Fitting a turbo - advice neded!

Search this Thread

Old 31 May 2002, 12:21 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! More power required urgently

I have a new hybrid turbo to fit to my UK00. I can't get it professionally done for a week or two and am tempted to have a go with a mate, before a gentle cruise up North for the Spin Doctor to work his black magic on my ECU with a Tek2/3 remap.

Is this a straightfoward mechanical job, or should I leave it to the experts?

I guess it's just a matter of unplugging all the pipework, screwing the new beauty on, observing the oil change and cranking procedure to prime it, and then away we go.

Are there any complications or tips I should know about?

I also need to know torque settings and checks. Any help/warnings gratefully received.

Thanks,

Richard.
Old 31 May 2002, 01:15 AM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

The hardest part is really getting the downpipe off. Depending on how old your car is this can be a real mare! You're pretty much right about it being a bolt off bolt on job but the nuts on the downpipe can really fiddly to get off. The hardest one will probably be the one on the bottom which, if you don't have a ramp, can give you a few cramps. Chances if one of them comes off pretty easy then the others are likley to be ok. The just disconnect all the pipe making sure not to **** oil all over the place. Worth getting a new gasket between the turbo and the downpipe. After that bung the new one in, torque everything back up and then realize that you've been hunched over the car too long cos your back will creak when you try to stand up straight again!
Old 31 May 2002, 01:23 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Cheers, NK

Torque settings anyone?

Thanks

Richard.
Old 31 May 2002, 01:24 AM
NutterKam
Scooby Regular

Blimey! Someone else still up at this hour! It's the only time I get to look at stuff I want to!
Old 31 May 2002, 08:59 AM
Gareth Allan
Scooby Regular

tip for refitting:

there is a oil pipe below the turbo, which is a hassle to go back on, UNLESS you put a tywrap or bit of string on the spring clip to hold it open, then cut it once installed.

Gareth
Old 31 May 2002, 06:22 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

just put the clip on the lower bit of the oil return at the block. Do not put a clip on the upper turbo end, and refitting, and subsequent removal will be a lot easier. The metal oil return pipe sleeves down inside the rubber pipe, and will not leak unless the pipe actually got completely blocked. The clip is not really necessary at the top.
Old 31 May 2002, 07:32 PM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Thanks for this, guys, and to JB and Mark (R19KET) for your e-mails. But now I'm all set to get stuck in, my mate has decided to go away for the weekend, selfish b@stard Hey, ho. Patience, patience...
Old 31 May 2002, 09:47 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy

I'd love to give you a hand but my services have been reserved already to repair a Nissan Micra!!!! AAARRRGGHHHH what was I thinking of when I agreed to that.

I'd allow 5 hours for a DP swap if it's your first time plus a bit more for the turbo removal and refit. Drench all the bolts in WD40 (although I didn't) and make sure you have plenty of different types of spanners for those awkward places

F