimes very sceptical] customers, that have commented on the sharpness and judder, have agreed that it does bed in well and then they don't even notice the clutch at all, even in city driving.

I have no axe to grind with Exedy, they are a well-known worldwide brand, but as far as fitting garages are concerned, we rarely get paid by either the supplier [ or the customer ] if one needs to get changed under guarantee. So, as we don't like working for nothing, we changed brands.

After reading this article and forwarding it on to Exedy it is not clear how Exedy can tell me the issue I explained to them was strange and something they were not familiar with.

Competition Clutch offered two options – replacement friction plate or replacement clutch kit. I decided to get a replacement clutch kit Part number 21059-2100 as something practical had to be done and new clutch components appeared to be the sensible way forward. A good discount was offered.

Exedy were very keen to point out that the Competition Clutch is the same as theirs, that Exedy have the patent and other manufacturers cannot reproduce these items.

What Exedy did not point out was that there are some key differences in the construction of the Competition Clutch friction plate. Gaps, springs and other pieces are all noticeably different. It was these differences that gave us confidence we were on the right track with the Competition Clutch clutch kit.

The new Competition Clutch kit was fitted by the same garage that had installed the Exedy kit, in exactly the same way as before, and I can report that the resonance has completely disappeared. Pedal feel and bite are perfect. Even though people report the Competition clutch may need to bed in to be perfect I can confirm that it does not need to feel or sound any better than it currently does. Even with the Group N engine and gearbox mounts installed there is minimal noise.

The euphoria of this success led me to call Exedy and share the good news. My technical case had been escalated to someone more senior. It was explained to me that the resonance problems I had previously experienced were a result of the initial fitment (not the case). Exedy say they have no problem with this clutch kit if it is fitted correctly (it was fitted correctly). When I explained the clutch had the resonance issue with two gearboxes, in their mind this seemed to cement the fact that an Exedy product was not the cause of the problem. Exedy cannot explain how contamination can cause resonance but ZERO judder or slippage.

Even after reading the API Impreza article Exedy maintain the resonance issue is not familiar to them and finished the conversation saying:
“Exedy will offer no goodwill as we do not subsidise shoddy workmanship”

“When your Competition Clutch fails in 3 months…..”

Exedy confirmed at the time they made these statements that they treat every one of their customers the same way.

Even in warranty period Exedy would not have offered assistance with this problem.

All said and done I am so happy that the problem has been resolved to our satisfaction. I am sure there are lots of happy Exedy customers out there. The reason for taking the time to write this article is to forewarn people that there is a real possibility you can have an issue with an Exedy clutch kit. With the exception of Exedy we can all see the problem we experienced all along was a result of the Exedy clutch kit.

It does not matter how confident or certain you are, Exedy will look to blame it on someone else or something else.

If you are unlucky and you find you have to call Exedy for support then this is the service you can expect. Ultimately I knew no one was going to pay for any of this. However I would expect a big manufacturer to have the professionalism, expertise and desire to help us. Their default position was not to accept responsibility and to make cheap statements. This is both hugely disappointing and insulting.
Old 16 November 2014, 04:58 PM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

at last a post explaining the exact same problem as me, however mine only makes the noise in 4th and 5th 2000-4000rpm on deceleration, if you so much as touch the clutch pedal during the noise it goes leading me to believe its the springs vibrating, i know one thing after reading your superb review, my next clutch will not so long as i have a hole in my **** be exceedy i am on my third gearbox same problem everytime, so now i know it's the clutch. the last gearbox was removed from a 71000mile car that drove perfect, now it's in mine it's noisy again

Last edited by madscoob; 16 November 2014 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08 December 2014, 05:47 PM
scooby uk
Scooby Regular

I've got exactly the same issue accept mine was fine until I had a engine swap my mechanic said it sounds like a gearbox issue but I had a feeling it was the clutch gut instinct is a good thing I should use it a bit more anyway I'm so glad I found this thread saved me some big bux top man
Old 08 December 2014, 06:24 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Comp clutch it is then.
Old 08 December 2014, 06:42 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Very interesting reading. Nice write up! Thank you.
Old 08 December 2014, 07:08 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I run a Comp Clutch Stage 2 friction plate, considerably lightened/skimmed OEM flywheel and an OEM release bearing. All supplied/fitted by API.

