Notices
Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries Need to ask a specific question of a dealer or third party supplier, then do it here.

Cheam Motors...BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 03 October 2007, 11:43 AM
MY06WRXboy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheam Motors...BEWARE

Here's a story...

My MY06 WRX went to Cheam Motors for it 30k service a couple of days ago instead of to its usual dealership of Walldonway (for reasons I won't go in to).

When I got the car back, it didn't feel right. The accelerator pedal felt sticky (very strange as there is no cable) and the car wasn't driving particularly well. I phoned Cheam motors yesterday and they said they would take a look at it but that they would need it for the whole day and that they wouldn't be able to have the car until next week. This was just going to prove too inconvenient. So, a quick phonecall to Walldonway's Service Manager, Bruce was in order. He said I could pop the car in that afternoon (i.e. yesterday), which I did. They sorted out the throttle and reset the ECU.

Whilst the car was in I asked Walldonway to check the car over. When they moved the car they noticed oil on the floor. Once on the ramp, it was clear where it was coming from - the sump - and it had blown back over the undertray as well. The technician, Anthony, realised that the nut on the sump was not done up properly. In fact it was hardly done up at all.

Needless to say I was disgusted that Cheam Motors had failed to do something so basic as to tighten the oil sump nut! Thankfully, there was still plenty of oil left in the sump. I don't particularly want to think of what could have happened to my pride and joy had all the oil slipped out.....

Walldonway obviously sorted this whilst the car was in and cleaned off all of the oil that was on the undertray. To top it all off, they didn't charge me a penny for doing this, or resetting the ECU or dealing with my throttle query!!!

Additionally, Cheam Motors tried to sell me some kind of emissions test for my car for £60, saying that it would help keep my cars emissions as low as possible and claiming it would be good for the environment. They said that it's something they do for all the cars that come in for service (although they never mentioned it when I booked the car in) and that they "had to mention it to me before proceeding with the work", i.e. before taking my money! Clearly they were going for the startled rabbit in the headlights effect and thought I would bow to the sales pressure.

Once I knew about the oil issue, I phoned David at Cheam Motors (the service Manager) and explained the issue and he did apologise...but there was no compensatory offer made (not that I expect one...I just won't take my car back there again!)

Excellent customer service from Walldonway who clearly look after their customers . Very poor service from Cheam Motors
Old 03 October 2007, 11:49 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Cheam were pretty good with me when I was there for my 1k first oil change. Hoping I dont get what you got when I go in for the 10k

Not good at all mate, would expect some sort of gesture tbh. Not the sort of thing you should have to just accept. If you HAD lost the oil and it had ceased, would they have accepted liability?

Thank heavens for sticky throttles.
Old 03 October 2007, 12:31 PM
WRX Blues
Scooby Regular

Well - that's made my mind up - I bought my car from Cheam and it went there for it's first service. Whilst I didn't have any problems it was fairly pricey! Now that I don't have warranty issues it will be going to my tried and trusted local garage! I DID getted mugged by the emissions pitch - they got me at the end of the day and I just wanted to get out
Old 03 October 2007, 12:44 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

I too have had a very small leak from the sump plug after dealer service. Took ages to show up, by which time the undertray was swimming in the stuff Not even worth taking the car back, just fixed it myself.
Old 03 October 2007, 12:45 PM
P1_BEN
Scooby Regular

My Impreza's have been going to Walldonway for about 5 years now and never had any issues, Bruce is always very helpful and seems to do everything he can for me.
Old 03 October 2007, 07:48 PM
cos500
Scooby Regular

Glad you got that sorted mate, potential nightmare avoided, if they mess up a routine service god knows what they do with the more complicated situations they come accross.
Old 03 October 2007, 10:12 PM
p1prodrive
Scooby Regular

cheam motors are one of the sponsors on p1woc but they have been faultless in the sense of deals and discounts on all parts for many members but i dont know with the service side ?

gary is the guy that sorts everything for the lads on the site so maybe give him a bell and go from there.

matt
Old 04 October 2007, 09:12 AM
MY06WRXboy
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the comments. I think I'll just avoid Cheam altogether...
Old 09 October 2007, 12:14 AM
MRSIMPSON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The service department were very rude to me when I had the crazy idea of asking them if they could take a look at my car as I'd just bought it and wanted someone to look over it...They wanted me to tell them how long I wanted the technicians to look at the car "we could look at it all day if you like"....w***ers.

Very condescending, I decided then that Cheam wouldn't be doing any work on my car.
Old 18 December 2007, 09:31 PM
MY06WRXboy
Scooby Newbie

It sounds as though I'm not the only person that's had issues with Cheam Motors!