Double CV boot failure???

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2014, 01:25 PM
4evernewbie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Double CV boot failure???

Hi girls and guys. Got a bit of a headscratcher here
I got my car back from the garage less than a week ago, part of the work was for an MOT with permission to whatever work was required to make it pass. I wasn't expecting there to be much so a CV boot being needed I can understand.
So I noticed some grease on my driver side wheel today (not easily noticed on black wheels) so as I have the week off I whipped both front wheels off to find grease everywhere in both front arches! So drivers side is held on by a zip tie which is TIGHT on the hub, not on the outer CV boot. No damage can be seen on the boot or anywhere on the passenger side boot which is held on by metal banding and is still in place.
I rung up the garage but the main guy isn't there today and no one else can tell me which boot they changed.
So the question is, if the passenger side one was changed - is it normal to pack it full of grease and leave the excess hanging round or does it sound like it has come out of the boot?
If the drivers side was changed - is a zip tie the likely failure point? Should I just get the metal band (and probably the correct tool to tighten too) and redo it myself?
I don't usually like getting involved with stuff like this so please forgive my total lack of clue.
And to top it off my Polished Bliss order arrived today with one of the cleaning solutions leaking destroying the entire order FFS
Many thanks, sorry for it being so wordy,
Paul.