No issues whatsoever - and running 384/349 through it too.

When this plate wears out, will not hesitate to get the same.

Last edited by joz8968; 08 December 2014 at 07:10 PM.
Old 30 December 2014, 11:24 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Exedy were very keen to point out that the Competition Clutch is the same as theirs, that Exedy have the patent and other manufacturers cannot reproduce these items.

What Exedy did not point out was that there are some key differences in the construction of the Competition Clutch friction plate. Gaps, springs and other pieces are all noticeably different. It was these differences that gave us confidence we were on the right track with the Competition Clutch clutch kit.
Unquote

So not the same then !!!

Tossers, seems like a comment from a junior who has yet to learn the trade.

The only comment we ever get from many satisfied customers is that the bite on a Comp Clutch is quite sharp until it beds in, which depending upon your driving circumstances, is rarely less than 300 mile and fixed by 800 miles.
Obviously town work rather than motorway work makes a deal of difference to the bed in process.

Many many satisfied customers from APi use the Comp Clutch, we are still fitting them regularly as they seem to work for all applications and power levels.
The internet sold, nasty copies will eventually ruin the name of Exedy, which is a shame as they do have a good product. It just doesn't suit a Subaru very well at the moment. IN MY OPINION.

David

Last edited by APIDavid; 30 December 2014 at 11:26 AM.
Old 30 December 2014, 11:53 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 133 Likes on 97 Posts

I had the same problem with my excedy clutch.
Excellent write up.
Old 30 December 2014, 06:48 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

nice and interesting article, and good to have input from someone as respected in the subaru scene as david from api. will certainly be looking elsewhere than excedy come clutch time.
Old 30 December 2014, 06:53 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I'll be heading for a comp clutch, just as soon as I melt my pink box good and proper.
Old 30 December 2014, 07:12 PM
BBB3
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a the same problem, will be replacing the clutch next month.

I'm not 100% what to put in :/
Old 05 January 2015, 05:22 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Exedy are far too complacent lately and warranty/aftersales shocking.

It's the pink box clutches that seem to have issues.

Competition Clutches are decent, a little more expensive but not by much.

Aztec Performance Online - Competition Clutch 5 Speed
Aztec Performance Online - Competition Clutch 6 Speed

Kept in stock for next day delivery.
Old 07 January 2015, 10:55 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer

Originally Posted by Aztec Performance Ltd
Exedy are far too complacent lately and warranty/aftersales shocking.

It's the pink box clutches that seem to have issues.

Competition Clutches are decent, a little more expensive but not by much.

Aztec Performance Online - Competition Clutch 5 Speed
Aztec Performance Online - Competition Clutch 6 Speed

Kept in stock for next day delivery.
Well that is a turnaround from the usual AZTEC complete unblinking support for Exedy. What happened? Fallen out ? Or what ?
Old 07 January 2015, 10:56 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
nice and interesting article, and good to have input from someone as respected in the subaru scene as david from api. will certainly be looking elsewhere than excedy come clutch time.
Thanks for the recommendation.

We have been Comp Clutch dealers for around 5 years now. and can supply overnight - or fit at short notice if you need.

David
Old 07 January 2015, 11:11 AM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Just tell it as it is. Exedy been a good product and company to deal with since we started in 2007 and I've used the products on my car since 2001.

They used to deal with things quickly and efficiently, now they just bury their heads in the sand sadly.

Still the largest clutch manufacturer around (and I think that forms part of the complacency), blue box clutches work great, problems creeping in with some Impreza pink box clutches, always been a pain on Evo's.

Uprated clutches is a competitive market and there are always evolving products out there.

Happy to be stocking both Exedy and Competition Clutch to offer customers an informed choice.