Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

Which dealer for clutch judder?

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2001, 12:29 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mungo,

I've suffered from clutch judder from about 15,000 miles At the 15,000 mile service, B&C (from whom I bought the car new) said that they would check the clutch, but if the problem was down to normal wear and tear, they would bill me for the work. With my previous experience of B&C, I could guess what the outcome would be I then had a one off service (22,500 miles) with Mill Lane (v. good ) but forgot to mention the clutch (actually, see below )

At this point I changed to Cheam (great service BTW) But....after a certain amount of mileage IM wont entertain a clutch change. Cheam wouldn't do mine on this basis at my 30,000 mile service I also have the dreaded piston slap when cold, yet the directive at Cheam is that if the slap is not evident after the engine has warmed up, no chance of a warranty claim

Andrew (@Cheam) If I have my facts wrong on this, please feel free to flame me. But if you do, better pick up the phone and book me in

Edited to include more detail

Edited because I've remembered the following:
Mill Lane actually offered to change the clutch if I rebooked the car for another appointment, but, since I live nowhere near Basingstoke but happened to be down that way at service time, I (stupidly ) rejected their kind offer, thinking I would get it done locally (Cheam)

[This message has been edited by DavidLewis (edited 20 June 2001).]
Old 20 June 2001, 09:38 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Which of the following dealers has anybody had any joy with in getting a replacement clutch and flywheel under warranty for clutch judder? (MY99 27k miles)

Lancaster Pangbourne
Mill Lane
Cheam Motors
Bell & Colvill
Spring Park Motors

Thanks for any advice...
Old 20 June 2001, 10:40 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mungo,

I have experience of two of those dealers in your list. I purchased my car from Bell & Colvill and took it there for it's 1000 and 7500 mile services but due to poor customer service (too long a story) I have started going to Cheam Motors. I have to say Cheam Motors are absolutely excellent and when I took my car in for it's 15000 mile service (only 10,300 miles on clock) I just mentioned the occasional clutch judder and they volunteered to change the clutch without any prompting from me. Car was booked in for the next week, got a courtesy car and picked my car up again the same day. They also noticed the range on my alarm was rubbish (had to hold the remote against the window) and offered to fix that too without me even asking (had to have whole new alarm fitted). I had mentioned this to Bell & Colvill at the first service but they did nothing about it and to be honest I got used to it so forgot all about it.

Bell & Colvill = Wouldn't trust them to change the oil, Very snobby (even though I spent £21K with them, Constantly overcharge but say its an accident when you query it, Make you feel like they are doing you a favour letting you have your car serviced there, don'r even think about getting a courtesy car without 2 months notice.

Cheam Motors = Absolutely brilliant
Old 20 June 2001, 02:01 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Mungo

Another vote for Cheam Motors - my car was bought from there and is always serviced by them. I had the clutch done under warranty at about 18000 miles - no problems since. Car goes in for the 30K serivce on Monday. Highly recommended. Speak to Andy Barker if you need any more details.

Chris
Old 20 June 2001, 02:13 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chaps, just what I was looking for.
Old 20 June 2001, 04:33 PM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Funny with all this clutch talk!

My car is going into Cheam Motors next Wednesday for a new clutch (P1 housing) and flywheel.

Not even getting it serviced, although some new toys may go on!!!

Andy

[Edited due to typos, spelling and grammer!! ]

[This message has been edited by Andy Tang (edited 21 June 2001).]
Old 21 June 2001, 10:49 AM
DavidLewis
Scooby Regular

Mungo,

I've just had a long chat with Andrew re my above post. I suggest that you do too

Old 22 June 2001, 04:16 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave

Car going in week after next for a diagnosis.

Cheers
Guy
Old 24 June 2001, 02:14 PM
Jim Dunleavy
Scooby Regular

I have to say Cheam Motors are absolutely excellent and when I took my car in for it's 15000 mile service (only 10,300 miles on clock)

Why did you have the 15000 mile service at 10300 miles? My owner manual (MY99) states that the oil should be replaced at least once a year or at 7500 mile intervals. A lot of posts on this bbs seem to refer to mandantory oil changes at 6 months, no so for the later models. Why waste money on unnecessary services.
Old 25 June 2001, 09:51 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Jim,

If you read the little sticker on the drivers door (The one advising you to let the car idle for 1 minute) you will see that the oil must be changed every 7500 miles or 6 months WHICHEVER is sooner. Failure to do this will invalidate your waranty.

Thats why I had the 15,000 mile service done at 10,500 miles. Also I am a bit obsessive when it comes to looking after my car and I would much rather have it serviced every six months for peace of mind.

Also when it comes to sell, which car would you buy? A car which has been serviced every six months or a car with big gaps in the service history?? You don't buy a car like an Impreza and then skimp on the maintenance.
Old 25 June 2001, 09:55 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Jim

Why risk your pride and joy by scrimping on regular servicing? My MY99 (surely a "later model") has a sticker on the driver's door saying that the oil must be changed every 6 months or 7500 miles, whichever is sooner.
I guess if the warranty isn't important to you, then you take your chances....
Old 25 June 2001, 07:15 PM
Jim Dunleavy
Scooby Regular

I don't disagree thats what the sticker says, but, the owners manual atates that the oil and filter be changed every 7500 miles or 12 months. I reckon that sticker hasn't changed its format in years, whereas the owners manual gets updated regularly. Anyway modern synthetic oils certainly last longer than 6 months. I've been working on cars for quite a time and do all my own maintenance (that way I know its been done correctly, not by some 16 year old apprentice). As long as genuine subaru parts are used there will not be a problem with the warranty. Anyway have a look at the routine service schedule in the handbook re oil change intervals.

[This message has been edited by Jim Dunleavy (edited 25 June 2001).]
Old 26 June 2001, 02:29 PM
Jerry B
Scooby Regular

Mentioned my clutch judder to Gatwick Subaru about 18,000 if not earlier during services, had a discussion about how they're all bad and didn't really follow it up, but it was driving me nuts, so around 35,000 mentioned it again and booked it in. They changed it under warranty. This one's not perfect but heaps better than before, just a bit harsh. The original was absolutely dire!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mungo:
<B>Which of the following dealers has anybody had any joy with in getting a replacement clutch and flywheel under warranty for clutch judder? (MY99 27k miles)

Lancaster Pangbourne
Mill Lane
Cheam Motors
Bell & Colvill
Spring Park Motors

Thanks for any advice...[/quote]

Old 09 July 2001, 10:10 AM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just a quick update.

Cheam Motors fitted new P1 clutch on Thursday, and it's great. Thanks to Andrew (svc mgr) for all his help.
Old 09 July 2001, 08:57 PM
ArchieP1
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Mungo

Can recommend Lancaster Pangbourne..

My P1 suffering judder at 15,000 miles..
Called Lancasters who said to bring it in so they could inspect it.

Thought they were going to give me some bad news but when I called up to see if they had inspected it they had already fitted the new clutch under warranty..

Just for this I am allowing them to fit my new SS exhaust (well thats my excuse anyway)

Simon