Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Stage 4 competition clutch, compared to pink box

Search this Thread

Old 15 April 2014, 01:11 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 4 competition clutch, compared to pink box

I'll be having a 6 speed installed in my classic in the next couple of weeks, so time for clutch shopping. I was considering a pink box but that seems to have a 400 bhp limit, and I do intend spending some time at Santa Pod once I up the power a bit.

How are the comp clutches? It will still remain a car used on the road quite a bit but I will be asking quite a bit from it.

It will be used with a skimmed standard flywheel for now as budget has been blown.
Old 15 April 2014, 02:07 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Exedy pink box clutch,Act clutch organic,or Helix sprung paddle clutch I have driven with all these clutch's on 400+ bhp cars and all performed well.SJ.
Old 15 April 2014, 03:19 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Cookie: 5 Speed Exedy Racing Organic (aka Pink) is good for 400bhp, 6 speed is larger and good for about 10% more.

All my drag racing was done on nothing but Exedy Racing Organic clutches.

Would be nice for Competition Clutch users to also chime in as there isn't an awful lot of information about them on SN from what I can see.

Old 15 April 2014, 04:25 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Thanks, it would be nice to hear from those with experience of the competition clutches to.

There's only about €100 difference in the two so would be great to know if it's worth the extra, and also what they are like to live with.
Old 17 April 2014, 06:42 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Any other opinions about the stage 4 guys?
Old 17 April 2014, 11:48 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is running comp clutch stage 4, ive not really driven it far as no tax or test yet but pulling on the trailer and a lap round the village with trade plates on seems ok, its a bit harsh but im hoping it will ease off as it beds in, its mated with a freshly skimmed stock flywheel.
All in all i can live with it on a daily basis and it will handle 500hp so happy days....
Old 19 April 2014, 07:34 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazney101
Mine is running comp clutch stage 4, ive not really driven it far as no tax or test yet but pulling on the trailer and a lap round the village with trade plates on seems ok, its a bit harsh but im hoping it will ease off as it beds in, its mated with a freshly skimmed stock flywheel.
All in all i can live with it on a daily basis and it will handle 500hp so happy days....
That's good to know, I was considering having my flywheel lightened, but am now thinking of just skimming to.
Old 19 April 2014, 07:59 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by gazney101
I am exactly the same but on a classic with a 5 speed. One thing I got to say is that it is NOT suited for driving on the roads lol. Especially with the skimmed flywheel the biting point is much higher and you pretty much need to launch it to get it going. It would be perfect for Santa Pod but if you still want to drive your car about on the roads I do not recommend it. I was a bit deluded and believed that because it can handle 500hp it's perfect for my 340hp setup if i ever want more it has actually made me use my classic for track purposes only.

Tip: The company name is not a gimmick it is the real deal.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Old 19 April 2014, 08:29 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subaru Collector 555
I am exactly the same but on a classic with a 5 speed. One thing I got to say is that it is NOT suited for driving on the roads lol. Especially with the skimmed flywheel the biting point is much higher and you pretty much need to launch it to get it going. It would be perfect for Santa Pod but if you still want to drive your car about on the roads I do not recommend it. I was a bit deluded and believed that because it can handle 500hp it's perfect for my 340hp setup if i ever want more it has actually made me use my classic for track purposes only.

Tip: The company name is not a gimmick it is the real deal.

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

Ok, how does it compare to a twin plate clutch? If you know. I had one of those before and felt like you to start but got used to it fairly quickly.
Old 19 April 2014, 08:37 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Ok, how does it compare to a twin plate clutch? If you know. I had one of those before and felt like you to start but got used to it fairly quickly.
Sorry couldn't help you there mate I have never experienced a twin plate clutch. Although I have heard that the twin plate can be a bit of a hassle in traffic jams, etc. I think it would take quite a bit of time to get used but I guess you could get used to it and they are a great piece of kit for what there intended for. I would let you take my scooby out if it wasn't in bits getting repaired .

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.

Last edited by User 21721; 19 April 2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 19 April 2014, 08:43 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Ok mate, thanks. I'm leaning toward to the comp clutch as it's no longer going to be my daily driver anyway.
Old 19 April 2014, 09:08 PM
User 21721
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Ok mate, thanks. I'm leaning toward to the comp clutch as it's no longer going to be my daily driver anyway.
No worries

Regards,

Subaru Collector 555.
Old 24 April 2014, 12:53 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cookie, We ran the Comp clutch 6 puck ceremetallic in Danny Clark's Drag car at 654 hp. Never did anything except launch and get battered to death. It never missed a beat.

Extremely good value and the 4 puck takes even more power.
Be careful of the Exedy's not all are genuine. Chinese copies are very convincing until you use them.

David APi
Old 28 April 2014, 12:46 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by APIDavid
Cookie, We ran the Comp clutch 6 puck ceremetallic in Danny Clark's Drag car at 654 hp. Never did anything except launch and get battered to death. It never missed a beat.

Be careful of the Exedy's not all are genuine. Chinese copies are very convincing until you use them.

David APi
Thanks David, I'll be in touch soon to order.
Old 28 April 2014, 06:39 PM
TH3_5T1G
Scooby Regular

Location: Somewhere halfway between heaven and hell, some call it earth!

Originally Posted by APIDavid

David APi
David, what torque/power would you expect the stage 2 and then the stage 4 competition clutch to hold?

Seen them on your site and they have very tempting prices when comparing to other clutches in this ball park
Old 29 April 2014, 10:27 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TH3_5T1G
David, what torque/power would you expect the stage 2 and then the stage 4 competition clutch to hold?

Seen them on your site and they have very tempting prices when comparing to other clutches in this ball park

I think they are published on the Comp clutch web pages, i haven't been there in ages. To be frank, the UK web Comp Clutch site is a bit of a dogs dinner as it is a simple cut and paste from the US one. With a whole bunch of stuff on there that isn't relevant.

Try to locate the US web site, it has a whole load more info.

Looking at what I have on file which is over a year old:

5 speed types. 230 mm friction disc
Stage 2 organic + 88% over standard
Stage 4 6 pad ceremetallic + 250%
Stage 5 4 pad ceremetallic + 300%
Organic Press type + 250% This seems a bit unlikely, we don't fit many.
Ceramic press type + 250%
Multi plate with flywheel 1200hp

6 Speed have the same strength increase claims, but obviously use a 240 mm friction disc so there is probably a better performance due to size

As a base line we run stage 2 at up to 440 hp on 5 speeds and 460 on 6 speeds. AND they take it all day long.

They are a trace 'sharp ' until they bed in and depending upon how you drive that could take anywhere from 300 miles to 600 miles. If you do long journeys in 5th / 6th it'll take for ever, if you drive round town a lot less.

Once bedded in though they behave like stock with just a bit moire springy feel to the pedal. No need for a servo assisted leg to press the pedal.

Good luck, Call if I can help more, David
Old 29 April 2014, 12:28 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive done 130 miles on my stage 4 6puk up to now and its defo getting easier to work with, im also finding when it warms up its not as juddery
Im very pleased with it so far
Old 29 April 2014, 01:37 PM
white noise
Scooby Regular

**Edited due to commercial content**

Please contact advertise@scoobynet.com for details of advertising opportunities on Scoobynet.

Last edited by DJ Dunk; 29 April 2014 at 02:08 PM.